“Can't wait to return” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ojai
Pasadena, California
“Can't wait to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've stayed 3 times in the past year, and have now booked several rooms for our 25th anniversary celebration in August. At every point but one we have had our expectations exceeded: friendly staff, beautiful rooms, dining and room service. The one exception are the phone systems, which seem to be a relic from about 1985, and while you can leave messages, they may not get delivered, so follow up!
But that is a really small thing, compared to how well-taken-care-of we feel when we arrive. The dining is a bit old-fashioned, as is the clientele (including me), so if you are looking for avant-guard cali cuisine, this shouldn't be your first choice. It's only delicious, well-prepared and served properly. For my wife and me, that's perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Returned to an old friend, the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa this week. As you pull into the tree lined entrance lane to the moment you leave, the Inn delivers a pure California experience with fantastic views, a wonderfully funky Old California architecture and delightful cuisine in a great setting.

This is a multi angle destination. If it's a couples weekend with spa and great hiking and dining, check. If it's family fun in a great setting, check. If it's a guys trip for golf and fun, check.

The rooms are well appointed, and all are with views. The original Inn has rooms at the top of a large hill, and more modern rooms are spread down along a steep hill overlooking the golf course. The hill side rooms are in a Spanish style stucco building that is a maze to work your way through. There are elevators to bring you up to the top level of the resort, but it does take some managing to maneuver around. While this could irritate some guests, on balance it's a minor issue, and the result of the layout is that every room has a great view, and most have private patios.

The restaurant is outstanding quality and value with a good wine selection. A classic dining experience is outside under the oak tree if the weather is permitting. A bottle of wine, dinner under the oak tree at sunset, and the world is indeed right.

There is a family pool and an adult only pool in separate locations, and a world class spa. The golf course is quirky and fun. Pebble Beach it's not, but you can have a fine test in a unique layout that used to play host to a pro seniors event back in the day.

Life is good up in the Ojai valley, and if you want to base somewhere to explore this unique niche of California, this is as good as it gets.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Santa Clarita
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My first experience at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa was wonderful. My husband took me for my birthday. Second time around, when I brought my 80 yr. old mom . . . not so good . . . In fact, it was disastrous! We arrived at noon on a Sunday & tried to check in. We were told that we wouldn't be able to get a room for at least a couple of hours. I was told, however, that if I was willing to upgrade (an extra $100/night) that I could get a room sooner. I agreed to the upgrade but wanted to make sure that we were on a bottom floor (my mom can't do stairs). Not a problem they said. At 2:00 pm we came back and still the room wasn't ready. Did I mention that the lines to talk to the desk clerks were long and time consuming? We came back again at 3:00 thinking for sure that the room would be ready especially since we were told the "upgraded room" would be ready sooner than our original room, but "no" again. At 5 minutes to
4:00 (the guaranteed check-in time) we came back a 4th time after driving around Ojai for
literally hours, I was told that the room still wasn't ready. OMG! When I asked about this
upgraded room, I again mentioned that we needed to make sure that this room didn't involve
stairs . . . "oops, it does, let me give you this other upgraded room without stairs." I was beyond
frustrated at this point in time & told the desk clerk, Priscilla, that if I didn't have a key in my hand in 5 minutes that I was going to throw a fit. I was given a key. We went to the room & it had a single bed, instead of two beds I had previously reserved, Ugh! We packed the luggage back up & were sent to a new room. OMG! This one has stairs!! Not only that, the toilet was broken!!! I called the front desk and was put on hold, I kid you not, for 20 minutes!! At this point in time (it's now 5:30) I told Priscilla that I either want another new room or the toilet fixed ASAP! She said she would call me back once she figured it out . . . another half hour goes by. Really? I seriously cannot believe how bad we are being treated. I'm near tears & so frustrated about how everything is playing out. I eventually got the desk manager on the phone who immediately sent someone to fix the toilet. We're obviously not happy about the stairs (we'll be using room service more than planned, sadly), but we honestly can't take anymore ridiculousness! I'm still paying an extra $100 for this room, however the manager offered me a free drink & appetizer as compensation for the hassle. Totally not worth it! This place is expensive! I am not getting my money's worth. Sooooo disappointed! This was my Mother's Day present to my mom. This is not a 5 star hotel!! Views are lovely, rooms are big, but the service was so lacking, especially at the front desk. Never again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
OjaiResort, Front Office Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
On behalf of the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, I would like to apologize for the less than perfect experience you received- from your arrival process to the challenges you experienced with your room. We do try to honor early arrival requests when possible, and I am sorry we were unable to provide you with a room upon your arrival to the property. I assure you the issues you encountered are not indicative of our typical 5-diamond standard of service. I have addressed the issues with specific department managers to ensure these concerns do not occur in the future. We pride ourselves on delivering an uncompromising level of luxury and exemplary service to all of our guests.

Please respond to the private email I sent you, as I would like to discuss the remainder of your stay in person and hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your faith back in Ojai Valley Inn & Spa.

Dominic Donatoni
Rooms Manager
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Throughout the years, we have visited the Ojai Valley Inn over and over again and I have to say that we have never been disappointed.

We just came back from a 2 night stay at the beginning of June, and just as expected, things were fabulous. We had 2 rooms which were extremely spacious and comfortable, overlooking the mountains and their Herb Garden. We had also booked through AMEX and had free breakfasts for everybody and the breakfasts were very good.

We had dinner one night at The Oak Grille and I have to say that the service our waiter provided was the best I had received anywhere in the world. I believe his name was Mark or Mike, but he was fantastic. They brought out our appetizer and he thought it was overcooked so he sent it back on our behalf. I didn't finish my Champagne and he asked whether there was a problem with it and I told him that there was not, it was just that I had a headache. He asked if he could send any Advil to the room. I said that would be great. When I got to the room, the Advil was already there! The attention to detail by him was above and beyond anything I have experienced before. The food was fantastic and the ambiance is just lovely.

We went with our four year old and he had a lovely time at the family pool, playing with the parrots and generally running around the well kept, beautiful property. And of course, between the spa and golf and tennis there is so much for the adults as well. Everywhere we went, we got smiles and great service.

I highly recommend renting a bike and taking the beautiful trail that leads directly from the resort into town and having lunch in town. It was just such a relaxing, fabulous trip.

There is a reason why we keep coming back here over and over again. They just don't disappoint.

I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there last week to celebrate my wife's birthday . We had never been ther before and hear so many good things about the resort that we wanted to give it a try. Everything we heard about the resort was true, but we figured out why. All the employees that work there are extremely happy with their employment. So many said, " Where could there be a better place to work". It showed from the bellhop , to the servers in the restaurant , to the masseuses in the spa. I had never found a resort where service was so consistent . So many also greeted my wife with a "Happy Birthday "

We will certainly be back, we only had one day and did not get a chance to play the golf course , which like everthing about the resort was in great condition .

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We wanted to get away for relaxation, but didn't want to travel to far. We live in Los Angeles and it only took 1 hour. We called the resort reservations and Donna helped us with a great deal, explaining everything and creating the perfect spa package for our 7 year anniversary. We stayed in a Fireplace Shangri-la room which was spacious, had a sitting area with comfy couches, two way desk, balcony that overlooked the golf course and canyon, double vanity with a sunken tub and separate shower. If that is what you want, get it. Next time, we will try one of the other Ojai rooms as we didn't need the fireplace and it seems those rooms are just as nice, but less expensive. You do get what you pay for. The spa is outstanding from the service, to the massage therapist (ask for Claudia) she does a deep deep tissue, and Lara for a facial. The spa is very clean, all the amenities you need, the cafe verde in the spa has refreshing food and smoothies and the boutique has the goodies to buy. My husband said the men's lounge in the spa wasn't as "luxurious" as the women's. The showers didn't all work with the three shower heads, and there weren't any quiet lounge areas in the men's lounge. In the co-ed lounge there are many places to lounge, but around the hour time is when it feels like a cattle call on Saturdays/Sundays. Then it clears out. The women's lounge was spacious, had many lounge areas and places to cat nap. When you check in, ask for a room with a view, high or low, but ask. The food was amazing and we ordered in room service! The mac n cheese truffle was to die for, as was the short ribs. You can't go wrong at this resort. Go!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view when checking in. Ask for a room with a separate tub and shower if that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have stayed here several times and generally had a great experience in the past. This time it was not up to their usual standards. We got a discounted rate from Living Social so we booked for two nights - Monday and Tuesday. We called in advance and told them we would be getting there early and asked if they could try to arrange an early check in and they said they would "try". They did not try and we didn't get our room until a little after 4 pm - disappointing. The facility and our room were both lovely. Very well appointed. The upscale dining room is closed Mon and Tues which was disappointing, and the herb garden restaurant which is suppose to be open daily was closed Tuesday as well. Ate breakfast in the Oak Grill - food and service were average. Had one dinner in Jimmy's Pub - limited menu, service was fair but food was fine. The golf course and golf staff were excellent. Great place for golf! The new adult pool is very nice but as it is very far from the kitchen, food service was slow. The bell staff was excellent - prompt and courtesy as was housekeeping.

As I was playing golf on Wednesday, we asked for a late check out - wanted 1:30pm, but got stonewalled by the front desk and they originally would not budge past 1 pm. We asked for the manager and suddenly we got 3 pm. Did not use the SPA this time. We would probably go back again, but they need to tighten up their service and policies. The staff was polite and tried to be helpful, but overall, it wasn't 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!