“A honeymoon ruined” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“A honeymoon ruined”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Oh, how we regret not lisening to the bad reviews posted here! Instead we focused on the good reviews and decided to spend our honeymoon at the Ojai Valley Inn, even though the rooms are pricey. We booked a $500 room for three nights. As soon as we arrived we were struck by the less-than-gracious attitude of the check-in staff, who didn’t seem to care much whether we were there or not. The room itself was spacious but nothing special – in fact, the bathroom was tiny and very average (including the tacky shower curtain). Minutes after our arrival we were struck by the complete lack of serenity of our room– we could hear everything outside the doors as well as every step taken by the people in the room above us. We called the front desk and asked to be moved and, to their credit, they upgraded us to a $600-per-night room. However, the new room was actually smaller and had the same noise problems (though not quite as loud). We couldn’t figure out why it was $100 per more, except that it had a gas fireplace. We could still hear everything that the people in the room above us were doing. (We were later told that our first room was in the “original” building, which is notoriously loud – apparently they didn’t see fit to rectify this problem when they “renovated.”) Both rooms were a far cry from the “luxury accommodations” they advertise.

You’d think that a $600-per-night room would come with its own private balcony or patio, but nope. We shared a “porch” with four other rooms. No privacy there. You’d also think that a $600-per-night room would come with complimentary spa access. Nope. The same daily fee applied for using the spa, which in itself was a huge disappointment. It’s very small, with no private areas. I had just visited two other hotel spas – at the Bellagio and the Houstonian – where there were several jacuzzi’s, private meditation rooms, gracious staff, and fresh fruit and coffee available. The Ojai Valley Inn had none of these things, which was surprising considering it is advertised as “a luxury spa experience.” (There are 2 very small jacuzzi’s that are surrounded by chairs with women lounging on them – precluding any semblance of privacy for those who prefer to not wear a swimsuit.) On top of that, they charge exorbitant prices for their treatments. I could deal with that if the facilities themselves were spectacular, but like I said, they were far from it, which led me to believe that the treatments were likely not very special either.

These things were all very disappointing, but we thought we’d still make the best of it and get a couple of bikes that they have available for resort guests so we could spend the day riding the beautiful bike paths. You’d think that with a $600 per night room there might be some kind of system for reserving bikes ahead of time – perhaps also for selecting ones that are the right size -- but nope. It’s first-come, first-served for the mere dozen or so bikes available, and they go fast. We rushed to grab two bikes when we saw that there were only a few left and other guests were behind us to check out bikes too. But as soon as we got them, we were shocked by their dilapidated condition – they were old and rusted, with baskets that are broken and black with mold. They were in such bad shape that they were difficult to ride, and we gave up after about an hour because it just wasn’t fun. You’d think they could spring a few thousand dollars for some decent bikes (and more of them!), especially since they advertise biking down the beautiful Ojai bike paths as one of the “activities” at the resort.

One final note of insult added to injury. My husband had called ahead of time to let them know that we’d be on our honeymoon and to ask if they could do something special. Their response was, “oh, we have something VERY special planned for you.” We waited and waited for this “very special” thing that was coming. Finally, by the end of our stay, we finally realized that they either forgot or just didn’t care. You’d think that they would want to do something for guests who pay $500 per night to spend their honeymoon at their resort – even if it’s just a bottle of champagne or fruit basket -- but nope. Nothing.

We've stayed in Ojai before, and we love it there. But on this trip we spent the whole time trying to figure out what we were missing that would make this "resort" worth the $500 per night that we were paying – and what could make anyone call this a five-diamond resort -- but we couldn’t figure it out. We finally realized the simple truth: we were getting ripped off. Our honeymoon was virtually ruined, and we couldn’t wait to get home. We so regret not spending it at one of the other luxury hotels we were considering. I hope that you readers will learn from our experience and not waste your money on this ridiculously overpriced and overrated place.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Fullerton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Excellent and over the top accomodiation. My husband and I stayed here for two days. We were attending a friend's wedding at a nearby lodge. We paid extra for an upgrade from regular Shagri room to a suite with a fireplace. It was so worth it. The room is huge and the service is over the top. Whenever we requested for something our requests were meet within only a few minutes. We have stayed at other first class hotels before but this one is truely the best and is really a first class all the way. We will return with our children next time. It is spectacular and again everything was perfect. Thank you Ojai Valley Inn and Spa for making our weekend a truely memorable experience.

Stayed September 2007
bxl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Everything in this hotel is just perfect.

• Liked — great place, quiet, beautiful gardens, great breakfast
  • Disliked — everything is perfect
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

If you are not too sure whether to book here or not, DO! I am still amazed at what a lovely piece of paradise we found for 3 nights. The setting, ambiance and helpful, kind staff made this experience what it is! Top notch fitness facilites and the pool are areas to die for. If you want to be spolied, you must stay at Ojai.

• Liked — The balcony setting and the desgin, cleanliness of the room, attention to detail was excellent
  • Disliked — Nowt
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked - as we got a 'regular' room but - WOW! When I think 5 star - this is it. The room was huge! Luxurious bedding, soft bed - huge tub, separate shower. The bathroom area was half the room. There were chairs and table outside the room to sit and look at the hills - I thought - no way do I sit outside a room but - again - incredible views, quiet - beautiful. The grounds were incredibly landscaped with flowering plants, meticulously maintained. We had spa treatments and they were very good. I had a scrub and my husband a 'deep tissue' massage. He said his was great - usually he's just so-so when it comes to spa stuff. The scrub was just right - not to rough - not too soft - got all that dead skin off and rubbed with oil/lotion. The food/restaurants were delicious and reasonable. I would absolutely go again - peaceful and relaxing. There's not much to do in town - so plan a romantic time and stay with your significant other. Oh - I had a conference here which left my husband with nothing to do in the mornings - but he did the nature walk, the hike and a couple of the yoga/exercise classes and he had a great time. There is a lot to do at the resort. Very nice toiletries too - spa quality shampoo/lotions, etc. We paid less here than at the B&B we stayed at in Santa Barbara thinking the Santa Barbara B&B would be better. HAHAHAH - we should've stayed here the entire time. (We stayed 3 nights).

• Liked — Incredible bed - soft, luxurious!
  • Disliked — It was absolutely great - all of it (truly rare occurrence these days!)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed at the Ojai Valley Inn for just one night as part of a work retreat, and am so disappointed I didn't have the foresight to stay the weekend as well. The weather and grounds were gorgeous. The spa facilities and treatment were great. My room was tranquil, clean, and luxurious in a Pierre Deux kind of way (French Country). I don't golf, so I can't comment on that part of the stay, but my coworkers seemed to enjoy themselves. All in all, I can't wait for the chance to go back to the Ojai Valley Inn.

• Liked — The gorgeous setting and accommodations
  • Disliked — That I was there for work :)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

We just returned from a seven night stay at Ojai Valley Inn. We were pleasantly suprised at check-in with a one category room upgrade to a fireplace mini-suite. The room was lovely with a huge walk-in closet and beautiful decor. We had a large private patio with a view. The staff went out of their way to make the week special. Always offering bottled water at the valet and the workout room. There were special touches at the spa pool with "cabana boys" covering the chairs for you with terry cloth upon your arrival. Pool service was great.

There is so much to do there and the resort offers some great "values". They offer a golf clinic daily for one hour for $10 per person. The instructors were great and one day my husband and I had him all to ourselves for a pitching/chipping lesson. Access to the spa pools and workout room are free as well as free fitness classes. Some resorts nickel and dime you for everything and I loved that this one did not. They have free tennis clinics several times a week. We played golf one day and the course is very nice. I rode horses two days and the wranglers were great too. They have picnic service through room service and we had a picnic delivered to the herb garden one day. It was really nice to have them arrive and spread out the table cloth on the table and serve us. The picnic arrived without plates and when my husband let the management team know that, they sent a complimentary cheese tray to our room that evening.

We both had two massages and we were happy with the spa. The wet areas are nice, but probably not the nicest I have ever seen. The complimetary yoga was fantastic and I took several of their morning walks.

The only glitch we had was that we had agreed by phone ahead of time on a nightly rate and I had trouble getting a confirmation for the appropriate amount. I talked to a management person before we arrived and I was assured that our agreed upon rate of $390 a night for a Shangri-La with fireplace would be honored all seven nights. Upon check out we discovered that we were being charged more. I had not kept the management persons name, but upon alerting the desk that the rate was not the "agreed to" rate, she checked with her manager and they gladly honored it.

Overall, I am in love with this resort. There is so much to do at the resort and even though the rooms are expensive, they do provide value with all of the extras. I have travelled all over the world and stayed at many five star hotels, and I would rank this at the top. The setting, service, room, and amenities make this hotel a great value. The town of Ojai also has amazing charm and we ate in town several times.

• Liked — Variety of activities offered at the resort
  • Disliked — Loved everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!