“Nice Getaway...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
California
“Nice Getaway...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

My friends and I (2 families with 2 infants) spent part of a weekend at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. We were checking out the Inn for a future group event. We had a really pleasant stay and will definitely consider returning. I found this resort to be quite similar in layout and style to the La Quinta Resort (near palm springs) and I was finding myself often comparing the two.
Check In: We pulled up to the valet and checked in. Check-in took less than 5 mins. We had called ahead to request adjoining rooms and all was arranged without a hitch. We were told that the rooms (Los Padres section) were quite a ways and we could either valet the cars near the lobby or parked closer to the rooms. We found out that either way, our car would be a distant from our rooms. This is one of my biggest complaints. There are 2 main parking lots in the whole resort and you could either take a nice stroll to your room (difficult with luggage because there is not loading area) or ask the bellman to bring the golf cart to your car. It wasn't a big deal, but a hassle none the less.

Rooms: We loved the rooms. They were a good size (king room had a couch) and had plenty of space. We loved the fact that they had adjoining rooms, separated by an entry way that lead to the outside. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom spacious. We had also requested cribs for our babies. To our surprise, we found beautiful wooden (sturdy) cribs complete with bedding for our babies. I have never seen such nice cribs at a resort (not even the Ritz). Plus they included baby produces like: Johnson&Johnson lotions, shampoo, soap, and Desitin for us (perfect because we forgot to bring those items). Also, the rooms were very quiet. Actually the whole resort was very quiet/peaceful.

Amenities: I couldn't get the wi-fi ($10) to work in our room. We asked for a fridge ($15/night) and that was brought right away. Nice bath products in the bathroom.

Spa/Pool: The women enjoyed the spa treatment. My wife still ranks the Montage (in OC) as #1 for service and facility. She thought the service was nice (not spectacular) but the facility was a tad old and small. There are 4-5 pools spread throughout the resort, with only one being kid friendly. Once again, the main pool was a pretty decent hike from our room and would probably require a golf cart ride. Unfortunately the weather was on the cool side and we did not get to use the facilities.

Restaurant: We had dinner at the Marivella. Cocktails were great (expect resort prices ie. $15 for martini) and they had a nice selection of wine. Dinner was Avg-good (depending on who you asked). I thought that the appetizer was on the small side but enjoyed my rib-eye. One hiccup occurred when the waiter knocked over a glass of beer all over our friend. He was apologetic but never informed the manager (would seem to be automatic at a 5 star resort). Her dress and bagged were soaked and we only got another glass of beer as compensation. I had to bring it up to the manager who was apologetic, but that was it. We stopped by Jimmy's (Pub) briefly and they seemed to have a great menu selection. We attended the Mother's Brunch which was fabulous but was the most expensive brunch buffet that I have ever had ($75). Apparently they only offer that type of brunch buffet 4 times a year.

Golf: Great/casual driving range and practice facilities. The coarse was in great condition (great greens) and was empty. Maybe because we teed off at 7:10am. However, for being a 5 diamond resort, I thought they were lacking some things. There was no GPS on the cart. There were no coolers attached to the carts. At other resorts, they offer bottled water, I saw none offered. They did offer red apples at the first hole. However, when we returned, we saw a coffee and juice station at the Pro Shop. I may be just picky, but for $180 a round, you should be able to expect some perks.

Service: Between my friends and I, there was a disagreement regarding the service. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars and where he gave it 3 out of 5. He stated that he expected more out of a "5 Diamond" resort (workers could have been more attentive). I thought everyone was friendly and more than helpful. But our waiters did appear slow to clear out buffet plates and refill out drinks (could be expected when you shell out $75 per person).

All in all, we had a great time. The resort is geared towards family and they were more than accommodating. This resort is not for the budget-minded family. I would definitely give it a 4.5 diamond rating

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

We stayed again at the Resort the past few days and from top to bottom was outstanding, the service, grounds and rooms where first class. We played golf, the grounds and views from the course made a bad round seem like paradise, the Spa is the best I've been at for both facilitiy and service. It was the best massage I've received for along time, the Spa cafe had a fresh menu that was light. That night we ate in the main restaurant called Maravilla and the Prime Rib had the great favor, service was crisp and couldn't have been more friendly. The room was had great space and a nice fireplace to set the mood, we enjoyed a beer at Jimmys and then sat around a firepit enjoying the night sky. Overall its was agin the best getaway at a very affordable price, I will keep coming back.

Room Tip: Most rooms have views but get one with a fireplac.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

You think when spending this amount of money per night that a couple things will be included or not so jaw-droppingly expensive. But no, not here. Get ready to pay $10 per night per device for wi-fi, $4 for an 8 oz fountain drink (no refills), $17 for a basic burger/fries, and $25 for continental breakfast. Yikes.

Also, the spa has "gone green" which means no spa menus at the front desk or in your room, and no one can tell you what they offer or what it costs. You have to call a spa number and wait on hold or walk down to the spa (and they'll give you a paper menu). Fortunately the walk is pleasant.

We booked through Expedia to take advantage of a buy 2 nights, get 1 free special, and I think they knew we didn't pay full price for the room (shame on them for having the special and not treating us like full paying guests—it's not our fault) so they put us in a room right next to the kitchen and public restrooms. The walls are thin so we could hear everyone's conversation who walked by. I walked around and the other rooms were facing lovely courtyards and beautiful grounds. Also, our balcony was covered with what looked like long toenails, that were actually the fraying wicker furniture. It was swept up when asked, but not so a dead snail—it was there our whole visit. Not very resort or posh.

The room was comfortable but basic and rustic. Definitely not worth the price we paid even with the free night. Didn't feel resort or luxurious. The beds were super comfy though.

Room Tip: We didn't get a good room :-(
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011 via mobile

A gorgeous spot. Beautiful locale, lovely large rooms, great golf course, delicious food, and easy access to the town of Ojai.

• Stayed April 2011
Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

A lovely setting for relaxation. We try to make this a yearly visit with a group of long-time friends. It is our special place to catch up with each other and enjoy the spa, restaurants and the Pink Moments of a lovely cocktail on the patio.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stay here several times of the year including every year for the 4th of july weekend.
We live in Los Angeles and usually I drive up with the children while my husband rides his bicicyle and joins us there.
This hotel is beautiful and serene..(you get releaxed from the lavender planted all around), the staff is very nice and welcoming.. the atmospher is relaxing. Your biggets stress here is which pool to choose from! all of them are nice. If you are with children there is the family pool and if you want something more relaxing and quiet you can choose from the pool by the spa (there is a lap pool there also) or enjoy the new pool they just built last year.
The spa is nice and clean...
the food in all of the restaurants are fresh and delicious.
Every year there they have a very beautiful fireworks in ojai which you can watch from the vast golf course. The hotel provides you with picnic blankets.. you can just sit under the stars and enjoy the fireworks alongside everyone.
My husband always tells me not to tell anyone how great this place is so it doesnt get too crowded. But ojai valley inn deserves all of the goood reviews they get.

Room Tip: sign up for the hotel newsletter
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Paso Robles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is a beautiful Inn and the grounds couldn't be more lovely. I wish the rooms would have been more luxurious,,,they are very average and almost spartan. Loved the spa,,,,the highlight of the trip and perfect for a girls getaway,,you could spend all day there!! Enjoy using their bikes and riding to town. Service was very gracious.

Stayed May 2010

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!