“vintage motel in need of repair” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Cafe & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orick
Palm Cafe & Motel
You added Palm Cafe & Motel to your Saves list
21130 Hwy 101, Orick, CA   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orick
Aloha
“vintage motel in need of repair”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a very old spartan motel which has not been maintained.
Examples: saggy bed, thread worn sheets and blankets, dirty torn drapes that do not close except by using a closepin. Rusty sink with a continuous drip. Shower door that was broken. Wall coving that was falling off. Missing light bulbs. Noisy heater fan... we turned heater off so we could sleep. Starlings nesting in covered parking above cars resulting in white deposits on the car. Pool was empty and has not been used in a long time.
Summary: Overpriced low value motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I found this little place between hiking some trails in the Redwoods. We were pleasantly surprised. It's basically a cute little diner with typical diner food. The sign above the kitchen says it all, "Country Cooking at its Best." We both had the bacon cheeseburger, which really hit the spot since we were pretty hungry after our last hike. The service was very friendly and the food was reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
susanmix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I will never forget this place. It is in an amazing area. There are redwoods everywhere, and there is an elk refuge. Nearby is also an ocean beach with Fern Canyon. Fern Canyon is where Jurassic Park, Part 2 was filmed. It is majestic and gorgeous beyond words. I have actually seen bears and elk in that area before. In the early fall there are banana slugs, too. These are big, yellow slugs. At times in the past the nearby campground had banana slug races for the kids. This was always fun. We often stay at the Palm Motel and eat at the Cafe there. About 10 years ago we stayed there, and found a very out-dated postcard with a picture of the very out-dated Palm Motel and Cafe on it. It said it was the "World-Famous Palm Motel and Cafe," yet is was a small, obscure, out-dated motel. We sent this postcard to our daughter, who was in the army at the time. She laughed so hard, and kept the postcard to this day. It's old and run down, but it has always been quiet and adequate. We would definitely stay there again, and we would probably buy another postcard, while supplies last.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Watsonville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This delightful motel isn't expensive, isn't fancy and isn't in a big resort town. It sits on the edge of Redwood National Park in the tiny town of Orick, CA. Comfortable rooms and an attached restaurant with real "home cooking" make this a feel good place you'll remember for years.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Went for lunch at the palm....had the truckers club house with onion rings.....it was great. What impressed me was everyone is treated as a local... Got a big coffee cup [local joke]. I happened to take a business card when I left.....good thing I did. I left my pile jacket behind on the chair. I phoned them 4 hours later and 200 miles up the road....it was there....they mailed it to me....thanks Jerry r!!!!!!
I'll stop again when I am in the area...excellent example of coastal town cafe....I have been to many....

Room Tip: Just PASSING Through....no over night stay....
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I must admit that I din't think too much of this place when I first came. The rooms are clean but old. And the wifi is spotty. That being said, there are some lovely things going on here when you look a little deeper than the first impression. My last couple of visits I had the pleasure of speaking with Martha, the 85 year old owner of the motel and cafe. She has seen a lot happen in this town as she raised 30 foster children in the vicinity. Her native american foster son, Jerry told me how the school used to have over 200 kids in it during the heyday of the lumber industry. But since that industry moved away, the school now only has 15 kids there and none of the children are hanging around the town.

But regardless of the state of things, Martha still makes some incredible food. My wife and I are extreme food lovers (we went to Japan and Spain for our honeymoon because of the food) and Martha's blackberry pie (made from local blackberries) is honestly one of the best pies I've had. It's unfortunate that such a fine pie is served with soft serve ice-cream as opposed to a scoop of some homemade or Bryers vanilla, but that is something I am willing to overlook. She also cans and smokes her own local salmon. You can pick some up at the store front. Her salmon cakes are fantastic if you are lucky enough to ask her about them (they are not on the menu). The rest of the food, that is made by her cooks is decent, but nothing to write home about. Oh yeah, she also makes her own homemade elderberry wine. Her husband and a couple of her children recently passed on. When I spent some time with her she was more than grateful for the sincere gratitude.

Do yourself a favor and try some of her pie next time you are in town. You won't regret it.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

One of the last places to stay if you want to see the Redwoods in the morning, unless you're camping. It was a very run down roadside motel, in a very run down town. But clean and the owners were very hospitable and we spelt fine.
The diner attached to the motel was great, home cooked meals, great service and a real local hang out which was different to the majority of non American tourist will see. My first ever biscuits and gravy, and now that I know what it is, it will be my last!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Palm Cafe & Motel? Share your experiences!