“Love/hate relationship” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ontario Grand Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Ontario Grand Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Ontario Grand Inn & Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3333 Shelby Street, Rancho Cucamonga, (Formerly Hotel Ontario), Ontario, CA 91764 (Formerly Hotel Indigo Ontario Rancho Cucamonga)   |
Ranked #32 of 41 hotels in Ontario
San Francisco, California
“Love/hate relationship”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We LOVE this hotel! What we dislike is the little things that add up. We love the colorful rooms with hardwood floors. What we dislike is checking in to see we ONLY had 1 hand towel and 1 washcloth in the bathroom, NO other towels. We LOVE the cleanliness of the room, but what we dislike is having remote controls for the TV that are not working and some channels that have no sound. We LOVE the friendly staff, but we dislike the general ho-hum attitude of SOME of them when we addressed the issues. We LOVE the hotel for it's quirkiness and absolutely brilliant decor from the check-in area to the room, but the small little things add up to a bit of traveler frustration. It is a bit like staying with a relative that has a beautiful home, but not quite ready for guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We unfortunately arrived after the pool/spa area was closed and left before it opened, so we weren't able to use that. Our suite was fabulous! The decor was really cute (rare in a chain hotel), with neat colors and art and laminate floors with a rug. It had a desk (oddly, there was no nearby outlet for our computer) with a comfortable office chair, a kitchenette with frig, sink, and coffee maker (but no microwave, so you'd have to go down to the breakfast room to use theirs), an upholstered bench, sofa, ottomans, 2 flat-screen tvs (which we never turned on and therefore missed the problems other reviewers have mentioned), an extremely comfortable bed (but the pillows were very small and one bolster accent pillow was ripped), and a shower roomy enough for two with excellent water pressure, a wooden bench, and a "rain" type shower head. Oddly, they only provided soap and shampoo, no lotion or conditioner. They only gave us two bath towels, which would have been an issue had we been able to use the pool/spa. We had some issues figuring out how to turn the lights on and off, as the wall switches didn't control them and one wasn't plugged in, etc. We saw laundry and gym facilities. The common areas had very comfortable and attractive furniture. The breakfast was kind-of crummy, with soggy tasteless waffles, odd-tasting diet yogurt, inferior orange juice, milk and cereal, and commercial mini-muffins. We would have appreciated eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. but were grateful not to have to find a restaurant or grab something at the airport. The location was very convenient to the airport, but the room was quiet or perhaps the air conditioner covered noise, as we slept beautifully for what time we had there. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We had a first floor king suite, so we didn't run into problems with the elevator other reviewer...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Loyal customer of hotel for 4 years, but will NEVER stay again! First, it started a week before my stay when I was told that, although I made reservation 3 months ago, I was going to be moved to sister hotel due to construction in rooms. Manager promised to find me a room & call me back. Within 24 hour period, had to call manager 5 times because he never called back like he said he would. During that 24 hour period, my friend and I were told 2 very different stories as to why we were being moved. Finally, told I would not be moved after all. Upon arrival, I saw no construction being done. During stay, room's A/C did not work properly, TV & desk lamp didn't work & bathroom sink didn't drain properly. Told manager next morning about trouble & he proceeded to argue with me & never provided resolution. HORRIBLE customer service & hotel is not maintained!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I accompanied my husband to Southern California so he could conduct some business and I could get some warmth and sunshine with a bit of relaxation. I agree with a bunch of previous reviewers -- this place has a lot of potential, but several issues keep it from being stellar. First, the cons. They are extraordinarily stingy with towels, the air conditioning is loud, the internet is slow (especially problematic for business travelers), and the elevator is really clunky and temperamental. The television had picture but no sound on several channels (which I found very strange but they say its a hotel-wide problem to be resolved "soon") and at first I thought they didn't get NBC or CNBC, but after talking to the front desk person, I learned that you can actually access these channels if you input the numbers directly rather than just pressing the channel button up or down. The only way I learned this was by complaining. There were a few mars, nicks, and scrapes in the bathroom, and several misses throughout the hotel in terms of upkeep. The pool is small and the outdoor furniture is in dire need of reupholstering. The breakfast is what my husband I refer to as a "carb fest" -- cereal, juice, waffles, muffins. I wish hotels would get wiser about the breakfast options and add proteins and better coffee. Now for the pros, and there are many. The rooms are large and cleaned well by the staff. The front desk people are friendly and helpful. There is a refrigerator in the room, nifty modern furniture, and a great bed with nice linens. There is lots of close parking available. It's very close to the Ontario airport. The shower is fabulous with excellent water pressure and a large rain-style shower. There is even a nice wooden bench in the spacious shower. The room has laminated hardwood with stylish area rugs. There is a nice roomy closet, and the whole hotel has been quiet during our 4 night stay. It's about 2 miles to the Ontario Mills Outlet Mall (which is quite large) and an easy 40 minute walk. If this hotel paid attention to the small quirky issues and kept doing what it does well, it would be really special. I hope hotel management reads the reviews, learns, adapts, and spiffs up.

Room Tip: They told us that the internet service was best on the 2nd floor. All the rooms I saw were spacious...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Juneau, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The price was very decent for the very spacious room and very comfortable bed! The hotel had a very modern feel to it with its decorations, but it was pleasant. The rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. The lights over the bathroom were sink were motion sensor and there were some problems with them turning off when you didn't want them to. But it wasn't enough of a pain to diminish the quality of the hotel. The breakfast was extremely average. You COULD get a waffle but had to have the breakfast attendant make it for you and then were expected to tip him. Overall though, it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This place has a lot of potential. A lot.

The decor is slightly updated... Slightly.

I was in a room with a king bed. It was nice, though when I laid on the bed, it sank towards the middle.

The downstairs bar seemed promising... And then the only bartender told me she has mixed drinks for $4 and the only beer she has is Budweiser in a bottle ($4).

The happy hour menu prices didn't match the "happy hour specials" posted in the front reception area. That really irritated me.

The older female bartender didn't tell me she didn't take credit cards until after I had finished my beer, French fries, and mozzarella sticks. Uhmm. Her only solution was "you need to charge it to the room." But I don't want to charge it to the room. I want to use this Visa card. "Fill out this paper (that looks like it will be charged to your room) and we'll charge you now. Just make sure you put your room number down." Idk what the point of that was, but whatever.

The bar area is not anything near awesome. She only has 1 microwave and 1 oven. At least my French fries and mozzarella sticks weren't fried. That's a plus.

The television works well... When it's off. There are maybe 15 channels that come in, but only half will come through with sound.

There was a large amount of dust atop the bathroom door and the entrance room door. That's awkward.

The sheets were clean though! And the towels were clean! Thank God!

Anyway, this place really does have a lot of potential... But I probably wouldn't stay here again until they've majorly updated the place. Majorly!

Room Tip: The walls are paper thin.... trust me when I say you can literally hear the couple in the next room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Avondale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I won a stay at this hotel on Priceline, and saw several reviews that were not very good, but I usually take negative reviews with a grain of salt, because people like to complain. The hotel is decorated beautifully and the rooms are really neat with wood flooring, murals and a modern style decor. My room and the hallway on the 3rd floor just seemed like it needed a handyman to walk around and fix all the odds and ends that are in need of repair. Then it would be great, little things that really do not matter, but when added up make it seem like the management doesn't care to fix the issues or are oblivious to the issues. It is such a shame that such a nice place should be in the state that it is in. The alarm clock was plugged into a switch that turns off when you turn off the light so you have to reset it if you want to use it, toilet paper holder was missing, curtains torn, bed worn and lumpy, air conditioner front was broken, furniture seriously needed cleaned, and no soap or shampoo in the room,and no maid service the following day. I didn't complain because by the time I returned from my day, it was bedtime anyway, but some customers would have been in the lobby causing a scene at the front desk over all of these little things. The employees, however, were all very polite and brought washcloths and gave us shampoo when we requested it with no problems. I just feel bad for the employees who probably get yelled at a lot over all these little fixable problems. I hope that the hotel is just under renovation and they have not yet reached the 3rd floor, because it is in a nice area and just needs a handyman to step in and spruce the place up a bit. I hope management will go through each room and look at it as if it their first time there and they could probably make it so much better! I would be willing to stay again in the future because I do like the area, it is reasonably priced,and the decor is really nice, and maybe I just got an odd room in need of repair, but I have stayed in nicer places in the same area for similar prices through priceline.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ontario Grand Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!