“Fantastic Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seven Gables Inn

You added Seven Gables Inn to your Saves list
Seven Gables Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   555 Ocean View Blvd., Pacific Grove, CA 93950   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Pacific Grove B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Escondido, California
“Fantastic Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We only spent one night....but would gladly have spent several more! From the warm welcome, the Wine happy hours, sumptuous breakfast, the beautiful accomdations, friendly guests and to the outstanding view, every minute was well spent and worth every penny. There is a nice park and walk way across the street and only a 3 block walk up to down town for multiple dining choices. Quick drive to the 17 Mile Drive and most beaches.

The only concern, not really a complaint, would be the lack of secure parking...expect to park on the street.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Victoria room, nice views. Rooms in the Main and Beach house probably have better...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is one of the best country inns we have visited through our travels in Canada, USA, Europe and Asia. The location is simply amazing with spectacular view of Monterey Bay. This half an acre, 25-room property sits in a quiet residential neighbourhood by the waterfront. The coastal walking trail is just across the street and it leads up to Monterey Bay Aquarium in a leisurely 20-minute walk. Along the trail, you can easily spot sea otters, seals, sea lions and sea birds along the coast. The Inn is also very close to the scenic 17-Mile Drive and the charming European-style village of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Seven Gables Inn consists of several historic buildings, some as far back as 1880's. The owners spare no expense in restoring and maintaining the property in an immaculate condition. The gardens, the landscaping, the furnishings all show a lot of detailed attention. As soon as we arrived here, we felt like entering a timeless world of serenity and romance.

Our family of four stayed in the 1,200 sq. ft. Sea View Cottage which has 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room with fireplace, dining table, and a private deck and garden accessible from both bedrooms. This building dates back to 1900 but it looks like it's just been renovated. Everything is clean and looks brand new. The free WiFi worked well in the cottage. There's no air conditioning, and honestly, you won't need that. We were there late June and at night we had to close all the windows because it was chilly. Binoculars were provided for our use during the stay. They proved to be very helpful in our search for sea otters in the kelp forests along the coast.

Breakfast (included in the room rate) was another enjoyable part of our stay. It's served buffet style in the Oceanfront Dining Room and included fresh seasonal fruits, home made breads (YUMMY!) and pastries, and different hot entrees every day. The recipes are unique (you can buy their cookbook). The servers took time to talk to us about our travels and offered suggestions on what to do/where to visit in the area. We also enjoyed the complimentary afternoon wine and cheese served in the Main House.

The staff here was very welcoming, professional and efficient. After I received confirmation for my on-line booking, the staff contacted me by email a few times offering help with dining reservation, and asking if I have any special requests. Two weeks prior to our arrival, I received a welcoming message along with detailed arrival instructions (eg. driving directions, parking arrangements, where to check in, restaurant guides, etc.) We were given a tour of the property upon check in and were directed to our cottage. The hostess showed us the facilities inside our cottage and explained the breakfast arrangements. We were looking for laundry facility (which they don't have on site) and she referred us to a coin laundry 5 minutes' drive away.

There are 5-6 spots in their on-site parking, available on a first come first serve basis. Two of the spots are handicapped parking and can be reserved upon request. There are lots of free parking on the streets around the Inn. Depending on the building you're staying at, it may be more convenient to park on the street than the on-site parking.

This is a perfect place for a couple's romantic getaway, or for families with older children. Our 18-year old daughter enjoyed this place very much. Their rooms are not child proof, and the quiet atmosphere doesn't work with young children.

I am very pleased that I picked the Seven Gables Inn instead of the hotels around Cannery Row in Monterey, even though Seven Gables is more expensive. It's worth it!

Hats off to the owners and staff for a job well done! Look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. They have a strict policy on maximum number of guests allowed in each room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I first saw this Inn when I was driving around Monterey with a girl friend and I made her stop so we could get a better look. We were graciously offered a tour by the owners when we stopped in to ask more about this beautiful destination, and I knew then that I would be returning with my husband for a romantic special occasion weekend. Unbelievable is the word I often use to describe every aspect of our stay. From the moment you walk in, to the moment you unwillingly have to return home it is a magical time of gracious and relaxing elegance. Every room has a view, and the common rooms are just as special with the sweeping views of the ocean combined with the warm conversation of other guests as you share the sumptuous breakfasts, wine and cheese offerings in the afternoons, or the milk and cookies in the evenings.
Even after we moved from California twenty years ago, this has remained our most desired destination for vacations and special celebrations and I think it always will. It never disappoints!!!

Room Tip: Every room has a view, there is not a bad one to be had.
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I have been meaning to drive up the California coast from Orange County to see Big Sur and the Monterey Peninsula for some time, and I finally decided that her birthday was the perfect excuse to get away and to do it right. I was originally considering hotels in Big Sur itself, but they didn't seem to fit the bill for us. Most aren't actually on the coast (no sea views), or are too rustic, or are too isolated from the rest of civilization. So I moved my search into the Monterey / Carmel area, and encountered some of the same problems. Many of the wonderful Inns and Hotels in Carmel and Monterey don't actually sit on or near the shore. For me, the whole point of a weekend at the coast is to see and experience the ocean as much as possible.

Which brought me to the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. I am not typically a "Bed & Breakfast" type. I don't want to become best friends with the innkeeper, or chat with the other guests at breakfast. But the location of the Seven Gables, right on the water, won me over.

We booked the Rocky Shores Room for the weekend and enjoyed panoramic views of the ocean from two different windows. We fell asleep each night, and woke up in the mornings, to the sounds of the waves gently washing over the rocks at the shoreline just a few yards from the Inn. That is true luxury. The King-size bed was amazingly comfortable, and everything about the rooms (including the notable absence of a television) seems designed to enhance a quality romantic getaway for two.

We did enjoy the nightly cheese & wine reception, and the excellent breakfast. And we chatted at breakfast with another couple who told us more than we ever wanted to know about the history of the Porsche automobile. Oh well.

The Inn is within walking distance of Cannery Row in Monterey (about 1 mile away along a gorgeous seaside pathway), and a short drive to Carmel.

I don't always go high-end with our lodging. I'll stay in a Motel 6 if it fits my lodging needs, and more often than not end up in a Courtyard by Marriott or the Embassy Suites. But for a special occasion, I am willing to spend what it takes. The Seven Gables Inn certainly made our occasion special, and it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: The website lets you reserve specific rooms, and has pictures that do an excellent job showing you w...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here on 4th July weekend.One night in Steinbeck room and other in arbor.Both were beautiful in their own ways.Steinbeck has limited view of ocean but room decor is classy and sophisticated.
The staff was really good and they gave us tour of their B&B and escorted us to our room I have never had such experience before.in the evening they have wine testing with local cheese and at night home made cookies with Milk in their main house I felt every thing was very special
Breakfast was good too.
Next day we moved to Arbor room.I would definitely recommend this room for two things one it has wide ocean view with garden view.and other is it has its own private entrance which is kind of cute.I love sketching and I am posting a sketch of Monterey bay view from the room.

Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The property of Seven Gables is amazing - gorgeous flowers, beautiful landscaping, and of course the location does not get any better being right on the bay! The room had everything you could need (water, granola bars, glasses, wine opener, bathroom toiletries, tour books and maps, robes) - the bathroom was very nice and clean and well stocked with plenty of towels. The bed sheets were sooo soft! We enjoyed the complimentary wine and cheese/snacks one evening - they give you plenty to hold you over until dinner! The cookies in the evening were a fun treat as well! During breakfast I watched sea otters in the bay with binoculars. The views are amazing throughout the property and in the breakfast room/reception room. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. They helped us select restaurants, and packed us a brown bag "breakfast to go" for the one morning we were out and about before breakfast was served at 8. I was hesitant to book the stay here due to the high cost (it was by far the priciest B&B we found in the area and still may be a bit overpriced), but it was a great way to end our vacation and did not disappoint.

Room Tip: We chose the Steinbeck room in the Beach House which was less expensive than some of the other more...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Wonderful b and b experience. We have stayed here three times and are never disappointed. We took my parents and stayed in the 2 bedroom carriage house behind the main house on our trip last summer and it was lovely. This is the vacation in itself. Seven gables was booked full on our whale watching trip in march and we tried the lovers point inn nearby and at $99 it is fine as a motel but makes you realize the difference a place like seven gables makes. Yes at $300 a night it is pricey but we will save our money, plan a little more ahead. Breakfast wonderful, hosts wonderful and waking upnto sea lions out the window of a historuc home is, as they say, priceless.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Seven Gables Inn? Share your experiences!