“Perfect place for 2 couples to share a suite” 5 of 5 stars

Pacific Gardens Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Asilomar Blvd, Pacific Grove, CA 93950   |
Ranked #3 of 16 hotels in Pacific Grove
Los Altos, CA
“Perfect place for 2 couples to share a suite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My sister's husband was going to attend a legal conference in Monterey, so they invited us to share a house. I suggested booking a 2 bedroom suite at the Pacific Gardens in Pacific Grove. It is close to Monterey and close to places we could walk to; Asilomar Beach, Point Puntas Lighthouse, Pacific Grove museum, the Monarch Butterfly preserve. (we are walkers). The suite had a full kitchen (which we didn't use because we ate out except for the continental breakfasts at the Inn.) The best part was the comfortably sized living room with gas starter fireplace. We were able to watch baseball playoff games on the TV and visit with each other. If you have two separate hotel rooms, you aren't together that much. One bedroom has a double sized bed, and the other has 2 twin beds. It looked like the carpets, drapes, upholstery were new. The bathroom looked upgraded too. You get your own carport parking space.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

An older motel / B&B in a marvelous location. A throwback to the 50's and 60's but very clean. Our suite had a large sitting room, wood burning fireplace, full kitchen, huge walkin closet and a garage! Across the road from the beach. Extremely pleasant and helpful staff, both Kelly on check in and Robert the next am. Kelly gave us a great dinner recommendation, the Fishwife down the street. Hope to have an excuse to go back sometime, both to the Inn and the restaurant.

Room Tip: We had 109 .. no view but very quiet and private and with a garage.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Meadow Vista, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The rates and location are attractive but aging decor and facilities are taking a toll. ////it works well if you are only "sleeping" there, but if you plan on spending time around the room it leaves a lot to be desired. Close to excelant resturaunts and things to do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Although we only stayed overnight at the Pacific Gardens Inn, it is a place we certainly will go back to and stay longer in the future! Starting with the ease of booking and the next morning checking out, it was all very friendly. We have 2 dogs we travel with so we had a pet friendly room. There was no smell or prior doggie visits and everything was very clean. We loved the fireplace and the fact that it burned real wood, not some fake fireplace! The cheese and wine in the afternoon was great...just enough to get us thru until dinner at one of the local places. The same with breakfast the next morning. They had hard boiled eggs, bagels, muffins and fruit along with coffee and juice. The charge for all of this was very resonable and that is why we will stay longer next time! Of course the location was perfect, just across from a short walk to the beach. See you again next time, Robert and staff!

Room Tip: Request rooms on the second floor. It seems a little more quiet toward the back and you get a great...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orangevale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This may have been my third or fourth stay at Pacific Gardens Inn. I have stayed with my sister, with a traveling companion, and by myself. This time, I received an upgrade from the mini suite to a larger suite(Room 212, I believe) with a nice view to the west towards the ocean. If I opened the windows, the breeze from the coast was delightful. This larger suite had a full kitchen, large refrigerator, a stove, dining table and chairs. There was a foldout couch in the living room and a double queen bedded separate bedroom. Televisions in both rooms. The room was in the back of the property.
Bathroom had a screen window to let out the steam from the shower/tub. The InnKeeper is Robert who has a hands on approach to the management and is usually around to chat with the guests. The front desk staff are pleasant. The maids are very nice as well.
Breakfast is fine: juice, coffee, bagels with creme cheese or jelly, various pastries, apples, bananas, two types of cereal.
There is a wine and cheese evening reception.
I like this place. It is casual. There is a hot tub. Dogs can stay in some of the rooms. I can stroll across the street and walk on the grounds of Asilomar State Park where I usually took a morning hike along the beach before breakfast.
There is a Trader Joes, a Safeway, and a SavMart fairly close to do some grocery shopping. One night, we bought a pizza from Mountain Mikes, another night we dined at Peppers in town or a local Thai Restaurant that is located in a white cottage in town.
The Pacific Grove Triathalon was taking place on the Saturday that I was leaving and that was exciting with the bicyclists racing along the beachfront road.
I like to hike and there are plenty of places to hike along the coast toward 17 mile drive or toward the coastal golf course.
One day I drove into 17 mile drive and parked at a delightful beach complete with restroom facilities and hiked towards Carmel. The views were spectacular.
I expect to return to the Pacific Gardens Inn. From time to time, I get emails telling me about specials at the Inn. It's a very relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Every room I have chosen has been good. I would say try to get a room near the back of the property...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had not staryed not overnight in Monterey area for many years. Used AAA guide and Trip Advisor to search for places. When I called to make a reservation, I did not receive or need a -reservation number just my name so I suspetcted this stay was going to be good. Location is across the street from Asilomar and walking distrance to the lighthouse , the beaches , and the Fish Wife restaurant. There is a free trolley stop nearby to go to Cannery row and downtown Pacific Grove and tour the beaches. Everyone on their staff from the maid service to the desk to the owner are accomodating. The place is quiet, clean, and the friendly atmosphere extends to the guests. People from around the world were staying with singles, couples, and families mingling around breakast and the afternoon wine and cheese time. The breakast was basic and just right to start the day with everyone partaking of the those famous scones. I did enjoy the hot tub Jucuzzi . Their free wi-fi internet was great.

If you looking for the newest most up to date accomodations, go to the big resort hotels and pay the prices. We did not have A/C (not needed), full hot buffet breakfast( like make your own waffles), or honor bar. We did have free wi-fi internet , coffee maker , popcorn/popper , refrigerator, etc,in the room, The place is quiet.
I was having car trouble the night I arrived and wanted to go to Hearst Castle the next. day. The owner drove me to the rent a car place in Seaside to make sure I could make the trip. The staff knows the area. A great long weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor if you do not want to use staris.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

2 -24 hr hot tubs, beach a short walk. Room we had was 2 bedroom, one bath, nice livinginroom with wood burnig fireplace and full kitchen. Vey quiet and staff very friendly. Fairly short drive to Monterey Aquarium and Carmel Mission.
Nice but limited breakfast-hard boiled eggs, cereal and pastries.

Room Tip: We have liked all we stayed in and all should be quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pacific Gardens Inn? Share your experiences!