“Excellent food in an intimate setting” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
San Francisco Bay Area
“Excellent food in an intimate setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had reservations on a Friday night, and were seated promptly when we arrived. We started our meals with the baby spinach salads with blue cheese, toasted walnuts, and pomegranate dressing. A light and refreshing way to prepare for our main course.

My husband had the Wahoo (Hawaiian) fish, which he said was cooked perfectly. I had the Cioppino - prawns, scallops, fish, and mussels in a saffron-tomato broth that was to-die for. Although the shellfish were cooked perfectly, the fish seemed a little on the dry side, but I imagine it's difficult to get everything just right in what is essentially a fish "stew". No matter, I could have consumed the broth by the quart, it was that good! It was served with a toasted bread slathered with a pesto sauce. (Personally, I would have preferred to have less pesto, or maybe have it on the side, but I'm sure it's a matter of preference.)

Although we were more than full, we wanted to try a dessert, so we finished our meal with a mango mousse. Light and flavorful, it was the perfect end to a wonderful meal.

Eric, our server, was a delight and we enjoyed talking with him throughout the evening. We also met Max's wife, a gracious, welcoming hostess whom we could see keeping a close eye on everything through the dinner service.

All-in-all, our experience at Max's was a great one, and we are looking forward to returning!

Visited June 2013

Orange County
“Fine Pacific Grove Dining at Max's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Pacific Grove is a very special place. Mellow, friendly, beautifully situated, it gets lots of visitors but has not become a Pacific coast theme park vying for tourist dollars. Its genuine qualities are what make it such a delight to visit. Max's is in that tradition. The menu is sophisticated and appropriately priced. The wine list is good and fairly priced, the service friendly, informed and unpetentious. This venue is open limited hours, Tu-Sun 5-9.
I particularly like the Duck Our Way with confit and duck mousse raviolis. Do look at their inventive menu. http://www.maxgrill.com/sample_menu.htm
The have a $25 prix fixe menu as well as a la carte. I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Visited June 2013
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We are having dinner at Max's on a Sat night, why there is no wait? I don't know. I had the cioppino, it was sweet, a nice change from what I have had in other restaurants. My husband had the rack of lamb, mustard encrusted and done perfectly. YUM. So glad we came!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Everything was good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing a review of Max's Grill because I read a bad one about their service and I wanted everyone to know that our service was absolutely not bad. If anything it was a bit too prompt. The owner lady was very friendly and helpful.
I chose the price fixe option. I had the pot roast which was a bit too rich for me but my wife and daughter chose other options that were very tasty.
We went in the middle of the week and were a bit early but there were not many patrons the whole time we were there. I don't know what that means.
The food was leaning toward California fancy but not overly so. A good choice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Volcano, California
“Our first visit--But not our last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

In prior years we have enjoyed several meals each at Passionfish and Fish Wife, and occasionally at other venues in Pacific Grove. But after last night's meal at Max's Grill, we might pass the others by and eat here instead.
We started with an appetizer of delicate tempura prawns. Marvelous! My wife then had the Rack of Lamb and I had the Cioppino. Both were SUPERBLY DELICIOUS! And each dish was an artistic presentation on the plate.
The service was attentive, but never intruding.
Not to be missed!