“Best family/couple resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“Best family/couple resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

we have been coming here for several years for any kind of an occasion. Its a great place for couples getting away on a romantic trip and also for families. The most outstanding service! We travel all around the world and have never experienced better service. The staff remember your names, likes and dislikes.The surroundings are beautiful and peaceful. Their spa is and experience not to be missed! The first name that comes to mind anytime we want to go on a short escape is this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

963 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

When I arrived at this beautiful resort I was promptly greeted and escorted to the check-in desk. The young women apologized for my wait and began to check me in - she informed me I was in a double bed room - I asked if it was possible to get a room with a King bed - after searching the system she said that there were no King rooms available but that I had a "Lovely" room. OK, so I proceed to my "lovely" room - it's in the hotel lobby building in a courtyard that leads to the parking lot on the 1st floor with NO outdoor lighting. When I walked in, my patio was in the parking lot! I called over to the desk and was told - OK, we can put you on the third floor on the other side of your building - I walked back to the desk, picked up these keys and went to my third floor room - I was shocked to see it had a King bed (when I was informed there were NO ROOMS) and it looked over the golf course and the "Kid" pool. I didn't complain again - and just dealt with the endless "Mom...." kid calls coming from the pool. On my first morning, I got up for a run and planned to go to the coffee shop "Joe & Go" which was to open at 7am. I arrived at 7:15 - it was not open, yet all the signs said 7am. At 7:20, they showed up and then it took 20 minutes to get a coffee, bagel to go - so, not really "Joe & Go". They need to revisit their customer service - they have such an amazing property it would be great if the service would rise to meet the expectations.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the TOPA building - it's next to the Kid friendly pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your past experience with us at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa. I was disappointed to hear we failed to properly communicate and place you in a room that met your expectations for your visit. We will be revisiting with each of our front desk associates to ensure our customer service is at the 5-diamond level that we pride ourselves on. I have addressed with each of the department managers to ensure these issues do not occur in the future.
Thank you again for bringing these challenges to our attention and we look forward to welcoming you back and ensuring your experience is nothing short of perfect!
Dominic Donatoni
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A dream come true..this hotel surpasses all expectations...even came with a wedding...magical grounds, great facilities, spa experience from the facial and body scrub, to the massage all to perfection. My visit included a Michael Bolton sighting. Rented a bike on site and went for a great ride on an adorable bike path, golf, tennis, lavender...i loved it and would highly recommend the hotel, the rooms, the food, the music, the bike rental, the gold, the herbal pool and the list goes on. my favorite hotel so far this year!!!!! two thumbs way up!!!!

Room Tip: villa on the golf course...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Visited Jimmys Pub with a group of friends for a let evening round of signature drinks - What an amazing evening under the moon and stars! Don't mean to be overdramatic, but we were treated to great selection of beer and tequila at the Pub. Thanks to Rudy for his attentive service, and to Shanda for her drink recommendation and sampling. Again, a perfectly amazing evening!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here on the first night of our 47th anniversary week of celebrations and it couldn't have been a better start. The place was perfectly romantic. The staff was friendly and helpful and went out of the way to make our stay wonderful. The food at the Oak Grill was delicious at both meals we ate there and the setting, again, was perfectly romantic. As my bride said, this is my new favorite place.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa hotel. We were visiting Ojai for the music festival but the Inn was definitely the highlight of the trip and a pleasant surprise.

OVERALL
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a large SPRAWLING resort-style, five star hotel that caters to wedding goers (I believe there were 3 while we were there), golfers and families with children. The overall property is not "new" but has been renovated and upgraded over the years. It is by far the nicest place to stay in Ojai.

It reminded me very much of the Bacara Resort near Santa Barbara (about 45 min away). I liked the Ojai Valley Inn much better despite the fact that the Bacara was newer and had an ocean front location. Despite the fact there were so many weddings, I was surprised at how well the place operated despite all of the weddings going on - it appears they have the right levels of staffing to serve those of us who are NOT there for a wedding. I appreciate and admire the way this place is run - if you didn't see all of the overflow parking you wouldn't even know that there were so many different events going on.

LOCATION
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a quick walk to the quaint downtown area. We walked everywhere and only took 15-20 minutes to get to a bunch of great restaurants and one (crazy) bar in Ojai. Basically you walk to the entrance of the property and near the tennis courts is a sign for the hiking trail. This is a walk/bike trail and goes directly to downtown - you can't get lost. Note - if you are walking back at night bring a flashlight (or have an app on your phone ready as it gets dark!). We also drove to a great and challenging hike (horn canyon) near a school that the concierge directed us to.

CHECK IN
Check in was smooth and the young woman who helped us out was super friendly. We were given an upgrade to a Junior Suite near the adult pool. Parking is far from the rooms so plan to use the valets.

GETTING AROUND THE RESORT
The resort consists of numerous buildings with various levels and views. I still can't get my head around all of it - it's a good thing they provide a map! I enjoyed walking around the property and going up and down all of the stairs, etc. Be sure to check out the various pools and the large bird cage was interesting. They also had some small bites at the adult pool before dinner.

ROOM
The room was surprisingly up to date and had a modern, upscale feel. (I didn't expect this) The blue azul colors in the room gave everything a clean feel and the bed, pillows and bedding were all excellent and California modern. The bathroom was done in a mexican tile (not my favorite finish) but it worked with the other blue and white colors in the room. The toiletries were of a high quality and there was a separate soaking tub and shower (shower in with the toilet in a separate space). I liked that there was a laundry basket for dirty towels. We requested a refrigerator and it was complimentary and received promptly.

DINING
We enjoyed lunch at one of the pools and it was honestly incredible. We split the heirloom tomato salad and a black bean burger with sweet potato fries. Both were excellent but the Tomato Salad was a work of art. Sitting on a basil-cream puree were colorful and perfect chunks of heirloom tomatoes. On top of that was some amazing burrata and then decorated in a weave were some pickled onions. Truly delicious - we have since tried (and failed) to recreate this at home. We also had breakfast at the main restaurant and enjoyed that as well. We experienced excellent service everywhere we went.

ROOM SERVICE
We had room service breakfast which was expensive and delicious.

VALET
The resort is large. I liked walking around but if it's ever an issue there are tons of valets driving golf carts around. They make a point of stopping if they see you walking and are quick to offer a ride. One thing to keep in mind, if there are a lot of wedding guests parking will quickly disappear and it's difficult for the valet team to keep up. I imagine this would be at its worst on a Saturday night.

GYM
We didn't use the spa but it looked nice and appeared well staffed. The gym was very nice (downstairs from the spa), was well equipped with a decent amount of free weights and resistance training equipment for a hotel

In all honesty, before the trip I wasn't that excited to go to Ojai. But after staying at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, I could honestly go once a year for a few days if I knew I was staying here. It's a relaxing, picturesque place to stay and after walking by some of the other hotels, the only "nice" place to stay. (some of the other hotels we walked by looked downright scary). Highly recommended - visiting this resort is a good excuse to spend a few nights in Ojai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the adult pool
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary and were not disappointed. An activity/experience coordinator contacted us within a couple days of booking our rooms. I let her know that we were staying there for our 5 year anniversary and she helped arrange appointments for the spa. In addition, she can coordinate other activities for you such as horse back riding, bike rides, hiking, etc...

The town of Ojai is small and very nice. Plenty little artsy shops to peruse. We spent a little bit of time in the town of Ojai and spent the rest of it at the resort.

The resort grounds are very beautiful and all framed with a backdrop of southern california mountains. From the moment we arrived, the resort staff were all very attentive and friendly which made it feel all the more special. Just about everything about the resort and spa are incredible. My wife and I had spa treatments and were very impressed with the quality of the professional staff and the treatments themselves (I would recommend making appointments well ahead of your stay).

There are several restaurants onsite (Maravilla, Oak Grill, Jimmy's Pub and small cafes). All are excellent should you decide to stay onsite for dinner. We had our anniversary dinner at the Maravilla and sat outside on the balcony. I would highly recommend and request ahead of time as there are only a handful of tables available on the balcony.

There are numerous pools that you can lounge at. We spent an afternoon relaxing at the outdoor spa pool. Again the poolstaff were excellent and were always available to bring us water and take orders for cocktails or food.

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend the Ojai Valley Resort and Spa for any special occasion. We were there for an anniversary but there are activities available for those with children as well that would be give you time to relax on your own. As with just about any resort I've stayed at (in the U.S.), it's not cheap and there are the usual markups you'd expect such as daily resort fees, pricey drinks/meals, etc... but they treat you very well here and it's a wonderful getaway.

Room Tip: Would love to choose something over looking the Mint Garden areas. That being said, I'm sure mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!