“Convenient, Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, CA
“Convenient, Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My family stayed here after New Years in hopes of ski-in, ski-out at Squaw. The location was terrific. We easily could eat out in the village any time of day and walk to the slopes.

The unit was very nice and comfortable for 6 of us -- 4 teenage boys, my husband and I. We requested a unit with the second room having twin beds and brought an inflatable. The sofabed was awful and we just had one boy sleep on the couch itself. The master bed was fine as were the twinbeds. We were in unit 4315 -- 2 bed/2 bath.

These units are relatively new which was nice. Granite in the kitchen and baths. Appliances were all in working order in the full kitchen. It feels like you're in a full service hotel although you have a full condo.

There are many outdoor jacuzzis. My husband used the one overlooking the slopes and loved it. The weight room was small and unimpressive but had most of the basic stuff you'd need. I was expecting bigger since the property has so many units.

There were a few small issues with a sink and not having dish soap that we were able to resolve easily through the front desk.

I thought the price was ok, not great, but you pay more for ski-in/ski-out. Our bummer was there was hardly any snow at Squaw so my family chose to drive over to Northstar since more runs were open there. We would have skied at Squaw every day if this had been a "normal" winter vacation.

They had fresh baked cookies and cider in the lobby every day after 4pm. Yum!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We love to stay at the Village when in the Tahoe area. Everything is withing walking distance: recreation, good restaurants, shopping, the mountain. We like to sit by the fireplace in the evening in the plaza. Some units are better than others.

Room Tip: We like to be on the plaza and people watch while still having a gorgeous mountain view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
cary,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Since private owners furnish these condos some are not furnished or stocked the same. We had a beautiful view of the mountain with a porch. The sofa sleeper frame was twisted and the fabric was torn. The kitchen was very poorly stocked. But after complaining to the front office all was taken care of and promptly. Great location.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a newly furnished room and well stocked kitchen
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I've stayed at other Squaw properties and always wanted to stay here. It looks beautiful on the outside and you can't beat the location. It's pretty much ski-in, ski-out with great shopping and dining right under your room. Here is what I liked about it: the parking garage is roomy, secure, and heated; ski lockers downstairs; ski-in/ski-out; great location; rooms are pretty nice. Here is what I don't like about it: The lighting in the rooms is dark. I can't read in the bedroom because the light is so soft even with it maxed out. The gym is a complete joke. It's like they had some extra space and said, "hey! let's put a gym there!" There is not enough equipment for a full work out and there is a shower with a curtain inside the gym. I'm not kidding; it's the wierdest thing. A resort like this should either have a decent gym or not have one at all. This gym is ridiculous, not thought out well, and was clearly put in just so they could say they have one. Attention to detail is very poor. For example, on the 4th floor there is a electrical socket without a cover in the hallway and it's been like that for days. In our room, the bathroom door must have swung open hard once and put a small hole in the wall. It's patched but not painted. Are those big deals? No, but what does it tell you about the place? Rooms are heated with water running through the floor. Whatever.... But, it takes forever to adjust the tempature in your room. At least they admit it though. There is a sign that basically says that right by the thermastat. My building has a common seating area as you enter with a pool table, chairs, tables, fireplace, etc. The pool table is ok I guess; I don't play pool. It's small, probably not very expensive, but I guess it's fine. The seating area has a granite floor and the furniture seems cheap. It's not warm, comfortable, or inviting.

This whole place could have been done much better. You see and feel the corners that were cut to pull this project off on or under budget. Now they are getting reviews on trip advisor that would have mortified the property owners who orginally bought here. It's an ok place to stay but don't get your expectations up too high because it's not as nice as it could be or should be.

Room Tip: Lots of rooms have a view of the parking lot. Ask for something that looks into the shopping area a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Rafael, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Well, not every Squaw Valley resort is equal. I thought I made a reservation at the "Resort at Squaw Valley" and mistakenly made one at the Village at Squaw - Lesson learned. Really look at the photos and the maps of the area to make sure you are booking where you think you are booking.
The resort is much nicer and what I remember about a previous stay there. The village is just your average olympic skier's room. Just a plain queen size bed and no extras. The people are nice, and if you ski, you are right at the mountain's base. But we are not skiers and we wanted a plush one night get away. Also, there are alot of restaurants at the Village, so that is nice, expecially, Plump Jacks.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We've stayed here many times. For some odd reason I booked another place in Squaw Valley. Our plan was to have our Thanksgiving dinner in the place we booked. When we arrived, we found the place to be small, drab, musty, and just not acceptable for preparing a previously prepared Thanksgiving meal. We immediately checked out, went over to the Village at Squaw Valley. There the wonderful receptionist gave us a walk in rate for a beautiful two bedroom suite in the village. All this for just $55 more than the dump that I had mistakenly booked.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Rancho Cucamonga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Village at Squaw is filthy and run down. It took multiple requests for simple service such as towels, etc. We asked for a view and paid the premium, only to stare at a retaining wall. Where are the new owners? If you have a reservation, CANCEL IT!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Christy B, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Hello,
I would first like to thank you and your family for staying with us in August. We go to great lengths to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us each and every time. To see that you and your family did not enjoy your vacation at The Village at Squaw Valley, is very disheartening to hear. I understand that you are frustrated and I hope that you would allow me the opportunity to speak with you personally. I know that we can do better and I hope that you would allow me to prove that to you. Thank you for consideration and I hope to hear from you shortly.

Christy Beck
General Manger of The Village at Squaw Valley

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!