“High Camp in the Summer.....spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Famous ski area with Olympic memories.
Columbia, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
“High Camp in the Summer.....spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Spent our last day in Lake Tahoe area at High Camp in Squaw Valley, couldn't have asked for a better ending to our wonderful vacation. High Camp has everything! A thrilling tram ride up the moutain face....the landscape is breathtakingly beautiful, full of huge boulders precariously placed and trees jutting out of odd places. We saw a magnificent red-tailed hawk from ABOVE, that doesn't happen often! Then we alit to High Camp, there was hiking, swimming (loved the pool), hot tub, bar and restaurant and roller skating (we didn't partake in the rink) and a museum of the history of Squaw Valley. I found the information regarding the 1960 Olympics fascinating! I can only imagine what it would be like to be at High Camp when it is wrapped in snow.

Charleston, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
“Wonderful little ski village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

As a skier, I've always skied in Colorado and recently in Montana. Although I visited Squaw Valley in the summer, I had a perfect sense of it in the winter as a ski resort. Visiting in the summer was great too. It's like a smaller Beaver Creek.

Pleasant Hill, California
12 attraction reviews
“High Camp Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Had a very nice lunch and hike at high camp. Tram is fun, but not cheap at 32 each. Squaw is dog friendly. Did not use pool. Take it easy up there as it is over 8000ft. Great views are to be had.

Reno, Nevada, United States
3 attraction reviews
“High Camp in the Summer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'm writing this specifically about High Camp. We visited yesterday (7/8/13) and I wish I had known ahead of time that it is NOT stroller friendly. The tram ride is thrilling and the pool and views are beautiful. But it is very outdated. It is as if they haven't done anything to update the place since the Olympics (60 yrs ago!). There are no ramps and while there appear to be handicapped lifts they are not easily accessible. I was told by the lifeguard that they need a staff member with a key to operate and when she called to ask for help assisting me in getting my stroller to the upper level I heard the guy on the other end of the walkie talkie say, "No. He's at lunch". So with the help of my brother we carried the stroller up and down the stairs and different levels. And trust me there are a lot. The layout of the whole place is weird. The tram is on a different level than the locker rooms, and then there are two additional levels for the pool and roller rink. We were given towels included in our Tram/Pool/Skate package but when we were through with the pool and ready to dry off, they wanted to charge us an additional $3/towel to exchange for a dry one. Weird. It didn't feel like a high class resort. Especially, with the sign on the wall that said "Persons with Diarrhea Shall Not Be Allowed in the Pool". Thankfully, we purchased a Living Social Deal which made the experience worth the $18pp we paid. But I would never go back if I had to pay the full price of $46pp.

Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
“Family Ski Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were staying with family in Reno.
Found the entire experience pleasant for the whole family.
Close to drive to so the kids were not bored.
Ski school suited all 4 kids and all their various snow board levels were catered to.
We visited twice and would have dome more but it was the end of season and snow turned mushy under blue skies. Staff were wonderful and the mountain offered all levels of runs from the beginners tow upwards. The kids aged 10,12 , 13 and 14 loved it an we were able to ski all day without worrying about them. Great shopping, restaurants and views. We will be back!

Visited April 2013