“a VERY cool way to re-group, re-energize and get healthy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Oaks at Ojai

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojai
The Oaks at Ojai
122 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Mililani, Hawaii
“a VERY cool way to re-group, re-energize and get healthy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I spent 7 days recently at the Oaks.. I have been researching facilitlies of this kind for awhile, a place where fitness and diet are the focus. One also in a nice environment and affordable were 2 of my other main criteria for this venture. I LOVED the oaks! It was definetely one of the most affordable spa/resorts of its kind that i found. It was like camp for women! We were all on a 1200 calorie a day food plan, I wont even say diet because the food was delicious! i would say i ended up loving at least 90% of what was served. And there were always alternate options if you didnt like what was on the menu..but i never opted for that. Every morning offered 3 hikes of varying levels of fitness, then a full schedule of exercise classes all day! Everything from zumba to bootcamp classes all taught by very cool instructors.
I went alone and chose to have a roommate. This could have been a scary proposition, but was just fine.. my roommate was close in age to me, and we got alot just fine..in fact i made a new friend.
The facility is definitely no frills, but all very clean and efficient. This is probably part of why the cost is affordable. I was very impressed by the constant efforts to recycle and stay green, they recommended writing your name on your plastic cups, and using the same towel for the day etc.. i appreciate these efforts. Shelia the owner was on site almost every day, she is amazing! almost 80 and still teaching classes and mingling with her guests constantly!
Im an avid exerciser, but tried many forms of new exercise and loved that!
Most of the women have been coming there for years and i will become one of them.. i cant wait to go back next year!

Room Tip: the rooms on the street side have balcony's but it can be alittle loud.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I grew up in this lovely town and came back to visit with my boyfriend. We arranged to stay at The Oaks and when we let Peter the General Manager know we worked in hospitality in NYC and we shared a few laughs about our industry. We had a fireplace and a patio and even a private place to lay out in the sun. The suite was as large as our apartment in the New York City area. The front desk staff had all our paper work waiting for us as we came into the hotel fairly late. The service from our housekeeper, the cooks, front desk, and management was spotless. We enjoyed staying in for one of the evening programs and appreciate how relaxed the atmosphere of the Oaks is for the guests. It was affordable, low key and in a beautiful setting. We will certainly be seeing you Maria, Oatley, Maura and all those we missed this time around.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My sister and I live on opposite sides of the continent. In January 2013 we got together at The Oaks at Ojai for the Yoga/Tai Chi/QiGong/Pilates week. We stayed in a regular double room on the second floor. Everything was perfect! We loved our room. Even though I normally take baths, the shower-only bathroom was so nice I truly found it no hardship. I worried that the super-healthy diet would taste like straw and leave me starving but in fact the meals were delicious and satisfying. The special class schedule for this week was packed with fun interesting classes that were not too demanding for me (age 64) and also lots of more challenging ones for my more fit younger sister. Some of the instructors were not so young they might as well have come from another planet, and their fitness was inspiring rather than discouraging. I particularly liked starting every day with the Brisk Morning Walk. When we were not participating in a scheduled activity, my sister and I spent many hours strolling, shopping, and snacking our way around the charming town, which was easy because you stepped right out the front door of the hotel onto the main street. I have researched alternatives, and have found nowhere else that offers such a perfect program at any price - and many of them cost double or more. I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Where do I begin? When I arrived the illuminated water fountain beckoned me in. The night staff greeted me with kindness and professionalism. My suite was adorable, and the hot tub was sooo relaxing. The first day I took the brisk walk with a guide. The second day I took the hour-long walk. Healthy meals and snacks are offered all day. Meals easily can be altered for those with special needs. I got a hair cut in the salon, and the cut is perfect for me. The mind/body class taught by the owner Sheila Cluff was informative and inspiring. There is free wireless internet if you need it. I'm told the outdoor pool with gorgeous mountain views is heated, but I never got a chance to use it. I introduced myself to other guests from California and other states. We reveled in our differences and commonalities. We shared stories of how to get healthy. I met many ladies who are repeat customers of the spa, some of whom even get to choose the same room!

Room Tip: A suite offers more privacy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I spent seven fabulous, luxurious, fun filled days and nights at the Oaks. Words cannot express the beauty of the surrounding scenery. Majestic pink mountains tower in the background. The foliage is beautifully kept and abundant throughout the grounds. I was fortunate to have a large, private room on the corner, first floor, with widows that opened to the pool area. It was quite a treat to have a much needed massage then simply walk across the hall to my room to retire. (They schedule spa services as late as 10:30). My facial was done by Jan, and she was marvelous! My skin was so smooth and soft, more even. My Brazilian blowout, which I love, was done by Danielle. It was my first trip alone, and I never felt lonely. The staff, fellow travelers and townspeople were more than friendly. It was such a privilege meeting so many interesting and lovely people. The fitness classes were varied and a great sampling of workouts are ideal for someone looking for their niche. I'm already planning to return annually, as I feel the Oaks is a wonderful investment in my future. I'm ten pounds lighter and feeling better than ever! Thank you to the exceptional staff at the Oaks for an amazing week! This mama needed it!

Room Tip: Room 117 was on the corner, near the pools.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Although the nightly rates were high in my opinion, I had to consider what the cost included. For the weeknight rate, in a small room, the $200 a night included three healthy meals, several healthy snacks, a plethora of exercise classes (including some in the pool), exercise equipment outside of the group exercise room, hot tub--sauna--and steam room facilities, lectures, movies, guided hikes & walks, and probably something else I'm forgetting. It was a totally all inclusive experience.

Spa services cost extra. We had the Sea C Facial. The aesthetician, Jan Cohen, was beyond compare. This was absolutely the best facial I've ever had. Jan was a true master at her craft, pleasant but not gabby. I went into the facial room with a set amount in mind to tip. Jan was so exceptional, that I raised that amount not once, but twice. By the time she was done I had decided to give her nearly double my original amount. The facial itself cost $135 for 75 minutes, so you better believe I thought she was gave an extraordinary facial, to tack a big tip on top of that.

One of the lectures we enjoyed the most was by the make up representative, Linda W. She gave a fascinating and practical demonstration one afternoon, and we eagerly booked appointments to see her in the salon the next day. She was the nicest person, and showed us how to easily make our skin and eyes look so good, without alot of fuss. Who knew beauty could be so accessible?

The staff in the dining room attends your every need, and most promptly. The food is surprisingly tasty for being so healthy! I think the diet is set for 1,000 calories a day.

All of the exercise instructors are fun and fabulous. We had a good time in every class we attended.

If you go during your birthday month, you get half off the second night. That's nothing to sneeze at.

The lovely little town of Ojai is a California gem, but I won't expand on that here. The guests we spoke to were from California, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. I'm sure there were other states represented as well.

This is a great spot for a completely relaxing getaway. If you look at the cost of similar spas, you'll see the Oaks really gives you bang for your buck.

• Stayed March 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Oaks is good for me on so many different levels: first, I get to talk to grownups who are intelligent. Many of the women I have met there are teachers or former teachers, and I find their company enlightening and funny. This trip we met a lot of great women and they almost all had interesting and some very comical things to say. One woman made me laugh so hard at dinner it made my abs hurt. My abs had suffered through abs lab class the day before, so they were sore to begin with. It felt like laughing and moaning at the same time. Another woman was making us all hoot at dinner and tears were coming out of our eyes because we laughed so hard. Second, the Oaks is good for me because I get active and see that I do not have to be such a slug at home. The food is also inspiring, because it tastes good and is prepared well, so it makes eating healthy more probable. I have two of The Oaks cookbooks at home so I got them out today when I got home and started preparing my own spa food.

I love the Oaks too because they do what they can to make it affordable. Almost everyone there realizes what a great deal it is to go there and get a nice room, all the fitness classes you could want to take, plus three meals a day for a very reasonable fee. Notice I say almost everyone. There are whiners. I have learned to stay far away from them. Yes, people who go to the Oaks and whine are likely to find themselves eating alone and not sharing in the general conviviality of the place.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are in the upstairs or in the cottages in the back of the property. They cost mo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Oaks at Ojai? Share your experiences!