“Great location, beautiful property, lousy service” 2 of 5 stars

Summer Rates from $199!
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Loomis, CA
“Great location, beautiful property, lousy service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My family (2 adults and 2 kids) stayed at the hotel with another family over the Labor Day weekend. While the location is great, and the property is very beautiful, the overall service from multiple departments was miserable.

Before I get into the service problems, let me say that I would be willing to give the hotel a 2nd chance. My family greatly enjoyed the larger size room (we stayed in a Deluxe Fireplace Valley View room), and also had a great time at the pool with its multiple jacuzzis and water slide. I live in the Sacramento area (about 1.5 hours away), and so we frequently travel to the Tahoe area to enjoy the blue sky and fresh air.

The room had a great view of the mountains. It was approx. 600 sq. feet and was comprised of two rooms - a living room with comfortable chairs and sofa, and a bedroom with a King bed. The larger than average bathroom featured a dual shower head which was nice. The room also had a small kichen. My only complaint regarding the room was that there was not enough lighting - and so the rooms were dark especially the bedroom. My recommendation is that the hotel add recessed lighting in the ceiling.

Basically, most everything was great at the hotel and met our expectations - except for one very important element.....the lack of service from the hotel staff and management.

First service problem - upon checking in, the front desk person gave my friend incorrect information about the details of his special "golf and dining" package - essentially reducing the benefits of the package. After asking to speak with the manager-on-duty, she reluctantly agreed to correct the problem so that the package details agreed with how the package was marketed on the hotel's internet site.

Second problem - The next morning (Sunday morning) at the restaurant, we were told the wait would be 20 minutes; however, it was over 90 minutes. Apparently, the hotel had sold numerous "Labor Day" packages that included free breakfast buffet; however, the restaurant did not have enough space to handle the guests, nor enough restuarant staff to handle the volume of people and turnover the tables. The anger of multiple guests could easily be heard throughout the hotel lobby as families requested to get an honest answer to their questions about wait times. It was very clear that the hostess was very confused and uncertain what to do.

Third problem - On the second morning of our stay, we again ate breakfast at the restaurant. To handle the number of guests, the hotel had adjusted by increasing their seating capacity; however, they did not appear to add any restaurant staff - so again, slow or missing service was experienced such as not getting dirty dishes cleared from the table, not getting beverages filled, having to track down the waiter for the check, etc.

I believe that the hotel was almost at capacity both nights, and that the service problem were related to understaffing; however, being full doesn't explain all of the service problems.

Fifth problem - At the spa, I treated a friend to his first massage. I made special arrangements with the spa to have my friend's treatment charged to my account as this was a "gift" to my friend. I was very precise in my instructions and even signed the spa bill which listed my room number. However, upon checking out from the hotel, I discovered that the hotel had charged the spa treatment to my friend's bill.

Sixth problem - Finally, when we went to check-out, I discovered that my bill was incorrect and that I had been overcharged by the hotel. The "billing" problem was not unique to me as the other family that was with us was overcharged by close to $1000. This overcharging was because the hotel failed to adjust the bill for items included in the special package price (e.g., valet parking, dining credit, golf credit, etc.). After discussion with the front desk, both my bill and the bill of the other family was properly adjusted. My advice would be to very carefully check your bill before leaving this hotel.

During the numerous service problems, the senior management staff of the hotel seemed to be absent. Both the dining problems and the overcharging that I experienced were significant issues, yet nobody from the senior management staff stepped forward to offer an apology - leaving us feeling unimportant to the hotel as well as feeling bad for the front line staff that were left to handle numerous angry guests.

The hotel advertises that it has a 4-star rating; however, in comparing to other 4-star resorts where I have stayed, I would only give the resort 3-stars - comprised entirely of its ambiance and the view. Perhaps the resort makes most of their money during the ski season, and so in the off-season of the summer, service is allowed to be missing.

• Liked — Ambience and setting
  • Disliked — Lack of service, including billing errors
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

We had a 1 BR suite with a valley view which was beautiful, not huge, but large enough for 4. The service at the resort was great. Every request was responded to quickly, correctly and with a nice manner. They have a great golf deal for families with kids after 6:00pm which even includes a golf cart. It's a little strange to have to leave the 'lobby' building to get to the 'rooms' building, and after a few days it got old. The total walk from the parking lot to the guest room was about 15 minutes which also got old if we did it more than once a day. But that's picky stuff. The pub had great food also with great service. Be wary of the perceived value-add of the village. I went to the Olympic Village one night mid-week and it was a ghost town. Hardly anyone was there and half the stores were closed down.

Stayed August 2008
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

A perfectly nice place to stay--maybe just not my cup of tea. I stayed at the resort for a wedding which was taking place nearby, so I didn't really have a choice of hotels. The rooms were clean, but definitely dark. Even with all the lights on the room it was still very dark. To open the curtains during daylight also caused the room temp to jump up. Turning up the air conditioning didn't help. It was so dark it was really hard to see into my suitcase etc...

There was a small coffee service and small fridge. Water for sale was available in the room and soda in the hall. They had a nice hair dryer and a good shaving mirror in the room. Ironing board and iron are in the room. And nice comfy robes for use.

I visited one of the suite style rooms. It was very nice though felt rather small with all the furniture in it.

I did notice that housekeeping hung back up my wet towel and folded it so it looked like new. Which was disturbing when I took it off the rack and it was already wet! I would prefer towels on the floor to be removed rather than recycled.

There was no full length mirror in the room which was a pain for a wedding weekend, but fine for casual occasions. The bed was comfortable. Wireless internet worked fine and no extra cost. The TV had limited channel options. I was at the resort without a rental car so took most meals on site. I do not recommend this. The "Deli" offered some cheap breakfast options but overall the choices to buy on site were rather expensive. I could it add up if you were there for any length of time without a car.

The pool was included in the resort fee (which is on top of the room rate) but with the many families visiting the resort it was a little rowdy from all the kids. If you are a couple traveling and look for peace and quiet this resort may not be the best option. It was definitely a kid friendly venue. I'm just not a kid-friendly traveler.

The spa was nice but pricey for even just a basic pedicure ($80).

I was really annoyed that the front desk delivered a package meant for me to another room and then couldn't figure out where it had been left. For a couple of hours (right before I was scheduled to give this gift) no one could find it! The staff eventually found it but this was a pain. Also worrisome since the gift needed temperature control and I had no idea if it had been left out in the hot sun. Even just trying to get information about my package involved calling several different departments. Wish they made more of a customer service effort. I have stayed at some really nice properties where the staff went over and above. This place, the staff was pleasant but maybe just not overally concerned with anything. I also lost a pair of sunglasses (totally my fault) but they didn't seem to have ONE lost and found. I had to check with each place (the spa, the bar, the front desk) and leave a message in each place. And still the very expensive sunglasses never turned up.

Despite these negatives, it was not an unpleasant stay in the end. But I guess I would have done better with it with more measured expectations.

• Liked — It was just fine....but not more than fine.
  • Disliked — Customer service, prices, kids
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

The resort is beautiful and the views are spectacular. Location is wonderful and overall we enjoyed our vacation in the area tremendously with unlimited activities for everyone. Not sure we would ever choose this resort again however. We stayed 7 nights and requested on check-in to be moved to a fireplace suite (or at least a larger room) - however the front desk staff seemed uninterested in trying to accomodate us and we were never moved -- or even offered an alternative. The room was nice - however there was only one chair (desk chair) to sit in, cleanliness was average and pillow cases/sheets were not changed daily. With the exception of the first day - the beds were made without even tucking in the sheets. Maintenance was very responsive with light bulbs needed - however in general the room was very darkly lit. The resort food & spa are both overpriced - but fortunately the surrounding areas have many great choices for restaurants and the village is minutes away.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

The resort property and staff were outstanding. We stayed for 6 days in August 2008. Everyone was outgoing and helpful. You can stay in rooms run by the hotel or rooms/suites ("condos") owned by private individuals. We opted for the latter and stayed in unit 427 (1 BR, 1BA suite) and it was a disaster. The refrigerator froze our food - the only setting was off or freeze. The owner said it "wasn't a big deal" and that we should just turn it on and off every 2 hours. She refused to make an adjustment in the cost of the room ($225/night), saying that all the other amenities at the resort "make up for the refrigerator not working." That logic didn't work for us, given we were trying to save money by making breakfasts and lunches for 4 people.

We signed a contract with the owner agreeing on the fee for 5 nights, which included a $100 cleaning fee, and there was no language about any additional fees. When we checked out, the resort charged us $88 for use of the resort's amenities. The owner did not disclose that this would be charged and refused to cover it.

In summary, resort was great but don't rent Unit 427!

• Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed here Aug 3 - Aug 10th, 2008. The resort is quiet and beautiful, staff are very helpful and friendly, the rooms are extremely clean and nice size. I would highy recommend this place and will stay here again.
The resort sits about 5 miles from the Lake Tahoe and about 0.5 miles from Squaw Valley. It sits on the side of a mountain and is very quiet and peaceful with beautiful views.
Only 2 minor draw backs 2) Because the resort sits on the side of a mountain the walk to the pool complex is about 80 steps down and then 80 steps back up - but the pools are beautiful and worth it., 2) the sheets on the bed could be better.
Things not to be missed 1) eat at Jakes in Tahoe City, 2) eat at Grams in Squaw Valley, 3) take the Tram to the top of the mountain in Squaw Valley, 4) drive to Pyramid Lake.
Things to avoid - Reno.

• Liked — quiet mountain view
  • Disliked — bed sheets could be better
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rendondo Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

What a great time of year to visit Lake Tahoe. Great weather without crowds. Fireplace suites were nice. (What a shocker to see Bay area people doing most of the complaining about the hotel ) The kids had so much fun at the pools. Would go back again.

BB
Redondo Beach, Ca.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — resort fee
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, Public Relations Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
Thank you for your kind review of Resort at Squaw Creek. The pool complex with waterslide is a great place for the kids during the summer months. We appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Marc Sapoznik

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!