“Coming Back But Not There Yet” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Olema Campground

Olema Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olema
Olema Campground
You added Olema Campground to your Saves list
10155 Highway 1, Box #145, Olema, CA   |
Sacramento Area
“Coming Back But Not There Yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

One of the best camping locations north of San Francisco, Olema Ranch Campground has been a favorite for many many years.
We stopped coming here about two years ago as the current owner was letting it go pretty bad. New ownership tried to sell private memberships, but this didn't work for them, so they're back in business with a lot of improvements...such as, upgrades of rv pads, kids play area, new high end pads and landscaping in the circle area near the offices, bathrooms, etc. The place looks really good compared to a couple years ago and I'm very happy to have this nice spot to come and "cool off" from the valley heat in the summer.
The challenge areas: as of mid June, there is no "store'. You can't buy anything at the RV park and need to walk about 1/2 mile to the country store in Olema..just plan ahead. The prices are another concern: I got a post card in the mail for 1/2 off the second night, which I appreciated, but their rates are at the top and their services just don't compare ..yet...
Currently they are asking for $39/night midweek and $49/night Friday-Sunday...(CASH ONLY..no credit cards as of this date) if they continue to run specials to get the business back up...great; because the park was sparsely occupied and we want them to succeed and make this the premier destination on the coast. They still have a ways to go to compare to Duncan Mills Campground (Resorts of Distinction) and hopefully they will affliate with a major camping company like Thousand Trails, ROD, RPI, etc....
Come give it a try...beautiful, peaceful and coming back , but bring your cash!

• Liked — Beautiful settting with mature trees and open lawn areas near beach areas.
  • Disliked — No store and cash only.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
citrus heights calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

My girlfreind and I bring our children (Sans husbands) of all ages every year to Olema Ranch because it has a variety of things to do and see close by. We have always had nothing but the best in service and campgrounds, I tell people about it all the time. Thanks Olema!!!

• Liked — the grounds were terrific
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

My friends and I camped here Aug 17-19, 2007. We wanted to be close to Point Reyes and the closest state park (Samuel P. Taylor) was booked for the entire summer.... so I stumbled across this private campsite and they had plenty of availability. The place was very close to Point Reyes, the showers were free (hot water too!), and bathrooms were relatively cleaner than other campsites I've been to. I just found this campground a bit expensive -- they charge $40 per night per campsite (4 people) while state parks only charge $20-25 for 8 people per campsite. I'd come back again if Samuel P. Taylor is all booked again next year!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sausalito
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

Point Reyes is an amazing place with lots of animals, trails and beaches. Plus the San Andreas fault! A couple of years ago I was looking for a place to camp near Point Reyes and stumbled across this park. Last month I went back with my family and stayed three nights. I have stayed in lots of RV parks and but Olema CG is one of the nicest and prettiest I have encountered. Also it must be a secret or something because both times it was less than a quarter full. Apparently there are new owners who are making a big effort. It is not the cheapest park around but the proximity to the trails and the feeling that you are in the park already make it worthwhile. Lots of trees, grass and a stream that sometimes has salmon and trout. (but you can't take them) I plan to reroute my trip to stop here on the way home.

Stayed June 2007
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

We stayed one night here in our 32 foot class c (with a 12 foot slide) and found the campground very nice. We have a 2 year old and 4 old and requested to be close to the play area. We had a great spot in Gum Circle (231) one of the biggest in the place. It only had partial hook-ups but with a dump station on site, this posed no issue. There were lots of rvs in the park with large slides and the sites are a good size to accommodate such rigs. Tent camping is in the back in a section by itself. I would not get a full hook-up spot since the sites are cramped together in a circle at the front of the property right off the main highway; no trees or "woodsy" camping feeling here either. The restrooms were very clean, although I didn't shower, I still peeked in and was pleased to see them well kept. The park is only 35-45 from San Francisco and other great visiting places such as Pt. Reyes Lighthouse. We paid $38 for the night (winter rate) but felt this was fair given other area campgrounds. There were rumors this place was being bought out by KOA; an employee confirmed they were selling but NOT to KOA. We had no issues with disorderly conduct or management and found there to be a good mix of people -- hikers/adventuresome type, families, and seniors alike. I would definitely recommend this campground.

• Liked — Large spots
  • Disliked — Full hook-up sites in the front
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a partial hook-up site nearest to the tent camping area
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

I planned an overnighter back in June 06 and during the reservation process there were telltale signs of mismanagement. I thought it was too good to be true that I could call to place a campsite on hold for a day until I had my credit card #. The lady was very nice, but never made the reservation. The next person to help me said the previous employee had trouble with English even though she spoke and understood perfectly.

When my plans changed I called well in advance of the cancellation policy only to have to jump through hoops to get a refund. One of the reservation folks, Gill can be one of the least courteous people to deal with and to get him to listen requires getting frustrated and near yelling into the phone. He also seems to know very little about anything to do with the company – even the name of the parent company that owns the place!

Another beaut is Mark Sterling, a manager who “handles” refund requests. It took over a week to receive a phone call acknowledging my request and here it is over three weeks later, still no credit. MasterCard, AAA travel and the Better Business Bureau have all been notified of these shady business practices.

Beware of doing business with these lame-o-s.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Dealing with the employees
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I can not believe how expensive it is to stay at this campground, not only is the cost insane, the campground is terrible. They pack you in like cattle, and god forbid you have a dog. The dog rules are crazy. Worst experience ever in a campground.

Stayed April 2006

Been to Olema Campground? Share your experiences!