“Delightful place and great hosts!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pooles Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olympic Valley
Pooles Guesthouse
1509 Sandy Way, Olympic Valley, CA 96146   |
Concord, New Hampshire
“Delightful place and great hosts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I spent two nights with Ann and Herman at the beginning of May 2013. They were both very welcoming and Ann couldn't have been nicer or more patient helping me find a really nice restaurant for a special birthday celebration at a time when many places were closed. Their place is a great set-up for singles or a couple: the two upstairs bedrooms are up a spiral staircase, they are both cozy and immaculate, with amazing views across and up Squaw Valley, and share a large bathroom between them (separate sinks in each room). Guests get full use of the kitchen with plenty of place to store food, as well as the central dining-living room and best of all, the large porch! Best porch in the world, set amongst the pines with the same extraordinary view as the bedrooms. My (birthday) friend and I spent two delightful nights talking late out on that porch. He was also made to feel completely welcome joining me for breakfasts before heading out for our day's adventure. Ann was also helpful suggesting places to visit around the lake. I have traveled many many places, and stayed in many kinds of lodging. If you want the comfort of home in the grand beauty of Lake Tahoe, Poole's Guesthouse is the place to stay. I hope I get the chance to return some day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed with Anne and Herman in February 2012 while on a skiing trip to Squaw Valley. They are wonderful hosts and their property is perfect for a trouble free relaxing break in the mountains.

Anne looked after our every need and was able to offer recommendations for everything from local restaraunts to gyms. She is very connected in the area.

We cooked in the fabulous kitchen most nights. It is fully equipped and there was plenty of space. The location is very convenient and means that you will avoid the long traffic queues coming up from Trukee in the mornings.

Big thanks from London. Michael

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I spent three wonderful evenings with Ann and Herman (Poole's Guesthouse) last month (AUG '12) and I couldn't have been more pleased. Though we live in Texas, we find ourselves at Lake Tahoe about thrice yearly, not having found a better place to vacation. Normally, we don't pay for lodging because the casinos are happy to comp me a room to ensure my presence at their tables but this was a birthday celebration trip for my wife and I knew she'd appreciate something closer to nature and farther from Starbuck's. The reviews on this site made it sound inviting, especially the one from the disgruntled guest who was so appalled at being expected to honor the arrangement they'd made. It was important that our morning relaxation would not be interrupted by the din of some unruly kids. Don't get me wrong, I have/love kids. Kids running up/down the hallways at the casino/hotel are easy to look past. Having them in the intimate setting that the Poole's provide would have been a distraction.
We had a late arrival planned, which was pushed even later by the airline. Since this isn't a hotel, I was concerned over arriving after midnight. No Problem...the front door was left open for us and there was a note directing us to our room. We all met the next morning, over coffee and tea provided with the accomodations. We sat on the back porch and took in a view that was spectacular. Its beauty never dimmed. The location was central to most anything around the north shore and to the city of Truckee. Ann and Herman are darling people, equally willing to assist guests with plans or questions as they were to let us be. Not being a stranger to the area, we didn't need much in the line of suggestions or directions, but we knew those were at our disposal.
We stayed in the room with the king bed. Comfortable bed and pillows and a TV in the room. Common bathroom was three feet away from either the king or the queen suite. During our visit, the queen was vacant, so we had the bath to ourselves. Even so, I don't think it would have been an issue if we'd have had to share.
Great value, comfort, and the ease that one would feel spending the night with an Aunt & Uncle. I can't think of a downside to staying here. Sometimes, I can close my eyes and go back there for a "quick visit".

Room Tip: I think that the king might be the only suite with its own basin. I peeked into the queen, but I di...
Neu-Ulm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

In August 2012 we stayed there for two nights and we can really recommend Pooles Guesthouse!
As we arrived we were cordially received by Ann and Herman and felt like old friends. We had a wonderful room with a great panoramic view and a really comfortable bed. We were invited to spent the evening together at Graham´s Restaurant and we had a real good time there. We enjoyed our time at Pooles´ and hope that many others may enjoy it there too.

Asotin, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have a small inn in Washington and look for small, intimate lodgings to stay at. Poole's Guesthouse was just what we hoped it would be. Ann and Herman were wonderful hosts. From the moment we walked in the door, they treated us like old friends that were visiting them. It is a unique style of lodging. Ann says B&B's are not allowed in Squaw Valley, so we rented a room and had full use of the rest of the house. Instead of being served breakfast, we got to bring in groceries and use their lovely kitchen, living room, and even the washer and dryer. We had been traveling for a week, so the washer and dryer was a big bonus for us. When we asked about hiking and biking trails, they had books to share. They made reservations for us at restaurants and had great ideas for fun things to do. Sitting on their deck, with a cup of coffee in the morning was delightful... love that clean mountain air! Our room was charming and the beds are wonderful. We only planned a 3 day weekend getaway; wish we had planned a longer stay. We will be back. Next time we want to hike up to Shirley Lake...

Mesa AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at Poole's Guesthouse and I'll definitely be back. First off, Ann and Herman are lovely people--so friendly and clearly want guests to be comfortable and happy. Ann goes the extra mile for guests- two examples: she drove another guest who didn't have a car to a nearby grocery store to pick up grocery items for her stay and when their wifi was acting up Ann drove me to squaw village so I could use their free internet on my laptop.

I was a little nervous about staying somewhere when the owners would be present, but it wasn't weird at all. Within 5 minutes of arriving I felt like I'd known Ann my whole life, it was that comfortable.

The home is gorgeous, with a fully equipped kitchen, lots of natural light and huge windows so you can look out at the woods that surround the property. Just so lovely and quiet.

My room was upstairs, Ponderosa King, and was immaculate, spacious, and comfortable. There was a shared bathroom with the other room upstairs, and I had a sink in my room.

No sketchy street parking situation here--Ann and Herman have a fully paved driveway next to their garage where you can park.

Folks, it doesn't get better than this: GREAT price, comfortable room, great property, lovely people and a stone's throw from village at squaw.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Winters, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Pleasant couple to rent from, lovely views and convenient location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Pooles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!