“Most enjoyable Embassy Suites” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Oxnard
wasilla
“Most enjoyable Embassy Suites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We love to stay at Embassy Suites properties when our schedule allows us to take advantage of the breakfast and manager's reception. This time we were only looking for a reasonably priced hotel for a quick 2 night stay, but still wanted a little "splurge'. We arrived before official check-in after traveling for more than 14 hours. We were pleasantly surprised to not only find our room ready, but it was the nicest Embassy Suites room we've stayed in for quite a while. Ate lunch at the restaurant (don't remember what we had, but it was excellent) changed clothes and went outside to try to nap by the pool...found a nice selection of available lounge chairs, both in the shade and sun. After a pleasant couple hours went out to check-out the beach (beautiful) and then returned to the grounds for Happy Hour(s). Again, one of the best we've had at Embassy Suites for a long time...better than usual selection of drinks (but the appetizers on a par with the rest...I know everyone's trying to make do with less, but I do miss the Embassy Suites appetizers/snacks of old). My first complaint of the day...since there are so many birds, it would be wonderful if either someone cleaned the outdoor tables at the beginning of the evening, or if a spray bottle of cleaner and paper towels was available for use.
Breakfast next morning was great, with the only complaint being, again, the dirty outdoor tables. Unfortunately we had to be gone all of this day, but returned in time for Happy Hour. Additional complaint (again the tables were not cleaned) was that there were more people, but only one bartender this night, so lines were long. We were told that this was the first night to try 1 bartender...didn't seem like the right night, since there were more people than the night before! Anyway, long waits for drinks.
Ordered room service, which arrived quickly, and again, good food. Next morning breakfast was more crowded, but we were fine with it. 4th time, however, that I made a trip to the restroom to get papertowels to clean the outdoor table. I'm sure some are thinking..."why not just eat indoors?" Well, eating outdoors is something I look forward to whenever we travel to warmer climes, as we don't do it often at home.
The hotel grounds are beautiful...I get tired of commercial enterprises having the same old landscaping. I wish I had had more time to enjoy the landscaping at Mandalay Beach Embassy Suites!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and our diverse, unique property. We are so pleased you enjoyed the spacious rooms we offer to our guests and the complimentary breakfast and Manger’s Reception. I am passing on your comments regarding the outside tables to our management team to take care of this for the future. Please do come back and see us again – it would be our pleasure to serve you!

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had been in downtown LA for business, and took a side trip to go sea kayaking in the Channel Islands. Looked for a place to stay in the vicinity, and the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach was the only one I could find with direct access to the beach. Being a Hilton Honors member, I didn't mind it. The rooms were a little dated in appearance, but the grounds were beautiful. I decided to splurge on an oceanview room, and was glad I did. Granted, we kind of had an angled view of the ocean, but more importantly, it was far enough from the pool area that I was able to have some peace and quiet. The hotel was full for the weekend, with all the kids running around, I was glad I was a bit farther removed (Building 8). I had booked a package with self-parking and internet, but didn't remember that it was for self-parking, so I got the valet parking. Luckily, they adjusted my final bill, but that was confusing. Also, breakfast was not available until 7 am, so the one morning I was counting on getting a substantial breakfast (the day of our sea kayaking adventure), we did not end up with any breakfast because we had to be at the harbor by 7. Thank goodness I had gotten some food at the grocery store! Breakfast on Sunday morning took over an hour because there was ONE person doing the omelets. I really take my hat off to him - he was working HARD, and still managed to smile and be courteous! I LOVE that they served Guava-Orange-Passionfruit juice in the morning - that was a true treat!! Also glad there was a second, more secluded hot tub that we were able to enjoy. I could have used at least 2 more days here to truly relax, and hope that I will get a chance to get back to the area again - really enjoyed the quietude of the Oxnard-Ventura area.

Room Tip: Building 8 is away from the main swimming pool and a bit quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We have recently undergone a major renovation of our guest suites, so we hope you will have an opportunity to return again to enjoy our lovely property. We are quite fortunate to be located directly on the beach and I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of the many water activities that are available to our guests. We do hope that you will visit us again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really love this particular Embassy Suites. The property is absolutely gorgeous and is wonderfully ,maintained. The staff is very helpful and accommodating.

The rooms are very comfortable, spacious, and clean

The only check I have about his place is the breakfast/happy hour area. I have stayed at dozens of ESs, but this particular dining area was kind of grimy (ie., sticky floors, messy counters, etc.). They really just need someone who maintains the cleanliness and organization of their breakfast area, not just collect dishes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your nice comments about our resort – we are very proud of our property and our staff! I am passing your comments regarding the breakfast/happy hour to our management team for review. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

North Hollywood, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

WOW! We just had the most amazing 2 days at this resort. Room 8303 is where all the picturess are from. I would actually try for 8301 or 7301 next time for a straight on view of ocean, but our stay was perfect. Park your self for 15 bucks/day and the underground parking goes all around the resort, so you can park under your buliding. Front desk was welcoming and accomidating. I went for an on line deal of the 2 queen suite and was not dissapointed. You walk into the living room,/bar area and the first of 2 (shower, sink and toilet) bathrooms, YES, 2 bathrooms, HOW COOL and how great with 4 people. living room has a TV and pull out couch with plenty of extra seating. There is a desk that rools and can be used as a dining table. Bedroom has 2 quees beds, plenty of closet and storage and 2 sink vanity. Tub/shower and toilet. Big soft fluffy towels. both the living room and bedroom have sliding doors that go a large open patio with outstanding views of the ocean and beach. This resort is right on the beach, it's the bike path and sand between you and the blue ocean. We roamed for beach glass and cool rocks. Kite fliers were out both days. Day 1 was dissapointedly overcast but day 2 was perfect.
We brought our own candle and ate ordered pizza on the balcony at night. 2 gals went to the bar and enjoyed the band. They had a managers drink and snack get together at 5-7 and free breakfast in the morning. Then back to the beach. To tell the truth we spent most of the time on the balcony people and ocean watching as boats and bords float by. DO NOT leave food out and walk away anywhere on the grounds. It will bwe covered with birds (mainly seagulls) within a few minutes.
Everything was perfect this weekend, from the staff to location to how easy and quick everything was. Can't wait to go back, already trying to figure out a date.

Oh yea, they have a pool, tennis and 2 jacuzzis. I found this place because a friend was married there, it's a hidden gem. Paradise.

It's family friendly but we seemed to be in a adult only area, which was cool, Lot's of couples and families at the pool area.

2 things to mention that were not perfect but I understand they have to be that way, the pull out bed not uber comfy for an adult and you can peep into your neighbours bedroom easily over the end of the balcony wall. This has to be or your view would be obstructed. Our neighbours were cool and we all chatted a bit.

Sleeping was so nice with the ocean air and the sounds. Take a jacket or sweater for the evenings and mornings.

Room Tip: ocean front, level one looks amazing, we had top floor and it was amazing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review! We do pride ourselves on the service we provide to our guests and our unique room configuration and wonderful seaside location. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities that we offer to our guests. Please do visit us again as it would be our pleasure to serve you!

Santa Clarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

After having stayed at the Embassay Suites, Mandalay Bay in Oxnard a couple of years ago, I thought it’d be nice to go back when the Hilton properties were offering a special for the month of September. It was a pleasant experience the first time I was there for a family wedding, but this time, not so pleasant. When we arrived for check-in, we asked to see some of the rooms that were available. The front desk clerks were okay. We saw a room that did not meet up to our standards, for instance, right by elevator, vending machine, ice machine and the room had a very odd odor to it. So, we went back, told them we were not pleased with the room and asked to see another room. We were sent to room 2119. This room was not fit for a dog! It was right next to a stairway, the view out the window was to the conference center that appeared to be a loading dock for meetings as well as the main heating/a/c unit that had a horrible, loud drone. At this point, I had had enough of their nonsense and we tried for another room. This time we were told that 2119 was it, there were no other rooms available. Well, after storming out and leaving my significant to deal with all of it, they came up with a room that was close to perfect. We checked into room 4202. We had a nice view of the waterfalls and garden below. The room was located close to the stairs that lead down to the pool area and the Surf Room, as well as the gate out to the beach. The biggest drawbacks with this room were the a/c didn't work well and the lightening in the bathrooms was horrible....way to dark. If you want to put on make-up, bring a mirror and stay close to a window or the sliding door.
Some of the pluses of the property were the fully cooked breakfast, poolside food and drink service and the bar. A major drawback to the Surf Room that breakfast was served from was the fact the wrens were able to come in and out of the building. We found that rather unhealthy. We were told that they were working on this problem. Another issue, there were no mats by the doors. The fog had rolled in and made walking into the room dangerous. We watched guests slip as they entered the room.
They have a manager’s happy hour also. Alcohol flowed freely if you are a guest, the problem, stale chips with salsa, some sort of an Asian type crackers and popcorn. It would be wiser if they had served something a bit more substantial with all the alcohol, perhaps veggies, meatballs, cheese and crackers.
When we checked out, I spoke with the manager on duty, Matthew. He was appreciative of our concerns and did make up for our “not so pleasant” check in process. We also meet the GM, Lisa. She was concerned as to what our issues were and I reassured her that Matthew had taken very good care of us and that he would see to it that our concerns were addressed. Will I ever go back? I’m not sure. I would hope that if I do, our check in process would be much better and that the concerns we have from this visit would have been addressed and taken care of. If asked if I would recommend this to friends, I would have to say absolutely not. I do hope that Matthew and Lisa will address our issues and seek to remedy them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a patio of some sort and not overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I do appreciate your feedback and I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet you during your visit. I can assure you that your concerns will be addressed as we take our guest comments very seriously. All of this information is being shared with our management team. We do hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the first time with my husband for our 20th anniversary and was impressed from the moment I entered the impressive lobby area. The front desk were so helpful (I want to make a special mention to the wonderful British lady who made us feel so welcome and even wished us a happy anniversary before we even told her!), the room was great, spacious and newly remodeled, and the grounds were beautiful. Being just steps from the beach we were able to take a romantic sunset stroll which was just awesome.

Breakfast was great, good selection and tasted good. The only thing I would say is that it was a real shame we didn't have wifi in our rooms. Other than that - we cant wait to return! Good job Embassy Suites!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am so pleased that you decided to spend your 20th anniversary with us and that you found our property to be to your liking and our staff to be so accommodating – we are so proud of our team! We are working on an overhaul of our Internet service and we do hope you will return again!

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have stayed at this property several times. I was lucky enough to have been beachfront the first two visits, but the heat didn't work, one time the room smelled like fish and Oxnard never seems to be warm. I was so uncomfortable that I ran the blow dryer attempting to get warm. HOWEVER - My last visit I remembered to mention the heat and they put me in a renovated room. It wasn't beachfront so I didn't have the fantastic views, but I was so thrilled. The room was so open! I actually sat on the sofa and relaxed, which I almost never do while on business. The remodel was worth it. The hotel had dance lessons in the bar when we were there and that was interesting to watch. The breakfast area has a wonderful selection to start your day off right. The grounds are very resort-like, with pools and hot tubs around. For my business, it is a little farther out, but I now consider it worth it after the renovations. Otherwise, I was going to switch hotels. So I was comfortable, warm, nice room and the grounds pretty. Even though I rarely get to use the amenities, I like them in case I do get the opportunity. Good Job Embassy Suites!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about renovated rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
We are so pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest suites during your last visit and found our rooms to be quite comfortable. We hope you will visit us again and enjoy the many amenities that we offer to our guests.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!