“Not a Great Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Oxnard
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not a Great Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

A hotel that needs alot of work - while it looks they are trying the hotel is very dated and is definately a retro-fit of another hotel made into a Courtyard. Stayed two nights never was able to get my requested extra pillows and left the hotel after two nights with twenty bites all over me from somethings in the room. While i will be back in the area within a few weeks i can promise you that i will not be staying here again and i would suggest taking care before you stay here - price is not the only thing that should matter in a hotel decision

Room Tip: Not staying here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Grace S, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard Ventura, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I wish to thank you for your review of our hotel. Your comments will assist us in making our guests more comfortable and satisfied in the future.
I also sincerely apologize for your inconveniences. I can understand how our deficiencies dampened your experience, and please be assured that I have forwarded your comments on to all the department managers in our hotel so that we may use your comments to review, and train our employees.
As our hotel is not full service, there are ammenities you may be use to that were not available here at a Courtyard. We do try to make up for that fact by giving you the best service. The cleanliness of our hotel lobby, Bistro, and guest rooms is also of the utmost importance, and as some of this was not up to our standard of excellence, I apologize and hope you come back and give us another visit because I am confident we can exceed your expectations. We are planning a wonderful renovation of our guest rooms this year to go with our modern new lobby and Bistro
Thank you again so much for your review and helping us improve every day
Sincerely
Maureen
Team Courtyard

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Orange County
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

First let me say the helpful, attentive, friendly staff make up for the outdated condition of the hotel. The new lobby was great and resembles what I have seen of the newer/remodeled Courtyards.
The check in/out was quick and efficient. The hotel could stand a “True” remodel, it looked like some surface upgrades have been made but the whole place is in need of work. The elevator was having issues, my sliding door would not open and appeared to be broken or did not open, the fan/air was noisy and the carpet was worn. I could hear people clearly upstairs stomping on floor and talking in room next door. The parking was free but tight as it is shared with other businesses. The hotel was in a good location right off 101 fwy and close to grocery, food, banks, and satellite colleges of Devry/APU. Clean room, good bed had a microwave and fridge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Not up to Marriott standards! I always look forward to a great night's sleep at a Marriott. Not so here! Lovely facility and well maintained but the mattress was a leftover from the past. Also, the smell of cleaning liquid was overpowering until i ran the fan. on the positive side, the location and price were good with easy access to tourist spots and a nearby outlet mall.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is not the standard of the larger Marriott's but the layouts and services are consistent with other Marriotts. They are the MacDonald's of the hotel business. Providing consistency you can rely on right through all levels.
This one was perfect for a one night stop with good beds and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have family in Ventura and have stayed multiple times at the Courtyard near the beach, but decided to stay here to avoid the big parking fee you pay at the beach location. We stayed here in late November 2012 and again a month later the weekend before Christmas. We are Marriott Rewards members so we have stayed in a lot of Courtyards, and this one is definitely comparable. The person at the front desk during our first stay was extremely helpful and friendly. She gave us some complimentary water bottles to take back to our room when we tried to purchase some from the market. All of our special requests made at the time of our on line reservation were acknowledged and honored. The hotel was extremely quiet even though it seemed fairly full. We only heard people leaving their rooms in the late morning once we were already up and moving about. The coffee in the room was awful but I don't really expect much from in-room coffee at any hotel and they do serve Starbucks in their cafe. The cafe had some wonderful light options for breakfast. I had an egg white, spinach, havarti cheese breakfast sandwich with a side of fruit that was very good along with a Starbucks pumpkin latte. It's not complimentary but it was very convenient and I don't mind paying if the food is good. There is a mall very close by as well with food options. Although this hotel is in Oxnard, it seems to be off the very first exit from the freeway after you leave Ventura (or close to it) so it's definitely an affordable and convenient location if you are a tourist in Ventura and don't want to pay the beach hotel prices and parking fees. The reason I give this an average rating is because, while the bed in the first room in which we stayed in November was pretty comfortable (seemed hard when we sat on it so we were pleasantly surprised), the bed during our more recent stay was not nearly as comfortable. It seemed to sag a little bit in the center and I woke up with hip/back pain. I'm not sure if they are in the process of updating rooms/replacing beds, which might explain the inconsistency? I think we were on the 6th floor during the first stay. We were on the 4th floor most recently. I would stay here again for sure, but I'll inquire about the beds for next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here for a night as a base from which to drive up to Santa Barbara. Check-in was efficient and friendly. Front-desk staff were superb, both during check-in and check-out. Renovated lobby area was modern and the breakfast at $9-10 was reasonably priced and of good quality. The rooms are what you expect of a Courtyard Marriott. They were clean and upgraded. Abundant parking. Well-located. Fitness room (which I used) was functional and sufficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I needed to stay near Ventura/Oxnard for 1 night for a family function. The hotel was really easy to find, I could see it from the 101 as I was approaching from the south. Check in was smooth and they gave me a room on the 6th floor facing the pool. I had a balcony but nothing to sit on but I didn't ask if they had chairs. Check out was also smooth, they slipped the bill under my door and I handed my key to someone on the way out. Free wifi was a definite bonus. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was fine with Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner. There was a small refrigerator, a microwave and a coffee maker plus I think they had free coffee in the lobby and complimentary copies of USA Today. There is a pool, I didn't use it but it looked nice and had lounge chairs to sit in around it.

The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 stars is that I paid a bit more than I wanted to, $109 plus tax for 1 evening. But I have no complaints at all about the hotel, staff or location. The level of amenities was good, there was nothing else I would have needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard Ventura? Share your experiences!