“I would return to Ojai just for this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Spring Midweek Escape
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
San Diego, California
“I would return to Ojai just for this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa hotel. We were visiting Ojai for the music festival but the Inn was definitely the highlight of the trip and a pleasant surprise.

OVERALL
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a large SPRAWLING resort-style, five star hotel that caters to wedding goers (I believe there were 3 while we were there), golfers and families with children. The overall property is not "new" but has been renovated and upgraded over the years. It is by far the nicest place to stay in Ojai.

It reminded me very much of the Bacara Resort near Santa Barbara (about 45 min away). I liked the Ojai Valley Inn much better despite the fact that the Bacara was newer and had an ocean front location. Despite the fact there were so many weddings, I was surprised at how well the place operated despite all of the weddings going on - it appears they have the right levels of staffing to serve those of us who are NOT there for a wedding. I appreciate and admire the way this place is run - if you didn't see all of the overflow parking you wouldn't even know that there were so many different events going on.

LOCATION
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a quick walk to the quaint downtown area. We walked everywhere and only took 15-20 minutes to get to a bunch of great restaurants and one (crazy) bar in Ojai. Basically you walk to the entrance of the property and near the tennis courts is a sign for the hiking trail. This is a walk/bike trail and goes directly to downtown - you can't get lost. Note - if you are walking back at night bring a flashlight (or have an app on your phone ready as it gets dark!). We also drove to a great and challenging hike (horn canyon) near a school that the concierge directed us to.

CHECK IN
Check in was smooth and the young woman who helped us out was super friendly. We were given an upgrade to a Junior Suite near the adult pool. Parking is far from the rooms so plan to use the valets.

GETTING AROUND THE RESORT
The resort consists of numerous buildings with various levels and views. I still can't get my head around all of it - it's a good thing they provide a map! I enjoyed walking around the property and going up and down all of the stairs, etc. Be sure to check out the various pools and the large bird cage was interesting. They also had some small bites at the adult pool before dinner.

ROOM
The room was surprisingly up to date and had a modern, upscale feel. (I didn't expect this) The blue azul colors in the room gave everything a clean feel and the bed, pillows and bedding were all excellent and California modern. The bathroom was done in a mexican tile (not my favorite finish) but it worked with the other blue and white colors in the room. The toiletries were of a high quality and there was a separate soaking tub and shower (shower in with the toilet in a separate space). I liked that there was a laundry basket for dirty towels. We requested a refrigerator and it was complimentary and received promptly.

DINING
We enjoyed lunch at one of the pools and it was honestly incredible. We split the heirloom tomato salad and a black bean burger with sweet potato fries. Both were excellent but the Tomato Salad was a work of art. Sitting on a basil-cream puree were colorful and perfect chunks of heirloom tomatoes. On top of that was some amazing burrata and then decorated in a weave were some pickled onions. Truly delicious - we have since tried (and failed) to recreate this at home. We also had breakfast at the main restaurant and enjoyed that as well. We experienced excellent service everywhere we went.

ROOM SERVICE
We had room service breakfast which was expensive and delicious.

VALET
The resort is large. I liked walking around but if it's ever an issue there are tons of valets driving golf carts around. They make a point of stopping if they see you walking and are quick to offer a ride. One thing to keep in mind, if there are a lot of wedding guests parking will quickly disappear and it's difficult for the valet team to keep up. I imagine this would be at its worst on a Saturday night.

GYM
We didn't use the spa but it looked nice and appeared well staffed. The gym was very nice (downstairs from the spa), was well equipped with a decent amount of free weights and resistance training equipment for a hotel

In all honesty, before the trip I wasn't that excited to go to Ojai. But after staying at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, I could honestly go once a year for a few days if I knew I was staying here. It's a relaxing, picturesque place to stay and after walking by some of the other hotels, the only "nice" place to stay. (some of the other hotels we walked by looked downright scary). Highly recommended - visiting this resort is a good excuse to spend a few nights in Ojai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the adult pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary and were not disappointed. An activity/experience coordinator contacted us within a couple days of booking our rooms. I let her know that we were staying there for our 5 year anniversary and she helped arrange appointments for the spa. In addition, she can coordinate other activities for you such as horse back riding, bike rides, hiking, etc...

The town of Ojai is small and very nice. Plenty little artsy shops to peruse. We spent a little bit of time in the town of Ojai and spent the rest of it at the resort.

The resort grounds are very beautiful and all framed with a backdrop of southern california mountains. From the moment we arrived, the resort staff were all very attentive and friendly which made it feel all the more special. Just about everything about the resort and spa are incredible. My wife and I had spa treatments and were very impressed with the quality of the professional staff and the treatments themselves (I would recommend making appointments well ahead of your stay).

There are several restaurants onsite (Maravilla, Oak Grill, Jimmy's Pub and small cafes). All are excellent should you decide to stay onsite for dinner. We had our anniversary dinner at the Maravilla and sat outside on the balcony. I would highly recommend and request ahead of time as there are only a handful of tables available on the balcony.

There are numerous pools that you can lounge at. We spent an afternoon relaxing at the outdoor spa pool. Again the poolstaff were excellent and were always available to bring us water and take orders for cocktails or food.

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend the Ojai Valley Resort and Spa for any special occasion. We were there for an anniversary but there are activities available for those with children as well that would be give you time to relax on your own. As with just about any resort I've stayed at (in the U.S.), it's not cheap and there are the usual markups you'd expect such as daily resort fees, pricey drinks/meals, etc... but they treat you very well here and it's a wonderful getaway.

Room Tip: Would love to choose something over looking the Mint Garden areas. That being said, I'm sure mo...
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

One of the best resorts. Excellent service and romantic atmosphere. Just outstanding service and ambiance. Took golf lessons and our coach, Lee, was outstanding. Highly recommend the neff room package. Very quaint rooms with all amenities. Bed was extremely comfortable, service outstanding. Had in room service which was punctual and excellent variety in menu items. Can't miss the bird, Casper. He was so fun to watch and speak with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've stayed 3 times in the past year, and have now booked several rooms for our 25th anniversary celebration in August. At every point but one we have had our expectations exceeded: friendly staff, beautiful rooms, dining and room service. The one exception are the phone systems, which seem to be a relic from about 1985, and while you can leave messages, they may not get delivered, so follow up!
But that is a really small thing, compared to how well-taken-care-of we feel when we arrive. The dining is a bit old-fashioned, as is the clientele (including me), so if you are looking for avant-guard cali cuisine, this shouldn't be your first choice. It's only delicious, well-prepared and served properly. For my wife and me, that's perfect.

Southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Returned to an old friend, the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa this week. As you pull into the tree lined entrance lane to the moment you leave, the Inn delivers a pure California experience with fantastic views, a wonderfully funky Old California architecture and delightful cuisine in a great setting.

This is a multi angle destination. If it's a couples weekend with spa and great hiking and dining, check. If it's family fun in a great setting, check. If it's a guys trip for golf and fun, check.

The rooms are well appointed, and all are with views. The original Inn has rooms at the top of a large hill, and more modern rooms are spread down along a steep hill overlooking the golf course. The hill side rooms are in a Spanish style stucco building that is a maze to work your way through. There are elevators to bring you up to the top level of the resort, but it does take some managing to maneuver around. While this could irritate some guests, on balance it's a minor issue, and the result of the layout is that every room has a great view, and most have private patios.

The restaurant is outstanding quality and value with a good wine selection. A classic dining experience is outside under the oak tree if the weather is permitting. A bottle of wine, dinner under the oak tree at sunset, and the world is indeed right.

There is a family pool and an adult only pool in separate locations, and a world class spa. The golf course is quirky and fun. Pebble Beach it's not, but you can have a fine test in a unique layout that used to play host to a pro seniors event back in the day.

Life is good up in the Ojai valley, and if you want to base somewhere to explore this unique niche of California, this is as good as it gets.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Santa Clarita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My first experience at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa was wonderful. My husband took me for my birthday. Second time around, when I brought my 80 yr. old mom . . . not so good . . . In fact, it was disastrous! We arrived at noon on a Sunday & tried to check in. We were told that we wouldn't be able to get a room for at least a couple of hours. I was told, however, that if I was willing to upgrade (an extra $100/night) that I could get a room sooner. I agreed to the upgrade but wanted to make sure that we were on a bottom floor (my mom can't do stairs). Not a problem they said. At 2:00 pm we came back and still the room wasn't ready. Did I mention that the lines to talk to the desk clerks were long and time consuming? We came back again at 3:00 thinking for sure that the room would be ready especially since we were told the "upgraded room" would be ready sooner than our original room, but "no" again. At 5 minutes to
4:00 (the guaranteed check-in time) we came back a 4th time after driving around Ojai for
literally hours, I was told that the room still wasn't ready. OMG! When I asked about this
upgraded room, I again mentioned that we needed to make sure that this room didn't involve
stairs . . . "oops, it does, let me give you this other upgraded room without stairs." I was beyond
frustrated at this point in time & told the desk clerk, Priscilla, that if I didn't have a key in my hand in 5 minutes that I was going to throw a fit. I was given a key. We went to the room & it had a single bed, instead of two beds I had previously reserved, Ugh! We packed the luggage back up & were sent to a new room. OMG! This one has stairs!! Not only that, the toilet was broken!!! I called the front desk and was put on hold, I kid you not, for 20 minutes!! At this point in time (it's now 5:30) I told Priscilla that I either want another new room or the toilet fixed ASAP! She said she would call me back once she figured it out . . . another half hour goes by. Really? I seriously cannot believe how bad we are being treated. I'm near tears & so frustrated about how everything is playing out. I eventually got the desk manager on the phone who immediately sent someone to fix the toilet. We're obviously not happy about the stairs (we'll be using room service more than planned, sadly), but we honestly can't take anymore ridiculousness! I'm still paying an extra $100 for this room, however the manager offered me a free drink & appetizer as compensation for the hassle. Totally not worth it! This place is expensive! I am not getting my money's worth. Sooooo disappointed! This was my Mother's Day present to my mom. This is not a 5 star hotel!! Views are lovely, rooms are big, but the service was so lacking, especially at the front desk. Never again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
OjaiResort, Front Office Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
On behalf of the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, I would like to apologize for the less than perfect experience you received- from your arrival process to the challenges you experienced with your room. We do try to honor early arrival requests when possible, and I am sorry we were unable to provide you with a room upon your arrival to the property. I assure you the issues you encountered are not indicative of our typical 5-diamond standard of service. I have addressed the issues with specific department managers to ensure these concerns do not occur in the future. We pride ourselves on delivering an uncompromising level of luxury and exemplary service to all of our guests.

Please respond to the private email I sent you, as I would like to discuss the remainder of your stay in person and hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your faith back in Ojai Valley Inn & Spa.

Dominic Donatoni
Rooms Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Throughout the years, we have visited the Ojai Valley Inn over and over again and I have to say that we have never been disappointed.

We just came back from a 2 night stay at the beginning of June, and just as expected, things were fabulous. We had 2 rooms which were extremely spacious and comfortable, overlooking the mountains and their Herb Garden. We had also booked through AMEX and had free breakfasts for everybody and the breakfasts were very good.

We had dinner one night at The Oak Grille and I have to say that the service our waiter provided was the best I had received anywhere in the world. I believe his name was Mark or Mike, but he was fantastic. They brought out our appetizer and he thought it was overcooked so he sent it back on our behalf. I didn't finish my Champagne and he asked whether there was a problem with it and I told him that there was not, it was just that I had a headache. He asked if he could send any Advil to the room. I said that would be great. When I got to the room, the Advil was already there! The attention to detail by him was above and beyond anything I have experienced before. The food was fantastic and the ambiance is just lovely.

We went with our four year old and he had a lovely time at the family pool, playing with the parrots and generally running around the well kept, beautiful property. And of course, between the spa and golf and tennis there is so much for the adults as well. Everywhere we went, we got smiles and great service.

I highly recommend renting a bike and taking the beautiful trail that leads directly from the resort into town and having lunch in town. It was just such a relaxing, fabulous trip.

There is a reason why we keep coming back here over and over again. They just don't disappoint.

I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!