“Magnificent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“Magnificent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I recently moved from California and I could not wait to go back once I had the opportunity to return. The only reason I continue to come back is because i truly can not get over the sheer beauty of it all. You become a different person. With its gorgeous views over the mountains and beautiful landscapes. One just feels completely relaxed and rejuvenated. The service is as impeccable as always and all you need is right at your foot steps
This hotel is worth a trip 1000 times over!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous. I would choose one with a view and a fire place
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Torrance, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Ojai Valley Inn was a very stunning property. We arrived at night so we couldn't really see anything, but the following morning was gorgeous! We were able to walk to breakfast and we loved the breakfast buffet. We enjoyed a couple's massage at their beautiful spa where we were treated like kings and queens! We had the opportunity to go to their restaurant Marvilla where we ate some of the best scallops that I have ever had, my wife had the beets and ravioli which was amazing! Our experience was better with the company of our server Kaytie, she was very personable, friendly and knowledgeable! I think my wife has made a new friend. We want to give a special thank you to the Director of Sales who organized the best parts of our stay. We will be returning .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed here as part of a girls holiday to go to the day spa for treatments. The day spa was very luxurious and worth the expense. Wonderful resort with everything you could possible desire. From wonderful staff to delicious food in the different cafes and restaurants. We had cocktails at joes bar, delicious salads for lunch at cafe Verde and a gourmet dinner at Maravilla.
If the weather is right try and see the Pink moment.

• Stayed July 2013
Andover, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family loves to travel all over the world and we just had the most amazing experience at the resort. The room (we had a suite near the family pool) was perfect and the bed was the most comfortable we had ever slept in. The restaurants and cafes were great also and the staff and facilities were unrivaled. The kids had so much fun exploring the gardens and going on hikes and we took advantage of the spa. Jimmy's Pub at sunset with signature chips and a micro brew is a perfect way to end the day. The town of Ojai (within walking distance) is also lovely and a fun excursion.

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the main path to the restaurant, near the family pool. Very convenient fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary at this lovely Inn and came back again to celebrate anniversary 51. This is a beautifully maintained and well-managed Inn in a truly breathtaking setting. All of the staff we encountered were cordial and helpful and seemed truly interested in ensuring that our celebrations were a success. Our rooms were beautiful both years but very different, once a traditionally-decorated fireplace room overlooking the mountains and this year a serenely contemporary fireplace room with patio on the golf-course. Food is consistently good and provided in formats ranging from "grab and go" to fine dining. The resort offers a varied range of activities for all ages, including yoga and excercise. There appears to be something for everyone here, with apparently excellent facilities for families with children, and other facilities catering to young and old adults, the lap swimmers and poolside sitters. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family enjoys vacationing and we don't mind paying the high price tag to stay in fine resorts because we value the comfort and service that comes along with that price tag. That is why my husband and I chose to celebrate our 30th anniversary by spending the weekend at this particular resort. Unfortunately, our experience was counter to what we expect from a 5-star resort.

It is indeed a very nice resort, however, our treatment upon check-in tainted our entire stay, thus the poor review. When I made our reservation I informed them that we were celebrating our anniversary. Clearly they knew, because when we checked in the woman at the desk said, I see you are celebrating your anniversary, we have a very nice room we are getting ready for you. Great! However, when I arrived at the room, the first thing I noticed is it is a handicapped equipped room. Not what I had in mind for our romantic getaway, a room in which the bathroom is reminiscent of a hospital room. I called the front desk and asked to be moved. Dominic answered and said he would call back. I waited a bit, but decided there was no point in waiting in a room in which I had no intention of staying. We went back to the front desk where Dominic informed me that he had tried to call me back to tell me there was nothing he could do, there were no other rooms available (although we had checked in 2 hours before check in time). I told him I did not want that room and he told me the only other room he could offer was not the caliber of room I had booked, it looked out at a street and that I wouldn't like it. Wow, let's see should I take bad choice 1 or 2?? He curtly told me that is just the way it goes and that sometimes somebody has to stay in those rooms. At this point Dominic and I just stood there staring at each other, in my mind I'm thinking there is no way I am staying in an unsatisfactory room at this price point ($468/night with fees and tax). To force that on me was totally inappropriate. I felt frustrated and deceived and frankly, I felt like he didn't care. I was here to get away for a few days and relax, yet here I am starting off my stay having to fight for something that should have been provided in the first place. I was not in the mood, so I walked out and sent my husband in to deal with it. Dominic told him the same thing, but I guess my husband was more persistent, because Dominic discovered he had made a mistake and the room that was available wasn't so bad after all.

I understand that handicapped rooms are a necessity. If they aren't used by someone that needs them there are two ways to handle selling them. 1. Discount them and offer them to customers, disclosing to them what they are getting. 2. When they are the only rooms left, that should be disclosed at the time the reservation is made and offered as such. If that had been offered to me for this particular weekend, I would have said no thank you and made a reservation elsewhere.

Dominic apologized three times over the course of the weekend and comped breakfast during our stay. We were still left with a bad feeling. With all the other choices for getaways, I doubt seriously we would ever return.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
OjaiResort, General Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience Mr & Mrs. RST2034, although the situation and experience is not as we would have liked, we appreciate you taking the time to write us as it will only assist us to improve our ability with accommodating our guests and their requests when visiting the property.

We do understand and appreciate the importance of an Anniversary and apologize that your special occasion did not begin on a celebratory note. With high occupancies, room availability can be very limited and we noticed your request for a nice view in a quiet location was the preference, which we felt the original location would fit as this is one of our most sought after locations on the property.

We did attempt to follow up with you during your stay and apologize we were not able to find an agreed upon resolution prior to your departure. We never anticipate nor do we want our guests to leave the property feeling the way you did and hope to have the chance to regain your confidence in the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa if your travels bring you back our way.

I will be following up directly with you through your contact information on file, thank you again for your feedback.

Shaun O’Bryan
Resort Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here on our wedding night. We were warmly welcomed and upgraded rooms free of charge! We didn't have time to check out a lot of the property because we had to leave early the next morning but had an overall great experience. Had breakfast delivered to our room which was great and had a great, very clean room. Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!