“The Best Beef Stew In the World” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Pub
Los Gatos, California
“The Best Beef Stew In the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We've eaten here multiple times. The food is just that good. Everything that I've tried was great, but, even in this wonderful company, the Guinness Beef Stew stands out. It's just extraordinarily tasty, rich and hearty. It's the perfect end to a day of skiing, or hiking, in the Tahoe area. The service was friendly, reasonably fast, and helpful. I'll definitely be back the next time that I visit Squaw.

Maybe our service experience was different from some of the other reviews, because we were there during the week in the off season, but I have absolutely no complaints about either speed, or friendliness. For me, the food is just so good that any other concerns would just be whining.

I really like the Auld Dubliner Irish Pub in Squaw Valley!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
Montana
“Nothing Special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our family ate at the pub last year, and it wasn't anything special. All 4 of us ordered different items, yet we all thought our food was just average. Would not go again.

Visited November 2012
Mountain View, California
“Timing is everything”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We came for lunch - none of the service issues others have highlighted. Appetizer of spinach/artichoke dip w/pita chips was very tasty. Burger, Shepards Pie, and Irish Dip entrees were all quite good, and the Ninkasi Total Domination IPA was quite good.

OTOH, during the Ironman race the night before, we heard some horror stories about slow service. I'm inclined to let it go, because they were crazy busy, but your mileage may vary.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SAN RAMON
“Great fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Fish and chips were great. Fries have some type of curry on them that was amazing. Service left something to be desired. I felt like I was an inconvenience to the wait staff when ordering and then asking for check.

Visited August 2013
Dayton, Nevada
“If only slow service was the only thing wrong...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Got there during the Art Fair at Squaw today. We thought we'd give this place a try. Menu looked good. Hubby ordered fish & chips. I ordered corned beef on rye. We ordered a beer and cocktail. That took a loooooong time to get to our table (they weren't a full house -- not even 1/2 full). The table next to us got their food about 5-10 minutes before we did, even though we ordered before them. When our food arrived -- I was delivered a chicken & avocado sandwich. Waitstaff didn't return to see if all ok. Hubby had to go flag them down. UGH. Again, took a looooong time to get the sandwich properly prepared and returned. Hubby ordered another beer -- which was a no-show. The waitress tried to deliver it to another table.

Flavor: hubby enjoyed his fish & chips. My sandwich was "ok" -- had a "unique" salsa on it which frankly didn't work.

In all fairness to them -- they removed the charge for my sandwich because of their error.

Will we go back again? Probably not.

• Visited July 2013