“Excellent service and nice resort” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Oxnard
Moorpark, United States
“Excellent service and nice resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We visited the Embassy Suites at Mandalay Bay for our anniversary. We had a pool/partial ocean view, which was what we could afford (and it was a complimentary upgrade), but the much pricier ocean-front suites looked fabulous. The style is Mediterranean/Polynesian and even though it is older, it looks clean and well-maintained. The staff was very friendly, sweet and went out of their way to be helpful. They upgraded us and sent a personalized card, champagne and chocolate strawberries to our room- nice! It was great to have a spacious suite with two bathrooms, a patio, two tvs, a fridge and microwave. The outside hallways felt stuffy and musty, but the air in the room was fine. Our suite was lovely and very clean. Hubby didn't care for the soft beds, but he has a bad back. I thought they were a bit squishy, too. The hotel location is right on the white sandy beach and also near the marina. There is an energy processing plant nearby, which takes away some of the charm. It's still a lovely place to walk or ride bikes, which you can rent at the hotel. The pool is very warm and has ponds and waterfalls surrounding it. There are also tennis and basketball courts. They include a hot breakfast buffet (omlette bar, etc.) and manager's reception (drinks, veggies and crackers) It feels like you are far away at a nice resort, and so you are paying resort prices. They charged $16 per night for parking, so beware. Kids were noisily playing in pool until closing at 10 p.m. They left promptly at that time, whether kicked out or on their own. Overall, we had an wonderful time and were impressed by the staff and service. We would come back again for a special occasion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our spacious guest suites, our location and our guest amenities. It is also nice to know that you received excellent service from our wonderful staff. We do charge a low fee for parking, but we do provide a number of complimentary amenities for our guests. We value your business and look forward to serving you again on your next visit!

838 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
san diego, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent location and stay. Right on the beach with large rooms and very courteous staff. Breakfast also well done! Attended a wedding here that was fantastic, with excellent banquet hall and facilities. Would return for a family vacation, especially with young kids. Channel islands setting is also very picturesque.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I appreciate you sharing your comments with us. I am so happy that you enjoyed our property and that the wedding went well! Yes, we are in a beautiful setting and we are so fortunate to have the Channel Islands just 12 miles offshore. Please do visit us again!

Centreville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were booked here for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to a presidential suite and wow, what a room that was. I have status with Hilton and were fortunate to get this. Briefly, the room has a huge common area with a large wall mounted flat screen, fridge, microwave and two small balconies. There were two additional rooms (bedrooms) with flat screens and ceiling fans. The master BR had a massive bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and separate shower. The other room had a bathroom and there was a 3rd bathroom in the main hall. The property is well maintained and it is a nice site but I have to say that I had my doubts when we passed a power plant with a smoke stack just a few miles away. The staff was very good and got us checked in quickly. They issue wrist bands so that you can be recognized as a guest as there are several properties close by and the beach is accessible to many who don't use the hotel. They also issue pool/towel cards to ensure that you return the towels. It has a nice tropical feel and they pipe music throughout the pool area and the restaurant. The food was good to very good at the restaurant. The breakfasts were good and the standard Embassy Suites fare although the fruit selection was limited to one fruit. There is a good selection and of course, they have cook to order for eggs. The eating area is big and lots of space to get your food and eat it. We got there early and had the place to ourselves but our kids got down there late and had to wait in line. The nightly Managers Reception is well received and you have to wait in line for both food and free alcoholic drinks. The staff set up a special table just for the kids so they could get their drinks. There is a game room for the kids that includes a ping pong table, foosball and some board games. The weather was too cool for the beach. It is a good walk to actually get to the water. There is an outside pool and hot tub both a fairly good size. All parking is underground and the cost is $16 per day for self parking. It's a bit of a drive to get to any decent shopping/eating but there is quite a bit to choose from if you take the drive. This location should not be considered a good location for getting into LA and back. The traffic was a challenge when we left and the drive seemed to take forever to get to LA proper. They offer (additional charge) bike rentals and other wheeled devices to get around although there isn't much to do or places to go. There is a path that runs around the property out and down to a very nice playground for kids (5-12 years) but that's pretty much it. This place has potential but just not wowed as expected for a visit to a resort (room cost too). The place lacked energy like other resorts we have stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I really appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. I am happy that overall you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed your beautiful, large suite. We are located in an ideal spot for those who are looking to escape the larger city and enjoy a tranquil experience. Traffic to and from Los Angeles can vary depending on the season and on the events that are taking place in the city and surrounding area. We do value your business, and I hope you will visit us again as we continue to update our property and guests services.

Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I'm a full-time business traveler. I spend 38 weeks on the road. I enjoy platinum/diamond status at all the majors. I know a little about hotels. (A little.) It's frustrating to see some of the negative reviews on this property. First off, this is a resort. If you're not a fan of standing in line, for an all inclusive, hot, and what most view as an incredible breakfast, then going to a well known resort at the height of the summer travel/vacation season is not a well thought out decision for you. The pool is great. There's only so many chairs the property can put out, due to space. And I think they've filled as much of it as they can with chairs. If you're unhappy that you are unable to find a chair , you should refer to my first 'first off,...' or bring your own. Happy hour, again, awesome. Best part...Open Bar! And not the watered-down, 'is there any alcohol in this?' happy hour other properties boast. Those bartenders are not stingy with it at all. (Don't forget to tip them, please. You didn't pay for the drinks anyway..) Admittedly, I did use a few of my points to get a nice Mandalay view room. Two bathrooms. Nice service area and huge balcony. Very nice bed. I didn't pay cash but would have been just as pleased if I did. There's a well maintained tennis court. There's basketball. There's ping pong! Two tables! There's a well stocked gym on the property for those who have the 'I need to run' guilt after a day or two of not doing anything. There are two incredible hot tubs on the property. Very nice temp considering how big they are. They shut them down at 10pm, which is nice if you want to turn in early, but sucks if you're one of the ones in the spa still feeling good from happy hour. Overall a good thing to shut it down though. The beach...its a beach. If you're upset about the beach your next review should be directed to mother nature. Besides a front desk staff who had the 'deer in the headlights' look on several occasions, this place is well worth it. Unless standing in line and an ocean that smells like, an ocean, bother you. Highly recommended as a getaway

Room Tip: Everyone wants the beach view. They are nice, but you can save a few dollars with a Mandalay View, a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The resort was a little older, but well kept, relaxing with the water fall outside our room, clean and upgraded. The service was expected at the pool, the restaurant and the front desk! Te beach was private, but cool in July, who would have thought!!! We would certainly return!

Room Tip: Beach or pool either one are great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay! Please do visit us again.

Pacifica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is very nice and everything that you'd expect from an Embassy Suites-actually more. The room was huge! I reserved a regular room with an ocean view. The view was great but the actual room was fantastic. Two bathrooms, two showers/1 bath, 1 double sink, 1 single sink. The room with the two queen beds was very roomy and had a flat screen. The room with the sitting room was also VERY roomy-flat screen, couch, bar with refrigerator and micro, desk. The only complaint I have about the room was that the sofa bed was extremely uncomfortable. The plan was to have my 12 year old son sleep there, but there was no way I was going to make him do that. The grounds of the are very nice. Great landscape and pretty paths to walk through. The managers reception and free breakfast were delicious. The pool area was nice and you could order food and drinks poolside. The hotel is right on the beach which had beautiful sand. You could rent different styles of bikes and surries to ride around, which was very convenient. Parking was convenient. There is also a rec room with flat screens, ping pong, and foos ball.Each building had its only elevator from the underground parking garage. Genius! My only other complaints are about the area around the hotel. Oxnard has a lot of fast food. I mean, a lot. We had a very difficult time finding a restaurant that wasn't fast food the first night. We did, however, find a couple nice casual restaurants very nearby on the second night. If you are looking for a beach vacation, Oxnard is not the place to go. The weather is not that nice. If you are looking for a nice hotel to stay at, this hotel will definitely make you happy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am so happy that you had a great visit with us and that you enjoyed your guest suite and the many amenities we offer. Next time you stay with us, you might visit Channel Islands Harbor which has a number of diverse and excellent restaurants, located next door to our property. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Corrales, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

OK. So I read reviews before going and was a bit apprehensive, but, I thought, what the heck and went anyway. I am now convinced that the negative reviewers are either competition trying to set a bad rep on the other guys or people who are simply rude, obnoxious, and impossible to please, or simply out to get a break on price or a free room. I have read reviews on this place that are soooo off-base, it's laughable. So, to set the record straight:
I am not hard to please, but am not easy to please either. I like to get my money's worth out of anything. I got to this place an was really surprised by the property grounds, the main building and surrounding areas. beautiful. It looks like something you would expect to see in Laguna Beach or Newport Beach--which is where I am now. The rooms are fine, clean, etc. Could use a bit of decorator help, but not at all bad. But, the grounds and pool and spas, etc.; beautiful, period. Tennis courts, basketball courts--bring your rackets; very nice. Staff was great, no issues at all. I suppose some may consider them rude if they don't wipe noses, but then again...I could go on and on. But, in a nutshell, I have come to believe that I cannot believe many of the reviews on TripAdvisor and that is sad. Competitors and outright unpleasant people post nasty, untrue reviews for their own agendas. This leads some to not trust anything. I am adopting a 50% rule: if at least 50% of the reviews are positive, I am OK with the place being reviewed. Ya' gotta throw out half of the bad ones as dubious, know what I mean?
I strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our property. I am so happy to hear about your impressions of our resort and that you had a good experience. We are very proud of our team and it’s nice to hear such positive feedback. Please do visit us again. We will look forward to your return!

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!