“Lovely setting” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Ojai
San Francisco, California
“Lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Inn has a stunning location. Our room in the original wing of the hotel build in the 1920s had a spectacular view of the gold course and surrounding wooded hills. We are not golfers, but the property has a spa, tennis courts, and other activities. Unfortunately, the town of Ojai can be walked in a few minutes and there is not that much to see. One downside to the Inn is its large footprint. It can be a bit of a hike from one facility to another, and without a map you can get lost. We solved the problem by hailing a bellman in one of the nearly ubiquitous golf carts and had him take us where we were going. Our room had the usual oddities associated with a nearly 100-year-old building, but I suspect the other, much newer, rooms would be more up to date. The Inn was renovated in 2004. We were warned by the reservations staff before booking that the building we selected was old, but friends had suggested it. We can recommend it too. It is centrally located on the property and has its own charm. Bottom line, this is a destination resort, if you are not looking for a self-contained vacation spot, this is probably not what you want. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of hiking or other local activities. There are 2 or three upscale restaurants in town, but not too many alternatives to the Inn’s own offerings.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

933 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Prairieville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The bell staff, housekeeping, front desk, & concierge were all absolutely wonderful. They all go out of their way to help you in any way they can. My room was absolutely gorgeous with 2 fireplaces. I will definitely return when I visit California in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My hubby and I just stayed here to celebrate my birthday. It is a beautiful resort. The rooms are big and have balconies. The pools are great. We especially liked the Spa pool since we didn't have our kids with us. All of the staff is great. They even sent me a cupcake for my birthday to our room. This resort was very relaxing for a couples only trip. it would also be great with kids. they have a family pool that has a small pool that is only 1 1/2 feet deep that would be perfect for our three year old. they also have dive in movies with popcorn some nights. The resort is pretty big and they will drive you around in golf carts. I can't wait to stay here again, maybe with the kids next time.

Room Tip: check out the resort and see what you want to be by to make sure you get a room close to it. the re...
Diamond Bar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just spent my anniversary weekend at the hotel. We were treated wonderfully by all of the staff. Despite our not having a luxury car, the valets were just as nice and helpful to us as to anyone else. The housekeeping staff took extra effort with our room, laying out our toiletries very neatly and efficiently on white towels. Upon entering the adult pool area, we were immediately met by staff who set up our lounges with towels and brought us ice water to drink. Later, I was brought complimentary frozen grapes. I truly felt pampered.

My one complaint is the food. I highly recommend eating meals offsite. The food is only average and very overpriced.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms require climbing a number of stairs. If this is a problem, be sure to ask for a r...
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed one night last weekend and had the best experience (under Neuharth). We were in California a week between Monterey and Santa Barbara and this was by far our favorite hotel (we even liked it better than the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara). We were just in Ojai for the one night as part of our vacation, and by the time we left we were thinking we wanted to change our destination wedding location to their wonderful resort.

When we were driving up, there were two valet gentleman waiting for us. I wish I could remember their names because they formed an outstanding first impression. One of them took us to our room on the golf cart and gave us a tour of the whole property. The Valet staff was awesome every encounter we had with them.

We ate at the Oak Grill, and Mark Flores was a great waiter. We really enjoyed him. Afterwards we wanted to check out their more formal restaurant. We told the hostess Keeley (sp?) that we just wanted to take a look, and that we had been so impressed with our stay so far that we were considering getting married there, so she in return offered us a tour of the entire restaurant and showed us the patio they use for receptions (Vista Patio), which I loved!! The restaurant was busy, so I thought it was impressive that she took the time to show us everything.

The location is beautiful. It sits in a valley, surrounded by mountains. It feels like you are in the countryside of Spain. It's quiet, and a great getaway from all the hustle of city living.

Our room was great (Shangri-La), overlooking the mountains/golf course. The view from our patio was lovely. The only thing I would suggest is re-tiling the bathroom shower. It looks a little drab compared to the rest of the room.

We ordered room service and it was wonderful as well. I can't say enough great things about this place, especially the service. The staff was wonderful, and I think that is what makes this place so special. Thanks Ojai Resort for being the highlight of our California vacation...

Michelle Mellema

newport coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A girlfriend of mine has celebrated her birthday here twice in a row, and last year when I visited Ojai for her birthday, I was underwhelmed by the resort...THIS year it was a totally different experience! The resort made an effort to put our three rooms together, so that our patios were right next to each other, which made it such a fun experience. They also gave us rooms which looked out onto the golf course. These rooms were great. They had an amazing view and we had total privacy! I will be requesting the same rooms the next time, as they were easily accessed, and close to the spa. We also rented bikes (pedal assist), and had a guide take us to Lake Cassita, where we had a picnic lunch, supplied by the bike rental company. It was so much fun, especially using the pedal assist feature on the hills! We also did the spa, which is really lovely. My deep tissue massage was ohhhhh so great, as was my facial. Kudos to Ojai for turning my opinion around 180! I'll be back again with my hubby, as long as I get the same room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course. These rooms are in a building with only one floor, so they f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I had no idea what to expect. We are both in education and happened to have the same week off for spring break. I searched the web and came across this gem!!! We experienced two days of relaxation, superb accommodations with an amazing staff from the bell hop to the servers at ALL restaurants on the premises. Our room had a romantic fireplace and and equally jaw dropping view... I recommend the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa for anyone seeking a getaway from all the hustle and bustle of the city :) Enjoy!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!