“Great meal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Clovis, California
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The food was incredible and the servers were fun, knowledgeable and attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Max's.

Santa Cruz, CA
“Food was great, service poor.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We ate at Max's for the first time a few weeks ago. I had an art show down the street and thought we had plenty of time to eat before the opening reception. Wrong! We ordered the sand dab tempura as an appetizer. It was huge, enough for two, but took a long time to arrive. It was very good though, and very hot. My wife ordered the special soup of the day, which was butternut squash soup. It was very good as well. I ordered the caesar salad and asked for anchovies with it. When the salad finally came it had no anchovies on it. After finally getting her attention, she brought over a bowl of anchovies. I had already eaten a third of the salad by the time she brought it to me. The dressing was excellent. Then we waited and waited for our main course. I had to call her over (which took a while to get her attention) and tell her we had an event that we were going to be late for. After that she brought our main course of which both were very good. Lastly, we ordered a desert to share. It came right up. I might add two things. First, there was only one other couple in the place when we arrived. Secondly, our waitress (who was very nice and very polite) is an owner of the restaurant. Her husband is the chef, and a very good one at that. The only reseon I gave the place an average score was the slow service. We even had to flag her down to get our water refilled! Prices were very reasonable for the quality of food we ate.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Best restaurant in Pacific Grove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Don't understand why this lovely Asian Fusion restaurant doesn't have 5 stars. Have eaten here countless times and always had amazing food, lovely warm service from the wait staff and Max' wife. The ravioli dishes are out of this world, as is everything else.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Could be 5-Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Oct 24, 2012

After surveying the resto offerings in the small town of Pacific Grove, a few minutes from our B&B, I selected Max's Grill. I chose the cioppino with a salad and a crab cake starter. This with my wife's dinner and drinks cost $64. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals paired with the drinks.
There is something amiss here. First, the name of the resto can be misleading to some. It is not a grill but a fine dining resto. Second, for the level of quality and entrees, I am not sure that Pacific Grove is the best location and match. Despite our fine dinner, there were only a handful of diners during the course of the evening.
I can recommend this restaurant in Pacific Grove.

Princeton, New Jersey
“Adequate food - a bit dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Solid food, nothing special. We had sand dabs and ciopppino, which were fine if a bit salty. Menu stuck about 15 years ago; price very good.