“Worst Camping Trip” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hat Creek Resort & RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Station
Hat Creek Resort & RV Park
Save Saved
You added Hat Creek Resort & RV Park to your Saves list
12533 Highway 44, PO Box 110, Old Station, CA 96071   |
Placerville, California, United States
“Worst Camping Trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I will never camp at the Hat Creek RV Resort again. Do not call in your stay at this resort. The staff is incompetent and will screw up your reservations. I called in to shorten my stay and it was not changed so I had to pay for days I was not there. The staff refused to do anything because they said they never make mistakes. I was told if they refunded everyone, they would be out of business.(sounds like they make a lot of mistakes!) I had spoken to a few campers at the resort and have had similar complaints. I told them we would not stay there again and they told me fine, we’re always full and don’t need your business! WOW! Such terrible customer service! They gave out misinformation.(telling people free fishing day was Friday, July 6 when it was actually Saturday, July 7th.)They have terrible cable tv service(doesn’t work at all!) They clean their septic tanks by your camp without warning so you get a nice aroma of crap for breakfast!
I RECOMMEND STAYING AT THE RANCHERIA RV RESORT ON HWY 89.

Room Tip: I would call for a reservation. The staff is incompetent and will screw up your reservations. It hap...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We reserved 2 trailer sites and one tent site several months prior to our stay of one week. First thing to know...this is no RESORT. There is virtually no Wifi, no cell reception, no game room (we had with us 2 children), the laundry facilities are small and the dryers poorly functioning and the shower was a mess. On the plus side, we were right on beautiful Hat Creek!! The kids caught lots of fish (though none there...the water was rushing too fast). The ability to have a camp fire at night was great for the family...gotta have Smores! Kids played lots of basketball, badminton and rode their bikes around the park. The ladies at the store were not friendly, not helpful, but not overtly rude. All in all, my best advice is be as self sufficient as possible.

Room Tip: Understand that if you have a creekside site, people will be walking by as there is a trail right ne...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Elk Grove, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I hope that evryone that reads this review of the Hat Creek Resort and RV Park will think twice about staying there. Their website states that "Guests Come First!" WRONG. We have stayed at this park for over 20+ years with great memories. Since Mary Bertram, the roaming manager, arrived there in July 2011, it has changed for the worst. I tried to book our regular site for 2 1/2 months in 2012 which was vacant, according to the friendly on-site manager, Diane. She said O.K. and cinfirmed it by taking my credit card information. Within minutes, Diane called back because Mary instructed her to let me know that we would not be allowed to reserve the site because they had changed it to a group site or big rig site or short stay site ( evidently could not make up their mind). However, I could have the site right next to the site I wanted. Now, does that make sense? I could then see how often it was vacant. Doesn't it make more business sense to reserve a guaranteed reservation rather than hope you get a reservation from many others which might give you more money. In the past, we have over looked the run-down toilet and bath facilities that overflow on the floors, the cold water only wasing machines and poor dryers plus the steps in front of the cabins that can cause someone to fall and the poorly stocked store. Go down the road to Rim Rock Store where it is fully stocked. Believe me, this is no longer a customer friendly facility. I sent this to all three owners and posted it on their website (which is only for their use) before I posted this thinking they would respond. I have never received a response. Like I say, they do not care. I am also a disabled person with a heart condition, so the site we wanted is more level than some of the others. I will not return as long as Mary remains at this location. I customer friendly managers are Diane and Dave. Good luck with keeping previous long staying customers. Of course, I guess you don't care. By the way, we were there in July 2011, and a family relative had a health problem and 911 came to our site to help him. Neither Mary or Joe came over to see if there was anything they could do or had any concerns. When the prior managers were there, Joe and Tracy, they always were around to show their concerns and see if they could help. We have brought in many additional customers in the past years, but we have now put out the word about the new unfriendly Hat Creek Resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We ended our 27 day, 435 mile northbound section hike of the Pacific Crest Trail at Hat Creek on a Sunday afternoon at the very end of September (It snowed two days later!). It's a lovely place, very clean and tidy, expecially the campgrounds, and that's something we can't say for all the other places we visited along the trail. We had a motel room, #7, and it was very spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable. Other friends had a cabin and it was also very attractive, clean and comfortable. Our room had a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and coffee, so, with fixin's from the store that's part of the resort we were all set for breakfast and lunch. Free Wifi and a great guest laundry (very important to us hiker folks!). Having hiked in, we had no car and it turned out the deli/restaurant was closed (It was very off-season and the restaurant was closed Sunday/Monday.) Luckily, we met the owner as we were checking in and he offered to drive us to the nearest open restaurant (7 miles) and pick us up after dinner. He must have heard our stomachs rumbling. He was so nice! And everyone else we met at the resort was friendly and helpful, too. Lassen National Park nearby, which we hiked through, is a truly lovely, undiscovered gem and the flyfishing on Hat Creek (which flows right thru the resort) is really outstanding (we're told -- didn't get to actually try that ourselves.) We'd definitely go back and, in fact, we're already planning to spend a few days here before we start the next section of the PCT, continuing North to Canada next year.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Esparto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Very disappointing trip this year to say the least, and it saddens me to write this. My family has been going to the Hat Creek area for years and often stayed at the Hat Creek Resort before it was taken over by the current management/corporation. The current managment is not "people friendly", and when you asked one the of their staff a question, the management would step in and sarcastically say "they are just employees." How embarassing for us as well and the "employee." The ladies who checked us in were very nice, but lacked in training...one the most frustrating experiences we ever had! We were there over the Labor Day weekend and you would think they would staff it accordingly, as well as stocking up on basic items in their general store, and maintaining the facility especially the restrooms!. In addition...don't pay cash! My son , who paid cash, was overcharged. They didn't deduct the deposit made several months in advance when he checked in. By the time he realized what had happened there was no way to prove it. When we asked the managment to check on it we were treated poorly, and of course they said we didn't over-pay. Those who have stayed there before know what I am talking about. Their receipts are very confusing. Overall...the rates were to high for what you receive...in both facilities and service. Under the current conditions, and management...we won't go back. I recommend staying at Rippling Waters, Hereford Ranch, Rancheria, or Cassel Campground. Much better customer service!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Motorcycle friendly, We stayed in their little motel, clean rooms w/refer & microwave, great heaters it snowed the night we were there in MAY! Hat Creek across the parking lot from our rooms. Friendly staff
Note; bring some food or snacks very few restaurants in the area and they close early

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Yuba City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

What a lovely spot. Too bad it was ruined by loud, obnoxious road construction just 100 yards from our cabin. When asked when it would end, no one knew. Or really even cared. Upon checking out two nights early we were told it would be taken care of, which we assumed to mean we would get our money back. Not true. No apologies, no refund and extremely rude customer service. In addition, no hot water when we got up in the morning. They offered a "scenic, relaxing vacation spot". Not even close. We will never go back.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hat Creek Resort & RV Park? Share your experiences!