“Beautiful location and easy access to Squaw Valley” 4 of 5 stars

You added Olympic Village Inn to your Saves list
Olympic Village Inn
1909 Chamonix Place, Olympic Valley, CA 96146   |
Del Mar, California
“Beautiful location and easy access to Squaw Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is the place to book if you want to walk to the lift at Squaw Valley, and not have to drive whiile you are at Tahoe. The location cannot be beat as the lifts are close by and you can see the beautiful mountain from your unit. If you choose they also have a shuttle to take you to the lifts for either side of the mountain. (That is, the shuttle can also take you to the Resort at Squaw Creek side of the mountain). The staff at Olympic Village is helpful, friendly and can assist with many activities in addition to skiing. There is an enormous swimming pool, 3 outdoor jacuzzis (open and available during the winter season), a game room/big screen TV, and a giant kitchen with all amenities if you want to cook for a crowd. The units have two TV's, a kitchenette, a balcony, and a queen bed and a pull out bed. The best units are the Chamonix's as they have a large bay window with seating around it to enjoy the spectacular mountain views. The Chamonixs also have a wood buring fireplace. You can walk to a variety of restaurants including our favorite, Plump Jack. All in all we really enjoyed this resort for location, friendliness and access to the best ski area at Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The number one problem with hotels and kids is if you don't have a separate room, you end up going to bed the same time as the kids. Fortunately, the suites at this Olympic are perfect for the skiing family. They are small but just enough for you two and and two kids. There is one bedroom, a separate combo living room/kitchen/fold out sofa bed room all with a shared bathroom in-between. The kitchen was fully stocked with cooking utensils, fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc. There is a little porch/deck and outside of each room is a closet door where you can keep your skis. When we were there, there was an all day shuttle (off during midday) between 8 and 5 for a few minutes drive to Squaw. While it was a bummer that the shuttle wasn't working during the night runs, it was perfect to avoid the overloaded parking lot during the day. There are outdoor hot tubs that were not hot enough to take the chill out of a sub 20 degree day. Super friendly staff with awesome Seattle's Best coffee in the fireplace warmed lobby.

Room Tip: Ground floor makes it easier to lug your luggage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent the first week of October at the Olympic Village Inn. Although the Inn dates back to the 1960 Olympics, it has been beautifully updated. Staff are exceptionally helpful with everything from supplying hiking information, free bike use, good maid service and a general happy attitude.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Modesto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

It's true that this is not a large luxury party resort. In fact, if you are looking for a timeshare trade from a high maintenance fee resort, it may not even be a good "deal." The rooms are small but adequate. We live a 3 hour drive away. I took all of my food and the small refrigerator had plenty of room. I ended up spending 5 days alone and 2 days with my husband and 2 grandkids in the room. My grandson loved the sofabed. We took an air mattress for my grand daughter. For only 2 nights, it was an adventure and fun... Alone, it was peaceful and safe and wonderful.
Lots of people enjoy the first floor so that they can walk out at ground level and have a lovely table for 4 with an umbrella. The second or third floor gives more privacy. The balcony is small and you can hear a lot more than you want to. There is a small table for 2 on the balcony, no room for a lounger
Regarding the bikes: I had read previously on TripAdvisor that a family had trouble trying to get bikes from the Activity Staff. There must be different staff now. They could not have been nicer. They helped adjust the seat. I used the same perfect bike all week. There is a phone # on the bike to call if you have a flat tire--they will come to fix it! One day, I took off for the allotted 3 hours and rode 17 miles round trip. The Truckee River bike trail was the best of my life, so far.... While there, I learned of Fanny Bridge down in Tahoe City. I rode there on my bike. (turn right at the light) You will most likely see people bending over at the bridge so they can get a good look at the very large fish. (you will see their "fanny") It was a really cute town.

My grandkids enjoyed the free arcade, ping pong and volleyball. The hot tubs and BBQ's were great, too. I was pleasantly surprised to have such good cell phone reception..
I thought the actiivities were a wide variety. I made jewelry with Rosemary one morning. I met some lovely ladies. Rosemary is very talented and I made something nice to wear to work.
The hike with Spencer was a blast. It was the hike to 5 Lakes. It has a 1000 ft elevation gain with a round trip of 5 miles. Next time, I want to hike to the top of the mountain and ride the cable car down for free. The trail head is at the back of the resort.

The staff are all helpful and just plain great!.Marshall is especially patient and kind to the "older" ladies as they talk his ear off!! It's a beautiful place. I enjoyed the beauty of the pine trees and mountains. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Central MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Spent 2 nights with my mom on her RCI points weeks. The space is tight for 3-4 people, but can be done. We slept comfortably on the pul out sofa ~ pleasant surprise! We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, free bike rental on site. Attended a "movie night" which turned out to just be a dvd & large tv, but the topic of the Donner party was interesting. Rode the gondala up the mountain and enjoyed the area for about an hour. 2 nights was too short to do much...we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and park setting/mountain off our balcony. On second floor we felt we were in a good private location. I would return here if I come back to the area.

Room Tip: on first floor you will have a patio that is along the walkway...great if you enjoy people. We pref...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oronoco, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We did enjoy the location. It was nice to be basically in between Truckee and Tahoe City and not too far from either. The quick access to the Truckee River was also nice. The Squaw Valley view was great. We took the cable car up to high camp and hiked all the way down. Finding Shirley Lake was amazing (trails are TERRIBLY marked though - this was definitely a rock-climbing adventure).

The resort itself was, as you have read, definitely on the smaller and older side. At first I didn't mind, but after being there for a week with two adults and two elementary-aged kids, I was starting to lose my patience. We had to keep moving all our stuff around because there wasn't enough room for everything and there was very little counter space in the kitchen area.

We had a few service issues. The activities staff seemed very apathetic to help when we went to ride bikes. The cleaning people wanted to charge us for towels on a cleaning day when we requested "no service". We instead told them to clean it and ended up getting the towels for free. Also, we were mischarged for a rafting trip on the Truckee that I purchased through the resort. Greg did not ask me the ages of my children. After paying, I saw a sign that said kids up to the age of 5 were cheaper. When I went to the front desk, I found out they could not give me a refund. I spoke to Greg and he basically said "too bad" since I didn't divulge the ages of my children he would not give me a refund. To me, this is one of one of those times where you don't know what you don't know. How was I to automatically know that there was different pricing for children? I am very frustrated with this attitude and will continue to fight for my refund.

Room Tip: (Some) first floor rooms have access to tables for outside seating. I thought it would be nice to h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Located at the end of Squaw Valley Road (about 4 miles in). If you want to go to Lake Tahoe, it is another 5 miles to Tahoe City (south Tahoe is 27 miles further south over a two lane winding road). Safeway and Save Mart are in Tahoe City. Truckee is 8 miles to the north (Save Mart and Kentucky Fried Chicken). North Tahoe is rather expensive for food. Reno is one hour away (closer than if you stayed in south Tahoe). Bring/buy your groceries if you do not want to subsidize the local restaurants.

Tahoe Gal Lake Tahoe cruise is located in Tahoe City as is North Shore Hawaiian Grill.

Resort itself has free coffee/tea 24/7 in the lobby. There is one internet connected desk top with print capability also in the lobby. There is a pool, grill area and community refrigerator in the club house (do not store ice cream or frozen food in the room mini fridge!). The club house has exercise equipment and free video classic games (you have to bring your own or rent Play Station games though). Usual cable TV stations (no HBO). There are hot tubs and you can borrow low grade mountain bikes (only ride on the bike paths).

Check out is at 11 am (they charge $25/hr if you are slow). Limited housekeeping (no T/Th), full cleaning on Wednesdays. Orientation at 9 am on Mondays, 7 pm entertaining lecture on Lake Tahoe on Tuesdays and Wine/Cheese/Fruit social at 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm on Wednesdays for example. Was mostly quite although I sometimes heard kids and people running by the room.

Air was very fresh (thought it seemed with a "hint of cinnamon")

Rooms were clean and functional (but then if you are going to stay in the room for the entire duration, why did you come here?). There is a nearby Tram ($29/adult, $22/youth) to the top of the nearby mountain in the old 1960 Olympic complex about 1000 yards away with the usual overpriced shops and restaurants. Two TVs in the room.

One queen sized bed, one bathroom, second connecting bedroom had the kitchen and a fold out sofa bed for two more people. Small balcony (we had Room 318, third floor).

Don't lose the metal keys...there is a $25 fee per key. If you are looking for more activities and more cheaper resturants and StateLine casinos then this place is not for you. If you want to hit Reno then this is a lot closer then south Tahoe. There is an hourly Tahoe Transit Bus (TART) stop nearby and a small local post office.

Hope this gives you a better idea....stayed from 6/17 - 6/21. My sister-in-law used her bonus points to allow us to stay here.

Room Tip: Isolated from south Tahoe and east Tahoe Stateline (closer to Reno). Do a Google map on this locatio...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Olympic Village Inn? Share your experiences!