“Lovely, relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, CA
“Lovely, relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I escaped to Ojai from LA for a weekend away without the kids in June. The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa was the perfect place. The service was friendly and competent, the hotel and grounds were beautiful. We stayed in one of the buildings near the spa and loved the location, but I was a little disappointed with the decor of the room. Also, our room was on the bottom floor, so it was a little dark. Next time I would ask for a room that's higher up. We ate at Jimmy's Pub for lunch, the Oak Grill for dinner and room service for breakfast. We also ordered food at the pool. All the food was good, but very pricey, which we expected. The pool scene was nice but then turned a little too club-like after a certain hour, with loud, sort of cheesy music. We still enjoyed ourselves. I wouldn't want to be in a room near the pool, though. My husband got a body scrub at the spa and was happy with the service. We had a really nice, relaxing weekend and are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Came here with a living socials deal in April for a couple's weekend. It's been on my bucket list for a while, and I'm so glad Living Social had a deal. We originally booked the Shanghai Fireplace Suite for a Saturday, but there was a few weddings taking place so were complimentary upgraded to a villa. It was HUGE and so beautiful. Bedroom, fireplace, bathroom (with separate shower and tub), 2 TVs (one in living room area) and one in bedroom, side bar, and beautiful private outdoor patio that came with comfortable outdoor furniture and outdoor fireplace. All furnishings were comfortable, cozy, and luxurious.

We went to the hotel restaurant for dinner (Maravilla). It was good, a bit overpriced, but that's at all hotels. But the service and ambiance was beyond perfect.

Went to the spa. Fantastic! Best spa I've ever been. Steam room, several outdoor pools, and the massage was amazing...you can pick from three different oils (lavender, citrus, and something else). I chose lavender which was divine! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Pick any room with a fireplace to enhance your experience!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My friend and I were celebrating our 50th birthdays. We go the spa package. The spa's therapists were top notch. We had an anti aging facial, body wrap, and massages. They were all spectacular. The staff were very friendly and it was all very inviting. We will be coming back again.

Room Tip: Excellent view from this room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We just got back from a weekend celebrating my birthday with our two young children. We traveled to several So.Cal resorts in the past couple of years, and hands down, Ojai Valley Inn has to be our favorite so far. It's amazing that only an hour or so away from L.A, is this incredibly peaceful resort in a lovely little artist's town.

I could heap praise on the rooms and the immaculate grounds, like other reviewers, and I gladly will, but there are many pretty places in So. Cal. What we felt truly makes this place special is the incredible staff; to a man/woman everyone we encountered just bent over backwards to see we had everything we could want. Over and over we were impressed by the thoughtful little touches, like complimentary sunscreen at the pool (first time I've seen that) or fresh seasonal fruit in the rooms. At one point my husband inquired about where he could purchase some lime (for our in-room cocktails) and the staff immediately rushed to get him a whole bowl of cut up lines, no charge.

Our children were treated as welcomed guests as well- this is a resort that really welcomes the little ones while still keeping a luxurious and peaceful environment for other guests. If you have little children, you know that it's often hard to find places that allow them their natural exuberance without feeling guilty for disturbing others. Ojai Valley Inn is thoughtfully designed to allow plenty of space for both kids and adults, which really helps we parents relax and enjoy. The main family pool has both a larger fresh/salt water pool as well as a wading pool for the very littlest kids (with shade) and a whole box of pool toys. We also took advantage of Camp Ojai, which our kids loved (they have different activities each day if your kids go more than once) and which allowed relaxation time for we parents. The resort also offers bikes with kid seats for the easy, paved and shaded trail directly into town.

If there was any downside, I'd have to agree with others that food and beverage can be very pricey. These are definitely resort prices. I would also have liked to see more variety for the vegetarian/vegan and I think in the coming years the food and beverage options will continue to evolve. In the meantime, there are many great dining options only a few blocks away in town, if you can pull yourself away from the resort.

The resort offers way more than we could take advantage of in just one weekend, and we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: I think we had a Fireplace Mini Suite - which had a wonderful patio overlooking the golf course with...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Ojai Valley inn & spa is a beautiful property. However the prices for food and services are a bit high. The service was mostly excellent, especially Spencer in the golf shop, Alisa at the Oak grill, and the vallets. There were only two negative experiences I had there, with an older balding gentalmen at the golf course. I signed for a golf cart and when I handed him the receipt he responded in what seemed like anger/ frustration and rudely shouted we don't have enough carts. Even after Spencer ask him to give me a cart he continued with the same nasty attitude. I was so bothered by his attitude and the way he spoke to me I decided to cancel playing golf there. I was resigned to other activities during our stay. If not for Spencer I would have left the Ojai valley Inn & Spa with a less than good feeling. Overall the staff was friendly and the service was good. Be warned you may have sticker shock when the dinner tab comes, my wife and I had lunch at Jimmy's Pub, 2 tacos, a hot dog and three drinks (alcohol), $83 with tip. Normally not a problem as long as the food, the service and price are at that same level. If I'm paying top dollar I want good food and good service. I won't compromise on either. I rate the food at a generous 3 out of 5. The servce was mostly very good. I liked the Ojai Valley inn and Spa. I don't think that we'll return and for me, that's the bottom line, would I want to spend my time & $$$$ for a less than memerable experience. The finisher was my feeble attempt to sleep in and order room service, which was squashed by the concierge who answered for the front desk. Oh well with only 308 guest rooms I guess made an unreasonable request.

• Stayed September 2013
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Ojai is a great place for a few days of R&R. This hotel is perfect for couples, girlfriend trips, or solo. The golf course is a well maintained, nice course. The spa is relaxing, and the services are quality at a fair price. The spa facility is kept clean, nice amenities and the staff is attentive. The spa pool as well as the hotel pool are both relaxing environments, clean and not reeking of chlorine. The air quality in Ojai is awesome, the mountain views are refreshing, the stars at night are serene. While the hotel has good restaurants onsite, the small town offers a few really nice and incredibly relaxing dining establishments. This is a fantastic get-a-way location. You will enjoy the environment, the R&R pampering and leave feeling rejuvenated. No hustle and bustle in Ojai, just fresh clean air, mountains and quiet serenity. The spa is not as "lush" looking as some newer facilities - but it is worth every penny because the staff treats you like a five star luxury resort should treat its guests. Jimmy's bar is a favorite place after golf, but also in the evenings too. Thoroughly enjoy our stays here. The "rustic" rooms are spacious, very clean, nice amenities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Indio, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Beautiful property with amazing vistas. Maravilla is a memorable dining experience. Our room was wonderful except we were close to Jimmy's Pub and Oak Grille...so early in the morning, I had the staff preparing in the kitchen for breakfast. I am a light sleeper so I can forgive this as our experience was amazing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!