“Shaggy at best” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Oxnard
San Diego
“Shaggy at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

To start - Oxnard, CA is not the place you would want to spend any time. We need to be in the Santa Barbara and I picked Oxnard just for the cheap rates and proximity. Big mistake. Spend 20 bucks more and look at Ventura. Now - the hotel is a typical cheapo one nighter. Very shaggy, dirty carpets, drunks. They had the whole Mariachi band playing on the back alley house near by. Said that - bedding was clean and beds surprisingly comfortable. And when you turn on the AC unit you can't hear anything but it.
Bottom line: If you can - stay away. If you can't - you will survive with no pleasant memories acquired

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Non-Smoking rooms smelled like cigarettes.
Shady looking people were constantly hanging out in the parking lot.
Families that were apparently living at the hotel let their kids run/scream/bang on doors until past 2am.

This place was miserable and the night manager did nothing to help stop the noise.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Within the first 20 minutes we found 3 roaches. Ruined our sleep! If we could have left we would have. We were here from out of town (sf bay area) for a track meet for our daughter. Stopped here to rest before traveling anymore, the meet was the next day. Highly upset! while in the office, 2 other people had walked in to complain about the roaches in their room. Disgusting place! After complaining they acted like they couldn't do anything about it. Never staying at a motel again. I will pay the extra 40 for a motel!

• Stayed June 2011
Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We only chose this hotel due to our Best Rewards card - looking back we should have done a little more research about the area.
There were funny characters in the area - drunk people and soforth - and the state of the Hotel was not acceptabel Vagabond Inn standard!
Don't stay there with children!!!
Poor maintanance and cleaning and no really breakfast - only coffee and muffins.
Even the price for one night wasen't that good :-(

Pool was not cleaned either!

If you want a decent breaktast visit nextdoor Dennys - breakfast was a treat!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This is an ordinary older motel - it's a 2 star - I'm rating it based on being a 2 star motel...not comparing it to a 4 or 5 star. I'm always looking for value, because when I travel I'm not looking for some lux place I'm going to be in just to sleep and shower. I'm looking at the $$, location convenience and how helpful/polite the staff is ~ just hate it when I'm paying for employees to be rude to me. This rates high for me, just because it's a good value, the location was right, and the staff was helpful, kind and told me no lies.

I had no reservation, got into town on a moments notice due to an illness suffered by one of my family members. So I popped in at the last minute on Labor Day weekend, asked for a room with a good rate, and they gave it to me. I accepted a smoking room because I used to smoke and cigs don't bother me....it was truly a room that had been smoked in. In a way I like that, because I just WISH I could still smoke, and even like the smell still. LOL But....the bedspread was very old, and had cigarette burns in it (along with some stains) which was gross....but I'm not complaining because I agreed to that. The rate was under $70 a night even with taxes and fees - which for the area was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. Several smaller, older, not even as nice motels down the street wanted $double$ what this place asked. And to try and stay in the marina? Forgeddaboutit ~ you're in the $100's per night. So yeah ~ older furnishings, cig smell, so-so old carpet, but that's what I asked for/agreed to. However they do have non-smoking rooms and I feel confident saying those rooms probably don't have the odor as they are strict about the smoking policies.

The positives are that there is a large microwave and small fridge, iron and board, hairdryer and great dressing table in the rooms. I absolutely loved the dressing table and lighting. The bath was just a bath. The noise from Oxnard Blvd couldn't be heard ~, the place was quiet even though I was there on Labor Day weekend and it was packed. There is a Denny's right next door....almost on the property itself. The pool was clean and clear and well maintained. Parking lot clean and parking is free. I didn't even try to use the internet so can't comment on that. What I will say is that I would stay at the Vagabond Inn again.

Room Tip: They have smoking, and non-smoking. If you are looking for a non-smoking, and they're full...mo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

Stayed last week in the 'family suite'. Had two double beds and a twin. Bed room was fine-clean and decent beds. Bathroom was clean and had good water pressure. Sitting room was not so good. Furniture was old and stained-felt gross to sit on. Pool was dirty. Free breakfast was wrapped muffins, juice and coffee and some apples and bananas. Housekeeping staff was very friendly. Some guests are obviously living here long term.

• Stayed August 2011
Springfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I needed a place to stay after diving the coast from LA to Santa Barbara and expecting to take a trip out to the Channel Islands in Venture. I just needed something simple at a good price within the area. That is exactly what the Vegabond Inn had to offer- a place to sleep. Just like the other reviewers said, this is not a place for someone who is looking for frills and mondern decore. The rooms are simple, the bathroom is okay. Though I did find the showerhead to be lower than normal.

The bed was very comfortable, room was clean, and no signs of bed bugs! They have a pool and Dennys is next door. The only complaint I have is the breakfast they offered. When I booked it, they said Continential Breakfast was included. Well their meaning of Continential is prepackaged muffins some coffee, and juice (if the machine works). I guess they do not want to take away from Dennys or something. Then again if you book this place on the right site, you can afford to go somewhere else for breakfast based on the savings!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Vagabond Inn? Share your experiences!