“Superb Italian food, incredible ambiance!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Superb Italian food, incredible ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Had it not been for the reviews on Trip Advisor, we would have missed this gem on our recent visit to Pacific Grove. What an incredible Italian restaurant experience. From the moment you enter the restaurant, you feel welcomed. The decor is warm and inviting. The owner immediately came over to our table and welcomed us. We started our meal with prosciutto di Parma, so fresh it melted in your mouth. My friend and I also shared the potato leek, onion broccoli soup as well as the beet salad. Delish! For our main entrees our table split the gnocchis, due to the owner's recommendation - the most amazing light, pillowy gnocchis I have had outside of Italy...fantastic! My husband had a carbonara dish as well as a side dish of meatballs. Once again the best Italian dishes I have ever had in the US, and my in-laws are Italian. To top off our meal, we had the classic Italian dessert, tiramisu. Wow!! If you are in the Pacific Grove area, don't miss out on this incredible restaurant. You won't regret it.

Visited July 2013

San Francisco Bay Area
“Excellent Italian in a friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had reservations last Thursday night, and were seated promptly. After reading YELP reviews, we wanted to try the tagliolini carbonara as a first course, and were delighted with the smoky pancetta flavor infused throughout the creamy carbonara. We both had the filet mignon, which was tender and flavorful, and the spinach and potatoes were seasoned perfectly.

The only thing I would change is how we ordered our steaks cooked. I asked the server for "pink" and was advised to order "medium". We ordered our steaks medium rare and medium, and I would say they were more like medium and well done, as mine was definitely more brown with a hint of pink in the middle.

No matter, the meat was delicious, so I didn't bother to ask to have it re-done. I will remember to ask for "medium-rare" next time, although I supposed it depends on the chef.

The home-made cannoli was a delightful ending to a wonderful meal. The server told us that one of the employee's mother makes the cannoli shells each day.

Our server, a friendly young woman, was outstanding - efficient and friendly in a very natural way.

The coffee was excellent, and serving carbonated water by the carafe for $2 was a bargain compared to most restaurants.

The only reason I didn't give this five stars was that the chairs weren't very comfortable (think antique wooden desk chair), which probably helps them turn the tables over more quickly. I realize that the furniture is a part of the charm, however, the first chair I sat down in was so uncomfortable, I had to ask for a new one immediately. The bus person, who was great, was quick to bring a better chair over, and he shook his head in sympathy when he saw the condition of the first chair.

We learned from our server that many people order different dishes to share, including their entrees, so we may try that approach next time, so that we can sample more of their menu.

Overall, we had a good experience at Il Vecchio and look forward to returning.

Visited June 2013
Chico, CA
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you like Italian food, do not pass up this place. If you have never been to Italy and you want to enjoy Italian food that would be excellent over there, do not pass up this place. If you like Italian wines and have difficulty finding a decent selection, do not pass up this place. Might be the best restaurant we've ever eaten in--and it's modestly priced. Food and service can't be beat. We might even make it a habit of staying nearby on longer trips just so we can dine here!

cbrazas
“One of the best meals I've ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is not the most expensive meal I've ever had, but it is without a doubt one of the best. The owner explained the special salmon to me before I ordered. It had the crunchiest crust and was so tender - perfectly cooked. Everything else, the ambiance, the service, the wine were excellent. I wish I lived locally so I could try other dishes.

South Berwick, Maine
“Authentic Scilian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Gathered with a large Scilian family and friends and enjoyed a variety of dishes that riviled in comparison to Italy. Everything we ordered made from scratch, fresh with beautiful herbs and spices. They accommodated our party of 12 graciously, service was perfecto!