“Great amenities and a great staff at a DREAM location” 5 of 5 stars

10% Off Entire Stay!
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County
“Great amenities and a great staff at a DREAM location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

On our 9th annual ski trip to lake tahoe we found the PERFECT place to stay. Red Wolf hotel is literally at the base of Squaw Valley ski resort, which is exactly what hard core skiiers/snowboarders are looking for!
Upon check in, we were greated by a pleasent young lady at the front desk who was very helpful and informed us of all the amenities of the hotel. They had various flavors of hot tea and coco available for arriving guests as well.
They were able to give us two joining rooms both with an amazing view of the slopes, and balconies to take in the view. Each room came with comfortable beds, a sofa sleeper, kitchen, and VCR/DVD players and plenty of room. Bedrooms and bathrooms were plenty large.
After settling in, we hit the hot tub (which also has a view of the slopes), which was a perfect way to start our vacation. The property also has a community room/lounge with couches, TVs, a foosball table, and sauna. The village was just a few minute walk across the parking lot, with great spots for dinner and drinks. Needless to say we had an incredible trip.

One last note that I appreciated was upon checkout, the manager was in the back room, and took the time to come out to the front desk and thank us for staying at their property, and hoped that we would come again. We definitely will!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sausalito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Literally a 5 minute walk into Olympic Village and to Plumpjack. I love love loved the location - ski-in and ski-out, walk over to the ticket booths to buy my slope pass for the day, then finish up my day, take off my board and walk over to the hotel. GREAT location.

Super cute rooms, definitely kitchy and woodsy, but I expect that of my Tahoe stays. Lots of log-cabin furniture, wolves, moose, very cute. Really really clean rooms too (no bed bugs!), and cute little kitchenette if you want to cook.

Only downside - our room was on the 3rd floor slope side and it difficult to sleep in the mornings. We stayed for a weekend and the first day, we were woken by the sound of wind ghosting through the cracks/windows/panes. Loud enough to wake us from sleep. Then the next day, we were woken by the groomers (beep-beep-beep) and sounds of explosions (for anti avalanche after new snow). Sleep quality was just OK although bed was comfortable.

However, I would compromise sleep quality for the great convenience of the prime location. I would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Place is situated right on squaw valley ski slopes which is awesome. However, in the winter time, the cattrack machines are grooming all night long and you here them all night too. Also, the walls are so thin you can here somebody practically tippy toe above you with creaking sounds and you can hear a normal conversation through the walls as if it was in your room practically. Be careful to check in before 7pm otherwise you will have to call up the receptionist through the intercom. Also, our room keys that were left for us, DID NOT WORK! Essentially it took about 45minutes to straighten things out and sit down in our room.

We travel often and are not to concerned about dated tv's, kitchen appliances, but want to ensure it's a smooth process since we have little ones. This is just an fyi to keep your eye out for.

Cheers

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Vallejo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I've stayed once before and loved it so much it made sense to book again when our group of friends wanted to do a Tahoe run before the season ends! My friends LOVED the rustic decor and the privacy the rooms offered for when we were in for the night. The staff, again, did not disappoint with a superb level of service and suggestions on great local roads for us to explore. After a long day, we walked over to the village and had great pizza and beer without having to worry about traveling anywhere. Just all around a great hotel, experience and location! Will definitely continue to be our overnight choice anytime we head that way!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Stayed there recently with a couple friends, the room has really good views of the near by mountains and in a good central location!!.. rooms are really nice and clean and the beds are really comfortable. I reall recommend this place to anyone!!! 3 hot tubs, and a number of BBQ's too :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My sister and I enjoyed staying at Red Wolf Lodge and can't wait to return! One of our favorite hotels; the rooms are always clean, well stocked, soft pillows and comfortable bed, great view of the slopes, and near some great restaurants and stores. The cheerful staff is always helpful and courteous. The only negative is that we had hoped to stay longer, but they were already booked up. Next time we will make our reservations earlier so we can stay longer. We highly recommend Red Wolf Lodge.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Richmond, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I'm so sorry this review is late and hopefully no one else got bit while there. We normally love this place, but the last time we went we were bit by bedbugs! I was really uncomfortable one night (first night of feasting I guess lol). The next morning, was surprised to see a drop of blood and a little reddish bug. I didn't think anything of it, this was before the media frenzy with the bedbug epidemic. I was going to show it to housekeeping but decided not too. I didn't think it was a big deal, thought the blood was just from nicking myself in the leg shaving.
A few days later the bites showed up, I thought it was fleas and even went to the doctor. On a hunch I decided to look up bedbugs and sure enough, it was the same bug I saw on the bed. I did inform the hotel with our room number and although I should have followed up with them, I am hoping they took care of it.
We go here every year with friends for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm so bummed now that I am seriously considering not going next year. I know that this problem can happen anywhere....so my advice is to remember to always always check your bed!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
4.0 of 5 stars 155 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe
Marriott Grand Residence Club Ta...
#8 of 70 in South Lake Tahoe
4.5 of 5 stars 647 reviews

Been to Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!