“Expected more for $450/night! It maybe "hip", but not luxurious.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn

You added PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn to your Saves list
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 Squaw Valley Road, Located in North Lake Tahoe, Olympic Valley, CA 96146   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
Portola Valley, CA
“Expected more for $450/night! It maybe "hip", but not luxurious.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Granted, the location is perfect for skiing Squaw. Restaurant, food and bar are great. Staff is friendly. However, this is not a luxury hotel, and it is marketed as such. It's nicely renovated and decorated, but it it NOT luxurious. Our $450/night room came with a coat rack to hang our clothes on and a stack of baskets to store the rest in. No bath tub. Thin walls. so you can hear everyone and everything. We'd be happy with the spiffy Stan Gatti decor and PlumpJack brand at half the price, but this place is overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

We were assigned room 110/112 (connecting rooms which was nice). The hotel and rooms are very well decorated, however, those two rooms are located a) very near the cafe, b) next to women's bathroom which cafe patrons use, c) next to employees only area, d) family in room above us could be easily heard walking around and talking (It's an old building...). We were therefore not able to sleep at night b/c of the cafe patrons and people going in and out of the bathroom (door loud, as well as people), and in the morning awakened early by the employees talking outside our room. We are easy going people, so believe me, the noise was over the top. I have to say though, the management was amazing: polite, hand written apology, free bottle of wine and free room one of the nights. This si why I would go back, but definitely request a room on the upper floors.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
California/Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

It's hard to know where to begin when I have so much to say about our experiences with the PlumpJack. Let's start with the broad strokes. My review is based on a 3-day wedding experience - all at the PlumpJack. We, as well as the guests, stayed there; and, we had a small rehearsal dinner, an informal rehearsal reception, the ceremony, the reception, and impromptu post-reception gathering in the bar, and a breakfast the following day.

So, here I go...

Our Room:
Fantastic!!! Of course, I was terribly upset to have been UPGRADED to the penthouse from the junior penthouse at NO additional expense. Our room was lovely with a nice welcome gift of wine. We were very comfortable!!!

As far as our guests' rooms (and we had the majority of the hotel occupied), they were all quite pleased. No one had any issues, and we repeatedly heard compliment after compliment on their entire experience there. Our guests were unanimously pleased with the location. We still hear wonderful things about that weekend at the PlumpJack to this day - 2 years later!

It is true that there are no elevators in the buildings (it was built in the '60s) which we were made aware of before we booked the venue. We had notified all of our guest of this and the PJ did their best to accommodate the guests that this would be an issue for by locating them in rooms on the first floor. We also had rooms booked in the main village which worked out for those who could not maneuver even the few steps up to the first floor of rooms. None of this was a problem. As for our reception, we chose to forgo the upstairs room because we did have a wheelchair in our group. This was a choice we made and the PJ did everything possible to make it work out for us. There were no surprises.

Service:
Incredible! The bell-assistant (I’m now forgetting his name) met me at my car and helped me haul a truckload into my penthouse suite and over to the sales & catering office. He was pleasant, gracious, and EXTREMELY helpful!!! Eric – amazing and kind! David - funny, helpful, and accommodating. The rest of the front desk crew did a phenomenall job of handing out our gift bags and making everyone feel so welcome and wonderful and a part of our special occasion.

Beyond all that, the entire staff (EVERYONE at the PlumpJack) launched into orbit when my grandmother went into congestive heart failure the night before my wedding during a rehearsal reception in the main bar & restaurant area. First off, they had multiple staff members who were also EMTs. They rallied the ambulance to come in quietly to the back and organized all movement of hotel staff, my guests, etc. to keep me from knowing that this was going on, so I wouldn't be worried the night before my wedding. Now, what other hotel would do that? I'm also not one to miss something minor let alone something this big - so HUGE props to the PJ staff for this one!!! (Btw, my grandmother made it to the hospital and was fine.)

The staff at the wedding ceremony and reception could also be described as "The Dream Team." They anticipated every need and every move of everyone involved before any requests need be made. They even saw that I didn't have time to eat my meal, so they boxed it up and put it in the mini-bar in my room appropriately labeled "Bride's Dinner." (That made me laugh!) From set up to service to tear down they were so on the ball they were actually ahead of the ball. For a type-A, highly detail oriented person to throw out that compliment, that means something! These people did not miss a beat the entire 3-day event.

Restaurant and Bar:
My favorite 2 places! Kevin and company are THE BEST!!! Besides taking care of our and ALL our guests’ EVERY eating and drinking needs, (like I started to say earlier) Kurt saved my grandmother’s life with his paramedic skills. Now, even before the wedding we loved the restaurant and bar crew. B.P. (bar) and Rich (restaurant) took care of us quite well on our visits for tastings and the like. Kevin too!

Sales & Events Crew:
Rob, and Liz were amazing!!! They were all fantastic at answering all of my many questions and helping coordinate everything from our location needs, to our menu, etc., etc. etc. We knew immediately after meeting Rob and seeing the PlumpJack that it was the place for us. They executed all of our plans brilliantly.

Overall:
ALL of our guests (yes, every last one!) are still RAVING about PJ!!! I keep hearing of guests that are now planning to return to stay there on weekend getaways! And, very true story, my dad did in fact toast the PlumpJack instead of the us, the bride and groom. :) Who could blame him?

• Stayed October 2008
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I've been here twice. The first was in late October of 2008 and the second time in July of 2009. Depending on when you come, you can experience the solitude of you're own private village during the "off" season of Fall and Spring. But it can be a little unnerving and lonesome too. Think "Shining." During the Summer when I revisited, the whole village and hotel were bustling with activity, and I felt much more at ease. But that's just me.
The bar area is really nice and a great gathering spot for everyone. The food is fabulous, and breakfast was never missed. Of course the wine is stellar as well.
The staff is friendly and helpful, and went out of our way to make us feel welcomed on both of our trips.
The rooms I was not as impressed with. I didn't have trouble with the temperature as other reviewers mentioned. However, the smaller windows and dark lighting made it feel a little closed in. I also wasn't a fan of the flooring. The place could use a little remodel to lighten it up and still make it cozy.
I agree that the place is a bit overpriced. The suite is really nice, but wow. expensive. Even the regular rooms that I stayed in were too much.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
SBH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Maybe this is a good place in winter - they have not aircon and the rooms get incredibly hot - lighting is maybe so that you can't see the poor cleaning or the somewhat outdated brownish decor. The staff with the exception of 1 of the night porters all seem very very disturbed to help any customer - they clearly believe that in off season they should be on holiday even if physically at work.

The one good thing was the food and wine in the restaurant - very slow service but the food was exceptional. Go to this place for the food and wine but stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We stayed here last night. I seriously had a lot better experience in Motel 6 in some unknown locations than I had here. The rooms do not have A/C. We stayed in room 209. THere is a gigantic fan outside and the noise is so loud that it is like having an airplane next to you humming its engines full time. So you can NOT open your windows. Tee problem with not opening your windows in July is it is so hot at night that you really feel like taking a cold shower every five minutes. I simply could not sleep.

Very bad experience and one of the worst sleeps I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

HOTEL OVERALL: Can't beat the location, right next to the cable car that goes tot he High Camp, but what distinguished Plumpjack for us, a family with two small children who arranged a first-time trip to Tahoe and Squaw at the last minute, was the Plumpjack management team. Throughout they were professional, responsive, on the ball-- especially Eric the front desk manager.

FOOD: the free breakfast buffet included in the room rate was fine-- nothing special but good, with fresh melon and pineapple, scrambled eggs and bacon, yogurt and granola. The restaurant's salmon and bok choy entree was superb and reasonably priced. Not into the bar scene but it appeared lively, and yet the hotel did a good job accomodating several families like ours who brought young children to eat in the cafe adjoining the bar. All in all a relaxed and cozy place for dinner or breakfast. For lunch, we went to the laid-back and family-friendly Blue Onion Cafe near the cable car. The salmon crepe was excellent and the service good.

DECOR: Unusually simple, tasteful and upscale. Nice, low-key color scheme (sage green, bronze, gray) and attractively laid-out rooms. Not luxurious but also not skimpy. Apparently this hotel was originally used for the Olympic committee and other official delegates in 1960; IIUC it's now owned by the obnoxious SF Boy Mayor Gavin Newsom. That the hotel and its staff succeeded in every respect (almost) raises one's estimation of the latter. It's as unlike him as you can imagine: the real deal, not in your face, and tasteful throughout.

RESORT: Very strange experience. Not being skiers, we're indifferent to the hair-raising downhill runs that attract many to Squaw; however, the Olympic cachet and the exclusiveness of the resort, along with the skating rink and pool at the High Camp, reachable by a spectacular cable car that climbs 2000 ft over 4 miles, were hugely attractive and set Squaw apart in our estimation from other Tahoe resorts.

While the Village and our accommodations were upscale and well-run, our experience of the resort was puzzling and disappointing. The staff who run the High Camp and the cable car are unprofessional and don't communicate with each other. Their miscues and wrong signals about whether and when the skating rink would open were the stuff of low comedy. When we finally reached the High Camp-- not sure whether we'd find an open skating rink-- we encountered a shabby, dingy, low-ceilinged 1970s-era facility which required one to climb and descend all sorts of winding, in some cases narrow, stairways and go down a rabbit warren of corridors to finally reach the rink and the pool. The decor would have been outdated 15 years ago; the walls were hung with early 1990s posters for the French Open stadium, Roland Garros (go figure); and the empty and badly laid out restaurant consisted of a few randomly laid out tables littered with dirty plates and glasses.

The worst surprise was listening to three middle-aged Squaw employees-- old-timers by the looks of it-- guffawing and talking vigorously in the dingy hallway about some element of the resort that "didn't pass inspection," provoking a threat from said inspector to "shut it down." Imagine how that kind of talk makes you feel as you head back to the 1970s-era cable car that will take you and your family back down the mountain. Then again, perhaps they were merely talking about the health inspector's tour of the cafe, or maybe the swimming pool.... More unprofessionalism and general seediness from the staff: on the way down, one of the employees joked with another, apparently former employee, about the hired staff's habit of "debauchery" at the High Camp, including among other anecdotes the pool antics that led to one of their pals sustaining a back injury that had him "popping pain pills all summer". Not exactly shades of Olympic glory.

And then there were the High Camp visitors. Apparently there was some kind of local radio station event at the pool at the time we arrived at the High Camp (late Saturday afternoon), but that doesn't fully explain the loutish, obese element who packed the cable car. Aren't skiers supposed to be in shape?

All in all, a very odd experience of what we thought would be a brush with Olympic history at the most upscale resort in Tahoe. If ever there were a turnaround candidate for a leisure property investor group, Squaw's High Camp seems like one. It's a pity that such a spectacular place with its unique history has been allowed to sink this low.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn? Share your experiences!