“Great birthday getaway with the husband!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Summer Midweek Escape
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“Great birthday getaway with the husband!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Let me start by saying that the ONLY reason I was able to come here was thanks to a sniqueaway coupon -- made it MUCH more affordable. The property, the staff and the rooms are all exquisite -- top of the line. The backdrop of Ojai makes it even better (even on a rainy weekend like we had). Shopping in the downtown stretch is super cute. Highly recommend grabbing a glass of wine at Barrel 33 -- cute, cozy little place!

You should know that EVERYTHING at the hotel is top of the line, and with that comes a high price tag. If you're worrying about spending too much money for a weekend getaway, this probably won't be the most relaxing place for you (since all you'll be thinking of is how much everything costs). If, however, you go into it knowing you're going to drop some money, it makes it a little less stressful and you really do soak in the relaxing vibes this place has to offer. I do have to admit that we didn't get any spa treatment (because of the cost), but most people that are here can afford to drop the money on treatments. I can get those treatments for half the cost in LA, so I had a tough time rationalizing spending that kind of money. We did walk into the spa, and I can see why this place gets rave reviews -- the place looked amazing. I should also note that we saw a LOT of girls' weekend getaway trips. Not a bad idea if you have money!!

I'd love to come back in the summer and enjoy the pool areas. It was rainy the whole time we were there and I STILL enjoyed every minute of it. Beds were AMAZINGLY comfortable and the chocolate chip cookie ice cream dessert was unreal (talk about a birthday treat!).

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and it was a little bit loud because everything bounced off the walls...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

915 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Everything from the impeccable service to my cozy room, the delightful spa treatments, my hike up to Nordoff Peak, and the weather, was perfect. I love to treat myself to a few truffle potato chips in the Bar and Grill after a day of exercise and fresh air. Save your
money and treat yourself because it's worth it!

Room Tip: Let them know you want the quietest room that you can get.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Carmel Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

$$$$, Pricey but service was worth all the built in gratuities, I guess. Really enjoyed the little town of Ojai, too.
Went to spa, 50 min massage was fair even though there was a fireplace in the room! Enjoyed 2 hour.horseback more. Checked out Thanksgiving day and the place turned into a Zoo...all kinds of people, kids,dogs,golfers everywhere! So glad I was there before so many others arrived! Long drive home for me!

• Stayed November 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We enjoyed a delightful family weekend at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. Our stay started with a helpful and friendly front desk and valet service. The room was clean and decoratively furnished. The large balcony, with table, chairs, umbrella, and long couch was especially relaxing. The balcony provided a panoramic view over the herb garden and driving range, as well as the architecturally beautiful buildings.

The grounds are inviting and beautiful. There is no need to leave the property! We spent time at the family pool, as well as the adults-only Herb Garden pool. Both are well maintained, well staffed, and comfortable. There are a number of family-friendly activities offered at the Inn. You can refer to the daily schedule delivered to your room, or inquire with the staff.

Really, only good to say about our experience. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If traveling with small children, ask for a room on the bottom floor. This is generally a serene pl...
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This place is beautiful. My husband played golf and said the course was beautiful and challenging. I had a spa day and it was wonderful. I'm usually not easy to pleased in a spa but every service I experience was perfect. I did find the food a bit over priced and I can't tell you that it was great but it was good enough. If you want a place to chill and get away this is definitely it. Will be back. Hopefully soon. Loved the place.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'll start by saying that the resort was absolutely beautiful. The room was one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in; one of the top 3 for sure. I travel a whole lot! The front desk was great and the bell desk / valet guys were great. I also want to call out Bree (front desk), Cynthia (housekeeping), KC (Food and Bev.), and KC's boss (forgot her name; sorry!) who seemed to practically live there as they worked so much. They were all very nice and really understood customer service.

The bad ranged from bad to so-so. The so-so was that there were ants in our bathroom, the crib we ordered was too deep, and the shower had a slow drain. Truth be told we didn't complain about the ants and the drain so I really can't insist that they didn't take care of it. Although I do feel that it should have been looked after before we got there. The crib was so deep that I can barely pick up my daughter. My wife couldn't at all safely. The staff was able to fix the issue for us by getting us a different crib that was not as deep.

The bad was with a few items.

We had issues with the pillows. We had requested foam type pillows but seemed to get the fluffy type cotton filled pillows. We had difficulty distinguishing those from feather pillows and both were very uncomfortable. After asking for the firmer type twice, we just assumed they didn't have them as a choice.

The in room coffee station was never cleaned (cups) and refilled without calling about it. The worst was the resort dining. We dinned at Maravilla, Oak Grill, and Café Verde. All three were extremely overpriced. Maravilla and Oak Grill service were all very slow and food was just average.

Maravilla Thanksgiving dinner was completely insulting. Since food took so long our waitress apologized for the wait as "there was a large table being served." The meal was a very small portion (child size) for $65pp. In fact, my son had what was supposedly a smaller version of the same dinner; it was exactly the same size as mine except for one extra small slice of turkey. His dinner was $20. KC did come by and gave us my son's meal and our breakfast for free the next day.

Oak Grill food was average and our waiters seemed inexperienced. Dinner the first night was just ok. The waiter helpers were outstanding on Wednesday (Oak Grill) and Thursday (Maravilla) nights. We actually had the same girl on both nights. However, there was one additional helper on Wednesday night. We had breakfast there 3 times. The first day we had breakfast it was funny in a way. I selected the breakfast and my wife ordered from the menu. The 2 tables sitting next to us order from the menu like my wife. They were all staring at me as I ate from the buffet. The other 2 tables waited at least 20 minutes before an order was taken. On the last day the hostess (older lady) seemed pretty stressed out and was very short with us. I didn't even see the waitress on the last day we had breakfast until we were leaving. The omelet bar was interesting. I requested a Denver Omelet at which the "cook" asked that I just put all my ingredience in a small bowl and that he didn't know what was in a Denver omelet. It seemed that he didn't really know how to cook a proper omelet after seeing him cook my food. I also recall seeing a staff member fill the warmed pancake syrup with a bottle of off the shelf cold syrup. If I recall the buffet was $29pp and like I said was just average.

I only had one item at Café Verde. I had the chocolate - banana smoothie. It was actually Hershey's chocolate syrup, yogurt, a banana, and ice (skipped on the nut butter). I think it was about 12 oz... all for $10. I probably would have thought twice about it had I seen the price listed on the menu above the register. I will say it was good but $10? Really???

All in all, the place is so beautiful that it's easy to overlook the bad. Particularly since there are lots of great places to eat in town (less than 5 minutes away, driving). My list is: Breakfast - Emporium, lunch - too many to list, and dinner - Osteria Monte Grappa (first choice and has an awesome patio in back for lunch) and Suzanne's (second choice). I absolutely don't mind dropping serious money on dining but it better be really good. The resort is not there yet. Interestingly enough, I asked several locals in town about the resort's food. They all said that the dining used to be the best about 15 yrs ago and that it has really gone down hill in the last 10 yrs.

As far as my individual ratings...

Service is a 3 is mostly for dining but also the aforementioned coffee station complaint. Would be a 4 if dining were fixed. For a place like that, it has to be top notch.

Value is a 5 as the place is gorgeous and the staff pleasant... even the troubled dining area was really beautiful.

Sleep quality is a 4 but could easily be a 5 with firm, foam pillows.

Cleanliness is a 4 but could easily be a 5 if the few ants and the coffee station was given more attention.

Location, Rooms, and the Spa are all a 5. Spectacular, relaxing, beautiful...

Breakfast is a 3. I would pair breakfast with any dining on that rating. It needs to mirror the location. This means being an unparalleled dining experience and particularly for the price. I for one will be dining at the local Ojai joints when returning to the Inn. IMO, at a minimum the staff needs to be trained properly; wait staff to cooks.

Yes, I will be back (in a month) and would recommend it to anyone.... but for the most part beware of the dining on property.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with the rooms. I prefer rooms that are higher up so I don't have to wal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Valencia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Probably one of the most beautiful and relaxing destinations I've ever been to. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. The property is immaculate and tranquil.
There is no need to leave the property...lots of restaurant choices and activities from spas, pools, golf, art classes, nature walks, etc. a perfect getaway!

Room Tip: Lots of accommodation choices. This is a dog friendly property so note that when you book your room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!