“Great hotel, great view and lots to do. ” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Great hotel, great view and lots to do. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is a big hotel with lots of amenities and handful of shops. The rooms were a good size, fitness center was pretty spacious. They have a few different restaurants and restaurant/bars onsite with good food. The hotel is located right in a valley with golf right there and the small ski resort (previous site for a winter games is open, but somewhat sleepy on the summer) is a short hike It would be a long/too long walk in/with ski gear.

You can also rent bikes from the resort and bike down to Lake Tahoe, which is a very nice ride. Rafting/kayaking are also nearby options. There are a lot of restaurant options down in the town by the lake too. If the prices were good I'd definitely go back with my family for a future trip.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is the 5th year we've gone to RSC for Christmas. It remains a great location for skiing. Skiing is easy to get to and challenging.

The resort itself is in serious need of updating. They changed the carpet and got new bed linens, but that isn't enough. The furniture is beat up and old. The rooms (even those with mountain views) are dark and dreary. Please send in the interior designers!

We've never stayed at the RSC for the food, but we do eat breakfast there everyday. What has been in past years a decent breakfast buffet has taken a downward turn. Less variety, baked goods baked weeks ago and defrosted. The person at the omelette station didn't speak English (and I tend to be pretty relaxed about that; I'm ESOL teacher), but when I pointed to the ingredients I wanted, he still had no idea what I was talking about. The Christmas buffet was inedible. I ate a roll and a piece of chocolate. I spoke to someone at the front desk about it and he assured me someone would contact me about it, but no one did.

RSC has to be updated to stay competitive. If not, the Ritz Carlton at North Star is looking better and better.

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking at the valley. The views are incredible.
Green Features: They use to recycle plastic bottles in the rooms. All those containers are gone sadly.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear dante709,

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced at our breakfast buffet. Your comments regarding the buffet staff are appreciated and very helpful for our team. Our restaurant teams strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests. I will pass along your feedback for their review. I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, so we may have another opportunity to demonstrate the true Tahoe experience.

Kind regards,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The location (if you are skier) can't be beat, but the rooms themselves are in need are major upgrades. Feels like a Motel 6 is a Four Seasons Location. The lobby itself is beautiful, however, you have to walk through an uncovered, unheated path to get to the hotel rooms.

I think going forward, I will either try PlumpJack or stay in Truckee.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear arieller,

Our goal is to have each guest experience an enjoyable stay, and we appreciate you taking your time to write a review, as well as sharing with us areas that may need improvements. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay and extend our sincere apologies. We take every suggestion to heart and hope you return and provide us with another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My family and I have been in the guest service industry for many years, and know how important it is to make sure that people come back time after time. The spa staff could not have been more accommodating to my wife and daughter! Sandy's Pub waiters are cheery, polite and well informed about the area. A taller gentleman named Matt (I think) was one of the most professional waiters we have ever encountered at a casual restaurant. We were impressed with the food as well. After being told that the chef's name was Andrew, we want everyone to know how delightful we found the menu! We ate at every single restaurant, and wanted to note that Cascades breakfast was the only place was the only place where we were approached by a manager (Anna) who wanted to make sure that every single table was having a pleasant experience. This young lady truly cares about her customers. There were several things not available on the buffet, but Anna went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and made menu adjustments (while working closely with the kitchen crew) she even made my six-year old chocolate chip/blueberry pancakes HERSELF! What amazing and personalized service! Needless to say we were delighted with our experience overall! Upon checkout Every single attendant asked us how our stay was. We are expecting to return to this resort very soon!

South Pasadena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was our second stay at this property. We spent 5 nights just after Christmas, through New Years Eve. The lobby is beautiful and welcoming (lovely decorations for the holidays and a nice wood fire burning in the fireplace), the rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the staff is very friendly, and it's an easy place to stay with kids. My only complaint is the excessive charges for the "extras". You are already paying the resort fee ostensibly for the amenities, yet
ice skate rentals are an additional $12. In addition to the service charge for room service, they charge an ADDITIONAL "tray service" fee on top of the room service charge, onto of the included tip - and have a place for you to "tip" the room service guy. What?? Will they start charging "tray service" fees in the restaurants when your server brings your meal to you on a tray next? What is a "tray" service charge, and what does the room service charge cover??

Green Features: It would be nice if they wouldn't include a straw with every single drink - without being requested. Not an environmentally friendly practice.
Dear musicaldoula,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay, it is a great pleasure welcoming you back to Resort at Squaw Creek. It is also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the Magical Memories decorations and the special ambiance that we create for our guests to experience around the holidays.

We truly appreciate all of your comments regarding your stay, including the feedback concerning the extra fees you experienced, and will use them to further our knowledge of additional ways to achieve our goal of superior guest satisfaction.

Best regards,

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I've stayed here several times, all in spring, summer or fall. I'm a day skier so don't stay here in the winter. This is my favorite place in northern California (and yes that even includes San Francisco and Carmel). Top notch. I generally stay in the one bedroom unit with cute little kitchen and decent space. Bed oh so comfortable. Food pretty good, but I'll also go in to Tahoe City to eat at Wolfdale's (the best especially when they have the special organic grass fed filet from Meyer Natural Angus Ranch in Colorado (like butter)). Cute little shopping promenade and beautiful views. Great outdoors areas, large pool. Overall just a wonderful place to be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Croton on Hudson, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Well, we went to this resort about 10 years ago and LOVED it, so when my son suggested we spend some time with him and his wife in Tahoe over the fourth of July, we called the lodge to reserve a room. Our previous experience convinced us that it was the place to stay, especially since my son would be just up the road in his in-laws' condo. We were disappointed, of course, that we couldn't get the same rate as before ($149!), but took the room anyway and had to pay some in advance.
Check in was the first disappointment. My husband went to park the car and I was taken to our room (with a view - we paid extra for the "good view" of the mountain) and I immediately noticed that the shades were drawn and the bellhop did not bother to open them after depositing me and my luggage. The room was on the third floor, so I was a bit disappointed, and then when I opened the shades……holy c%^p! I had a lovely view of a rooftop air conditioning unit or something like that! When my husband arrived, he immediately called the front desk and they said that they might have something else. So we moved our bags to a different room, on the seventh floor and with a view. OK. All is fine now.
Until the next day…..
I had noticed that the toilet ran a bit but with some juggling of the handle, could be quieted down. I went for a very long bike ride (rental bikes from the resort were a lot to be desired, too, by the way) and when I returned to my room, I walked in to a disaster. The bathroom was completely disassembled, the toilet in the middle of the floor and I could neither enter the bathroom, take a shower, or a p#@. Not a note…nothing!
I called the front desk….Oh yeah, Mrs. Brandon, we have a problem with your toilet and it can't be fixed until tomorrow. We have to move your room! You would think that they would have left me some kind of message about this????
So, I have to pack up (they did offer to help) and move down the hall. Ended up being a better room but really! The guy who helped me move my clothes forgot half of them, so I kept having to go down the hall and retrieve them from the "broken" room. What a pain!
They did end up giving us a free lunch and one of the rental bikes was given to us as well, so they tried to make up for our problems, but they really should have given us at least a free night or an upgrade.
And more advice for the Tahoe traveller. NEVER go on the 4th of July! What a zoo. The bike ride could have been wonderful, but the path was so crowded with tykes and toddler and families of 12 trying to stay together. People walking in huge groups and not moving over. The whole scene was just not mellow at all. It took my brother three hours to get from South Lake Tahoe to our northern shore.
Go during the week - not on the holiday either!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced with your room. I can understand that having to move twice during your stay and the lack of communication on our part regarding the broken toilet was unnecessarily stressful for you and your husband. Your thoughts regarding the quality of the rental bikes are also appreciated. I will pass your feedback on to our Recreation department for their consideration leading up to summer. I hope you’ll consider another stay at Resort at Squaw Creek, perhaps during one of Tahoe’s quieter times of the year, so that we may have another opportunity to demonstrate the true Tahoe experience.

Eric Sather
General Manager| Resort at Squaw Creek

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!