“It goes in the "this is a find" list” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Californian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Berkeley
“It goes in the "this is a find" list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We eat at Fifi's regularly when we stay in Pacific Grove/Carmel. The deal is the early bird special which is a fixed price menu with multiple choices. We then add a little of this or that if we want.
I want to talk about the service. The archetype French waiter is supposed to be nasty and condescending. These guys are great. Mature individuals that know how to cater to the dinner, not some high school student who just wants the shift to end.
What also makes Fifi's great is that we can have the early bird special then get into Carmel in plenty of time to catch a play by the Pacific Rep or one of the other theater or music groups.
Define high recommendation

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Off the tourist path, in a strip mall, worn exterior - GEM.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

If you find yourself on the way to or the way back from Pebble, County Club Gate, East Side off HWY 68, around dinner time, considering dropping into Fifi's. It is small, not too many tables. The worn exterior of the building and strip mall location, near Trader Joe's, may be a put-off but do not be deceived. The staff is very attentive, courteous and non-intrusive. The host and hostess a bit quirky, in a pretentious way, but they certainly take pride in what they do. Thank God I got there before the ban on foie gras, as I was able to enjoy Fifi's version, delicious! I had the Sole Meuniere which was perfectly done. My dinning partner had the Gnocchi aux Epinards and raved about it. We skipped desert, but the selections looked tempting. They have a great wine list, surprisingly few french wines compared to their California selections. The wine bar is small, but looks like you could have some fun. Plenty of by the glass selections which is awesome when you are not up to downing a half a bottle of wine! An off-the-path treat where locals eat, avoid the tourist traps and give Fifi's a try, you'll enjoy it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Strange tastes”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I went here recently for appetizers and drinks. We did not have a meal, if that makes a difference. We were quite disappointed. The escargot itself was nice, not gritty or anything, but seemed to be prepared without garlic and resting in a puree of either dry, old, bad parsley or lawn clippings, which is what it tasted like. Big disappointment there. We also had the crab cakes, which appeared beautifully prepared but were missing something. Oh, yeah, crab. They tasted like toasted bread and mayonnaise.

The beer was not very cold either, but this place appears to be focused on wine, so not points off there. The service was fine and no complaints there. Just the cook. Could not be a chef. There are so many wonderful places to eat in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area that this place should be avoided at all costs, unless we were there for an off day???

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Beaverton, Oregon
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We read all the reviews for Fifi's and thought it would be a great place to try. The help was very, very friendly, nice, and attentive. I'm sure most people who go there order wine but it was a very hot day and we wanted an ice-cold beer. The beer was served warm for both of us ... so warm I couldn't even drink it. Before we ordered our lunch, we decided to order a couple of appetizers. We ordered the crab cakes, which were not good at all. If they had crab in them, I couldn't taste it. There was just a bunch of fillers inside of them -- not even nice spices to spruce it up. I have to say they looked very pretty and they were very crisp on the outside, but the inside was such a disappointment. We also ordered the escargot. Being a French restaurant I thought these would be outstanding .... wrong!!! OMG, the escargot tasted like lawn clippings, and they looked like lawn clippings were sprinkled on them too, which I didn't mind the look of them because I've had them in Paris and they looked green-colored but tasted excellent. These had absolutely no garlic or spices in them. I guess if you like very, very bland food, this is the place for you. I happen to love lots of garlic on my escargot and a nice blend of spices. The size and texture of them were very nice, but, again, such a disappointment when I ate one. Needless to say, we could not drink the warm beer, eat the bland crab cakes, or the tasteless escargot so we decided not to chance ordering lunch there. Again, the place is very cute inside and very friendly, but I really would rather have had a nice meal.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Still a favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Have eaten dinner there a few times over the past several years and was always impressed by the food, value, service and overall atmosphere. This last time I was there for lunch and I enjoyed it just as much. My Tuscan pasta was perfectly prepared, while my colleagues praised their selections (the Idaho trout and an interesting presentation of a croque monsieur) as well. The wine list is quite reasonable and the wine store that is part of the place also has some good deals (on a previous visit there, I overheard a customer gushing about a bargain -- so I picked up a couple of bottles and was pleased at the find). Fifi's represents what I like best about PG dining -- great food, good value, relaxed atmosphere...in short, everything you want to enjoy a fine meal. Service is attentive and friendly. This will continue to be a regular place when I am able to get to the Monterey Peninsula.

• 5 of 5 stars Food