“Why were so many lifts closed?” 2 of 5 stars

and up
Lake Tahoe Circle Tour Including Squaw Valley
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Famous ski area with Olympic memories.
Surrey, UK
“Why were so many lifts closed?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went to Squaw Valley for one day midweek. Yes, it was quiet but we paid full price for our lift passes only to find about half the lifts closed - not for any other reason than cutting costs. Having usually skiied in Europe we're not content to just go up and down the same run, especially as the runs are so short, took no time at all before we were back at the lift. We did find enough to occupy us for a day, but glad we hadn't bought the lift pass for longer.

It was OK for a day, and the village is pretty, but Heavenly is much better.

8 attraction reviews
“Great skiing all levels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great place to take multi level skiers. Top of the tram has a fantastic restaurant with all amenities and starts all skiers off on easy green runs that quickly open options to tougher runs. Best place to take a family or meet groups.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Something for everybody”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I skied here two days, and really liked it. There's plenty of terrain variety. I like groomed blues, and they are off almost every lift, so you can go over the whole mountain with a little planning, and not worry you'll get into something you can't get out of. We liked it all, but be sure to also head far left and get to squaw creek chair. It sits among a lot of black runs, but there are a couple really nice blue runs, too, Lake View, and Champs Elysees that are definitely worth seeing. The view of Lake Tahoe is beautiful from Lake View run. We had a professional who stays there take our picture. I'm glad we did as now we have a 8 x 10 to show off.

Chicago, Illinois
24 attraction reviews
“I was a bit surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Skiing here. I've heard about squaw valley since I was very young, probably did to the Olympics. As this is my first trip to Tahoe I skied SV the fisrst day.

One note, I ski quite a bit and in many states. SV is an okay area but not one that I'd go out of my way to revisit. The runs are shorter than I'm accustomed to (less vertical) and when you merge into groomed areas... Oh my gosh look out! There are skiers EVERYWHERE and the young ski bums fly through at high speed, it's dangerous. I would not bring my young kids here to ski.

For the advanced skier the terrain is good but nothing noteworthy. Heavenly Valley blows it away for views, blacks and double blacks.

San Diego, CA
36 attraction reviews
“OVER PRICED, several chairlifts closed for no reason, not good for kids, lazy employees.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Imagine spending $165 to take you and your kid to Disneyland and finding half the rides closed for no reason. Well this is basically what we found skiing here President's Day week. They had about 7 chairlifts closed. I asked an employee why, and he said that it was too windy up top. This is baloney as it was warm, sunny, and zero wind. I later found out through another employee, that they hire slackers and several of them don't show up for work, so they can't open the lifts or some B.S. This place is a total RIP OFF also. Mammoth Mt. charges $79 for adults and $30 for kids and is like 5 times bigger than Squaw (and all high-speed chairs, cheaper food, better snow, and excellent service there). Squaw has the gaul to charge $106 for adults and $58 for kids. RIP-OFF!!!! They are riding on the "glory" that they hosted the Olympics... and that was 53 years ago. Many of the runs aren't that good, too steep for kids or cat tracks. We couldn't ski the top because they were too lazy to open the lifts. Only 3 toilets at the "gondola" station at top (there were 20 women in line). I would NOT suggest Squaw for kids at all. It is just OK if you are an expert skier-Heavenly and Alpine Meadows were way better. They also have a Squaw photographer who takes photos, and when we approached him, he was blowing cigarette smoke in our faces. The place has a 1980s feel to it-not enough high speed chairlifts! Many of the employees are not professional at all.