“Great Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Oxnard
Newhall, United States
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great experience. The pool was beautiful. The room was relaxing and peaceful. The location of the hotel was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed the easy access to the beach, which was clean and uncrowded.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am so pleased to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed our location. We look forward to your return!

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We had an extremely pleasant stay at the Embassy Suites Mandalay Bay. Our room was excellent, recently renovated, and had a view of the beach over the dunes. I would recommend getting at least a Beachview room (the interior courtyard rooms... meh) and asking for a higher floor so you can see over the dunes. We did not have to wait for a room to be ready but we arrived after check in time.

The pool was lovely and heated, the poolside food/beverage servers were great. The happy hour was adequate (hey, it's free). I think we only got up in time for the free breakfast (again adequate) but I HIGHLY recommend Mrs Olson's Coffee Hut just down the road. The beach is glorious, although foggy in the morning in June. Oxnard is a hidden gem, it's kind of a blue collar community so you're not paying as much for food and activities as you would in Santa Barbara or Malibu. Take time to boat out to the Channel Islands National Park, it's amazing.

I'm not sure what all the complaints about service are about. I found the service by the wait staff to be friendly and prompt and the managent was unobtrusive. I think people are maybe expecting the kind obsequious service you can not get from a mid-range hotel like an Embassy Suites. This is not a Four Seasons or you'd be paying $1000 or more for a 2 room, 2 bath suite on a gorgeous beach. I though $250 a night in the high season for such a spacious and comfortable room was very reasonable. I recommend it for comfortable family fun.

• Stayed June 2013
I really appreciate you writing about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious suites and beachside location. And, I am very happy to hear that you had excellent service during your stay. Please do visit us again!

Bakersfield, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here before but will never be back. We booked the ocean front room beach patio. We arrive at 2:15pm the say room not ready and wont be till 3. At 315 I speak to the hotel manager and tell him to leave us on the couch in the front lobby is unacceptable. I ask when is our going to be ready his answer is I DON'T KNOW how or better yet who put this guy in charge of a major chain hotel. Zero customer service. No I'm so sorry sir can I get you guys a drink lunch let me make you wait on the couch better. I stay else where then embassy suites from here on out after the hotel manager handle it this way. As I told him this is 100% unacceptable and your answer of I don't know is tacky. His reply you can sit by the pool.

• Stayed June 2013
I apologize that you did not have a good stay with us. Although our check-in time is at 3 p.m., we do try and accommodate our guests that arrive earlier, if at all possible. I am sharing your feedback with our management team as we do value your business. It is our goal to provide the best possible customer service to each and every guest. I hope you will reconsider staying with us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Pros: Excellent location, huge rooms, good value. Nice pool area, free drinks in the evenings. Overall, it's well worth staying here. Comfortable beds. Ocean view from many rooms. Great for families. Cons: Restaurant was mediocre at best. Breakfast was lukewarm food in steam trays. Key card didn't work in parking garage, and attempts to fix it failed. Maids knock on your door at 8 a.m. asking to clean the room, even though they can see the family relaxing in our pajamas. They did this every day. In-room coffee was undrinkable. At the breakfast buffet, it's not uncommon for key things (like spoons) to be absent. The game room was a mess, with pieces of board games scattered everywhere, and no one ever seemed to attend to it. There were just a lot of glitches that needed to be worked out. Oh, and if you call housekeeping to ask for something, expect that you'll have to call again an hour later to remind them.

• Stayed June 2013
I appreciate you sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our guest suites and our beautiful location. I am sharing your other comments with our management team as your feedback is very important to us so we can improve upon our services and amenities that we offer to our guests. I hope you will visit us again as we continue to improve upon our services.

Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I reserved a room well in advance because I wanted to be sure to get a room with a "beach" view. I was told that would cost extra. I explained that when I made the reservation on line, I had reserved a beach view room. The young girl kept me waiting for 10 minutes while she contacted her computer. Without explanation, she assigned me a room in Bldg 2, not on the sunset side of the facility but on the opposite, dark side of the hotel. And... right next door to a party of people (I counted 10) who had taken over the grassy area in front of our rooms, and had taken our patio furniture as well. Then... when we arrived there were dishes and food scraps in the hall, remains of someone's room service. We arrived on Sat... when we left on Mon the dishes were still there!!! The attitude of the young lady who checked us in was quite belligerent. When we saw our room and the situation there, I wanted to go back and complain but my wife prefers to just let things be and don't create a scene. So I said nothing. Also... when we went to our room, there were dishes from someone's room service in the hall. When we left 2 days later, the dishes were still there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I really appreciate you sharing your comments with us. I apologize that you did not receive excellent customer service. And, I am sorry that you were placed next to a private party – I know how frustrating that can be. We value your business and I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We just had our daughter and son-in-law's wedding here and we stayed at the hotel also. I have to say that they put on the best wedding I have ever attended in my life. My husband spent years telling our daughter to elope and he's now thanking her for not doing so. We feel that the wedding was worth every penny that we spent. We had a deluxe wedding right on the ocean and a premium reception for thousands less than comparable hotels. Lindy, the catering director, is so knowledgeable and such a pleasure to work with in planning a wedding. Every single detail of the wedding was carefully directed and even their referrals for vendors were top notch! All the guests hated to leave and are still raving about the wedding.
In addition, our stay at the hotel was super. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The rooms are spacious and beautiful. The resort is a true resort with lots of great activities. They have a wonderful pool that is really heated to perfection. There are also tennis courts, rental bikes and surrey bikes, basketball, volleyball, fitness center, hot tub, and the resort is right on the ocean with a great beach. In addition there are wonderful walking trails. We had such a great time that we are planning a future trip with our extended family.

Room Tip: Even the pool view rooms have a great view. The gardens and waterfalls around the pool make it a tro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are so honored that you selected our resort for your daughter’s wedding. I am so pleased to hear that the wedding went well and that you had an opportunity to enjoy our property and guest amenities during your stay. I am also very happy to hear that our team provided you with excellent customer service. We will look forward to having you and your family stay with us again!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel & location... I think that's what made the lack of customer service so shocking. We got to the hotel a little earlier than we expected & were told to come back at noon, that a room would be ready then. We went out for lunch & came back about 12:30 to check in & the person "helping" me was totally rude & said check in wasn't until 4. When I explained I was in earlier & was told to comeback at noon, he acting like I was lying until I showed him the guy earlier gave me bracelets to use the pool while we were waiting for our room. He finally reluctantly agreed to call my cell when the room was ready. I asked the valet for a cart to hold our luggage while we were waiting for our room & like a smart alec he to me to "keep my luggage in my car." So I then questioned if it was alright for me to leave my car parked in registration for several hours to which he replied no & decided to get me a cart. Customer service 101- the customer is always right. The pool is really beautiful & nicely landscaped with waterfalls. I finally thought we were going to be able to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather, but no...no towels & were told it would be at least 30 minutes. Really a beautiful day, with a booked hotel and no towels available at 1pm? I saw a waiter & was dying for a cocktail at this point. I watched as he literally did everything he could to nearly run past me & avoid all eye contact for nearly an hour. I just stayed at the Huntington Beach Hyatt a couple of weeks ago, servers see you immediately there & call you by name. I actually paid even less to stay at the Hyatt that my night at the Embassy Suites. I was so relieved when I finally got the call about my room being ready. It was around 3:30pm, do imagine my surprise when I had to jump over a hallway full of dirty breakfast dishes. My room was really nice except for the filthy condition of the patio, very dirty & bird poop (not fresh) everywhere. The "free breakfast" was a total nightmare...they were out of coffee! I asked several workers & rather than say they would make some more, they just kept telling people to use the other station, which was also out of coffee. The food station was full of empty plates & they only had one cook for the cooked to order breakfast with a ridiculously long line. Bottom line, location is awesome but are you willing to be treated like dirt? If you are looking for a true California beach experience, go to the Huntington Beach Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!