“Mountain views, comfy rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Olympic Village Inn

You added Olympic Village Inn to your Saves list
Olympic Village Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1909 Chamonix Place, Located Behind Olympic Village Lodge, Olympic Valley, CA 96146   |
Folsom, California
“Mountain views, comfy rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

This place was once occupied by Olympians in the winter of 1960. Despite the years, it has been kept up, with added features such as a game room, fitness center, large club house, and fire pit. The Sierra Mountains are just outside your balcony or window. The kitchenette is functional and the outdoor barbecues are nearby and are very nice. Robes are supplied for your jaunt to the any hot tubs/or heated pool. In warm months there are bikes available to ride to Lake Tahoe. Which is only 5 miles (Tahoe City). Also in warmer months you can relax in the hammocks under the blue skies, aspens trees and mountains. Many daily activities are available to sign up to do, such as snowshoeing in winter, hikes in warmer months, and a variety of crafts. Don't forget the village in Squaw for eating and the tram that takes you to the top of the mountain to ski or swim in the mountaintop pool or head out for a hike. Great location too if you want all this plus a drive the the most beautiful lake anywhere (Lake Tahoe) or the casinos in South shore that also have nightly shows.

Room Tip: The second and third level rooms have balconies and you enter the bedroom from the hallway. Ground l...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Del Mar, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is the place to book if you want to walk to the lift at Squaw Valley, and not have to drive whiile you are at Tahoe. The location cannot be beat as the lifts are close by and you can see the beautiful mountain from your unit. If you choose they also have a shuttle to take you to the lifts for either side of the mountain. (That is, the shuttle can also take you to the Resort at Squaw Creek side of the mountain). The staff at Olympic Village is helpful, friendly and can assist with many activities in addition to skiing. There is an enormous swimming pool, 3 outdoor jacuzzis (open and available during the winter season), a game room/big screen TV, and a giant kitchen with all amenities if you want to cook for a crowd. The units have two TV's, a kitchenette, a balcony, and a queen bed and a pull out bed. The best units are the Chamonix's as they have a large bay window with seating around it to enjoy the spectacular mountain views. The Chamonixs also have a wood buring fireplace. You can walk to a variety of restaurants including our favorite, Plump Jack. All in all we really enjoyed this resort for location, friendliness and access to the best ski area at Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The number one problem with hotels and kids is if you don't have a separate room, you end up going to bed the same time as the kids. Fortunately, the suites at this Olympic are perfect for the skiing family. They are small but just enough for you two and and two kids. There is one bedroom, a separate combo living room/kitchen/fold out sofa bed room all with a shared bathroom in-between. The kitchen was fully stocked with cooking utensils, fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc. There is a little porch/deck and outside of each room is a closet door where you can keep your skis. When we were there, there was an all day shuttle (off during midday) between 8 and 5 for a few minutes drive to Squaw. While it was a bummer that the shuttle wasn't working during the night runs, it was perfect to avoid the overloaded parking lot during the day. There are outdoor hot tubs that were not hot enough to take the chill out of a sub 20 degree day. Super friendly staff with awesome Seattle's Best coffee in the fireplace warmed lobby.

Room Tip: Ground floor makes it easier to lug your luggage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent the first week of October at the Olympic Village Inn. Although the Inn dates back to the 1960 Olympics, it has been beautifully updated. Staff are exceptionally helpful with everything from supplying hiking information, free bike use, good maid service and a general happy attitude.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Modesto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

It's true that this is not a large luxury party resort. In fact, if you are looking for a timeshare trade from a high maintenance fee resort, it may not even be a good "deal." The rooms are small but adequate. We live a 3 hour drive away. I took all of my food and the small refrigerator had plenty of room. I ended up spending 5 days alone and 2 days with my husband and 2 grandkids in the room. My grandson loved the sofabed. We took an air mattress for my grand daughter. For only 2 nights, it was an adventure and fun... Alone, it was peaceful and safe and wonderful.
Lots of people enjoy the first floor so that they can walk out at ground level and have a lovely table for 4 with an umbrella. The second or third floor gives more privacy. The balcony is small and you can hear a lot more than you want to. There is a small table for 2 on the balcony, no room for a lounger
Regarding the bikes: I had read previously on TripAdvisor that a family had trouble trying to get bikes from the Activity Staff. There must be different staff now. They could not have been nicer. They helped adjust the seat. I used the same perfect bike all week. There is a phone # on the bike to call if you have a flat tire--they will come to fix it! One day, I took off for the allotted 3 hours and rode 17 miles round trip. The Truckee River bike trail was the best of my life, so far.... While there, I learned of Fanny Bridge down in Tahoe City. I rode there on my bike. (turn right at the light) You will most likely see people bending over at the bridge so they can get a good look at the very large fish. (you will see their "fanny") It was a really cute town.

My grandkids enjoyed the free arcade, ping pong and volleyball. The hot tubs and BBQ's were great, too. I was pleasantly surprised to have such good cell phone reception..
I thought the actiivities were a wide variety. I made jewelry with Rosemary one morning. I met some lovely ladies. Rosemary is very talented and I made something nice to wear to work.
The hike with Spencer was a blast. It was the hike to 5 Lakes. It has a 1000 ft elevation gain with a round trip of 5 miles. Next time, I want to hike to the top of the mountain and ride the cable car down for free. The trail head is at the back of the resort.

The staff are all helpful and just plain great!.Marshall is especially patient and kind to the "older" ladies as they talk his ear off!! It's a beautiful place. I enjoyed the beauty of the pine trees and mountains. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Central MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Spent 2 nights with my mom on her RCI points weeks. The space is tight for 3-4 people, but can be done. We slept comfortably on the pul out sofa ~ pleasant surprise! We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, free bike rental on site. Attended a "movie night" which turned out to just be a dvd & large tv, but the topic of the Donner party was interesting. Rode the gondala up the mountain and enjoyed the area for about an hour. 2 nights was too short to do much...we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and park setting/mountain off our balcony. On second floor we felt we were in a good private location. I would return here if I come back to the area.

Room Tip: on first floor you will have a patio that is along the walkway...great if you enjoy people. We pref...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oronoco, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We did enjoy the location. It was nice to be basically in between Truckee and Tahoe City and not too far from either. The quick access to the Truckee River was also nice. The Squaw Valley view was great. We took the cable car up to high camp and hiked all the way down. Finding Shirley Lake was amazing (trails are TERRIBLY marked though - this was definitely a rock-climbing adventure).

The resort itself was, as you have read, definitely on the smaller and older side. At first I didn't mind, but after being there for a week with two adults and two elementary-aged kids, I was starting to lose my patience. We had to keep moving all our stuff around because there wasn't enough room for everything and there was very little counter space in the kitchen area.

We had a few service issues. The activities staff seemed very apathetic to help when we went to ride bikes. The cleaning people wanted to charge us for towels on a cleaning day when we requested "no service". We instead told them to clean it and ended up getting the towels for free. Also, we were mischarged for a rafting trip on the Truckee that I purchased through the resort. Greg did not ask me the ages of my children. After paying, I saw a sign that said kids up to the age of 5 were cheaper. When I went to the front desk, I found out they could not give me a refund. I spoke to Greg and he basically said "too bad" since I didn't divulge the ages of my children he would not give me a refund. To me, this is one of one of those times where you don't know what you don't know. How was I to automatically know that there was different pricing for children? I am very frustrated with this attitude and will continue to fight for my refund.

Room Tip: (Some) first floor rooms have access to tables for outside seating. I thought it would be nice to h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Olympic Village Inn? Share your experiences!