“It's.... Special.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Cafe & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orick
Palm Cafe & Motel
You added Palm Cafe & Motel to your Saves list
21130 Hwy 101, Orick, CA   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orick
Draper, Utah
“It's.... Special.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I don't know if it's the magic of the area, or the Awesome food we had at the Palm Cafe, but I LOVE Orick. We were told by an ex forest ranger to make sure to stop in Orick for the Lady Bird Johnson Grove, and Fern Canyon. So, we stopped there for a night on our way to bigger, and better things, so we thought. We ended up staying in Orick, in the Palm Motel for 3 days, because it's so enchanting there. Let's face it, the room was a million years old and probably wasn't great a thousand years ago, but it was clean, I slept like a rock, it was Large, and in the end I had everything I needed. It's beyond quaint, and if you were to adjust your radio while driving you'd miss the whole town, but I thought it was a little gem, unfortunately hidden beneath a run-down exterior.
At the Palm Cafe I had a burger and fries and the most amazing shake I've ever had (Neapolitan shake with peanut butter), and it was all fantastic. The little salad-bar wasn't too bad, and their breakfast was TDF. It has Character. We're headed back in June, and I couldn't be more excited.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Here is the deal. It is July 4th weekend and we didn't reserve a room .... we just plain forgot. We drove for 125 miles looking for room and ended up sleeping in the car in Trinidad. It was crazy and when we woke up in the morning there were five other cars that probably had the same "no vacancy" issues we had. Anyways after a night from hell in the car, we were starving and the first place was the Palm Cafe.....pretty much a throwback....greasy spoon place run by two older women. The decorations was so funny, acrostic and all kinds of crafty stuff but for some reason we loved it. The older ladies were kind and we really did look like crap after we all five slept in the car the night before...it was like getting to Grandma's house and she has the table all set up because she knows your gonna be hungry. Anyways the food was fine, there was plenty of it and it made us feel like a million bucks after the night we had had. So worth stopping in if only to see the jukebox, funny decorations and pictures etc. In the bathroom they had this sign which kind of summed up how my whole family felt after a night in the car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

With this Motel being the only place still open in Oirck, there's not much choice. It looks warn-out and run down. And it is. I am no snob by any means, but this place was poor. The old guy on reception was uninterested in anything but the credit card. You would get headache using the pool, as it has no water in it. The room was old & dingy. The Cafe on the other hand was reasonable & decent food. Overall a 4/10.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Medford, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had to have a place for the night as all of the campgrounds were full. $90 gets you a warn out room with almost hot water and lots of soap but no shampoo. At least the bedding seemed to be clean. I do not recommend this place, make reservations and camp.

Room Tip: Go Camping
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Orick, Ca, has the potential to be a nice place, as the gateway to the Redwoods. But, sadly, it is a dying, run-down town. There is no place I would consider staying overnight. I was disappointed in the Palm Cafe for food, after seeing some glowing reviews on this site. Even after inquiring about the pie, the waitress didn't offer us any, & brought the check with the dinners. So no pie for us. Arcata is the only nice town from Crescent City to Fortuna, Ca. So try to plan your mealtime/overnight for that location!

• Stayed July 2013
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Palm Cafe was recommended to us as a place to stop for a post hike snack if we liked pie. I love pie, but my husband doesn't. But, since he loves me, we stopped anyway. He actually ordered pie too, which shocked me. He devoured his blackberry a la mode, as I did my coconut cream. It was amazing. The slices were huge too, mine especially. We were so full, from just pie & water. I'm so glad we stopped. It was a cute little place with nice people.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stopped for lunch while touring N. Calif coast and experienced the best fruit and cream pies we"ve ever eaten...we live in Florida and envy the locals in Orick. We were there with our children and grandchildren and were very pleased with the service as well as the amazing pie!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Palm Cafe & Motel? Share your experiences!