“Mother/daughter weekend at the Oaks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Oaks at Ojai

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojai
The Oaks at Ojai
122 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023   |
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Pasadena, California
“Mother/daughter weekend at the Oaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I met a few days ago at the Oaks for a short get-together and jump start on a fitness routine. This was part of the Oaks mother/daughter September days - they offer two more mother/daughter sessions in January and May each year. This was our first time at the Oaks but I gather that because of all the daughters there this week (there were lots that I saw, ranging in age from 18 to 50) the average age of the attendees is younger and the athletic challenge of the classes and hikes is higher than usual. So if you want vigorous activity, this would be a good week to attend even if you don't have either a mother or daughter to accompany you.

If you don't have a mother or daughter or friend to go with, don't be worried about going to the Oaks alone. The other clients there were very friendly and always welcomed others to join them at their meal table or socializing.

My daughter and I shared an Intermediate Double room in the main hotel. It is one of their less expensive rooms but was adequate for us. The hotel building is very old (I think built in 1918) but appears to have been renovated very recently. Everything in our room was quite new looking with the exception of the bathtub and the shower plumbing which did not work very well. While they were doing the renovation, they should also have renovated the showers. The windows were brand new and worked well. There was a modern air- conditioner in the room that worked very well. Unfortunately, there were no screens on the balcony doors and my daughter got a couple of mosquito bites outdoors, so we kept the doors shut at night and used the air-conditioner all night. We also fronted the main street so if we had left the balcony doors open street noise might have been a problem. But with the A/C turned on, the quiet steady A/C noise masked any other sounds that might have otherwise been audible. Aside from the elderly bathtub & shower plumbing, my only complaint is that the mattress was too soft and felt elderly. As a result, I did not sleep as well as I otherwise might have.

Though the website says that Intermediate Double rooms have a desk, ours did not. But at no time did we ever have the desire or necessity to sit at a desk so it was not an issue for us. If you need to do some work and want to work in your room, be sure to ask about that in advance. I saw some people working in the informal dining room. Free wifi worked well in our room as well as in the public rooms.

The fitness room was somewhat dated. The floor felt flimsy and was carpeted. At home in Pasadena, I belong to a very modern gym so I am using that for comparison. I have never before seen a carpeted floor in gym. For their next renovation, I would hope that the Oaks would install a new wooden floor in the Coral Spa room which would make it look and feel much better to me and make it more suitable for a gym.

Finally, as I left and was paying my bill, I noticed that the supposedly 40% discount for the daughter's rate, was only 25% on my bill. I immediately pointed this mistake out to the clerk and it was promptly changed to my satisfaction. I do not believe that this was intentional, but clearly the billing needs to have some attention paid to it. Be careful to check your bill for mistakes.

Room Tip: We thought our Intermediate Double room in the old hotel was quite nice. Ours had been recently reno...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Joyce, Wow...I am so impressed with your in-depth review! Thanks for pointing out so many of the unique nuances of a spa vacation at The Oaks! Your comment about our "somewhat dated" fitness room is on our mind too, in fact, we're upgrading it in Dec 2012, adding a beautiful new wooden floor! Sorry to hear we made an error with your bill - and your'e right, it was not intentional!

Is there anything special we can plan for your next visit? Let me know! elizabeth@oaksspa.com

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you're looking for some polished & fancy spa, I'd look elsewhere...but if you are looking for a wonderfully comfortable & accepting environment where you can really get focused on getting back on track to making healthy choices - this is the place! Not to mention it's in the center of the charming town of Ojai which offers diverse shops and art galleries.
The Oaks is a bit rustic which adds to it's charm...there is nothing pretentious here. The staff is very welcoming and after staying for 16 nights - it's as if they are old friends. I met a diverse group of women (men are welcome - but it was 99% women during my stay) and we have exchanged contact information & plan to keep in touch and hopefully visit the Oaks in the future at the same time!
The Oaks serves an 11-1200 calorie per day menu...it is unbelievably good! Stuffed portobello mushrooms, enchilada verde, eggplant cannelloni to name just a few favorites. I have brought home several of the cook books and am making my "healthy shopping list" from my favorite items.
There are 12-15 classes offered throughout the day at all different levels of fitness -- there is truly something for everyone. Plus you can enjoy a spa service - I had 4 massages - 2 of which were the amazing hot rock massage...BLISS.
The Oaks is an older property & its not fancy - and of course it's not without issues - pool chairs need replacing, the beautiful foliage is overgrown & the WIFI service is insufficient & in desperate need of upgrade but nothing earth shattering & certainly nothing that would keep me from returning - hopefully multiple times in the future.
After my stay at The Oaks, I feel better - mind - body & spirit ...not to mention that I lost weight. I'm now an Oaks Believer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
The entire staff has a big smile after reading your revue! I am so glad that The Oaks was a good fit for you - you seem to see us as I see us! We look forward to having another opportunity to serve you - and are so proud of your accomplishments here! May you keep your healthy spa glow for a long long time! Thank you for taking time to share your experience. Do send me a note when you're ready to return...we'll plan your favorite activities just for you! elizabeth@oaksspa.com
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have visited the Oak 3 times over the past 10 years. I have always been impressed with the front desk staff and general management always listen and try to help as best as possible. The fitness teachers are all good and some are great. It's a small spa so not all trainers are full time. You won't always get individual attention in your workout classes like you do at high end spas and private clubs. Some of the instructors used the class time for their own workout instead of walking around the room making sure we were doing our moves correctly. It's a laid back spa and some clients like that. What is not mentioned in these reviews which I think everyone should know is that the small private rooms in the main building are not renovated to the level of the Casitas. The room accommodations are so different between the main building and the casitas it's like having two different spa experiences.. The last time I visited 4 years ago I was told the main building rooms would be renovated. My small room still had a stained chair, old carpet, cheap pillow, a motel six type bedspread and "free" promotional samples for the soap and hair care from large companies. While visiting a friend in a Casita, I was surprised to see quality bedding, carpet, high end soap etc. It's unfortunate that the entire Spa can not offer the same quality in all size rooms. While using the indoor hot tub a large piece of tile on the seat was chipped out and I scraped my skin on it. It was a huge area missing-yet no warning sign or attempt of repair was there. There were other spa areas that needed attention but this was a safety issue that no one paid attention to. The food is average. A few meals were very good but only a few. I tried to not mind it too much, but the last night was the last meal for me at this spa-an enchilada that was filled with some sort of goo that did not resemble any food group. That was the end for me. I love the location, appreciate the hard working help, but I don't get enough value out of staying in the main building and if I am going to $400.00 a night for a Casita I can go to a first class spa where all the food and training is first class. I think this Spa is still a diamond in the rough and needs some attention from the owners.

Room Tip: stay on the south side, or in a Casita.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for sharing your experience here. I'm very sorry to hear that we missed the mark in so many ways for you. Indeed, the differences between our many room types/prices is broad! I'm glad you found some of the food fine...and I'm still investigating the goo (aka tofu enchilada filling) you mentioned! I'm thrilled to report that the hot tub tile has been smoothly repaired! We will continue to strive for improvement at The Oaks at Ojai - and I'm very pleased to have your input!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I found the Oaks in the mid '90s and have been coming back almost every year since then. I always find what I am looking for at the Oaks -- be it a quiet time, or one filled with activity from morning to night.

I travel a lot -- and never feel more secure and safe as I do at the Oaks. Every need is looked after -- and I feel totally rejuvenated when I leave. I have been known to call this my "anger management/stress therapy"

I am heading to the Oaks again soon for another week -- and can hardly wait. It is like returning home (people feel like that from their first visit on -- and most that are there have returned again and again.....)

Room Tip: I prefer to have a room to myself -- I've tried the cottages, the large single room and the stan...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
How great to hear we were a good fit for you! Thanks so much for letting us know what you enjoy most at The Oaks! And...when you're ready to return, send me a note and let me know of any special classes we can plan for you. Healthy regards, Elizabeth@oaksspa.com
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Celebrated a gal/pal reunion at The Oaks with a good friend during "Water Week", which included addtional water aerobic classes. This is my third visit in a while to The Oaks and I found that there were many worthwhile improvements--the food was better, the lobby architecturally appropriate and updated, and new rooms had been added.

FOOD: The Oaks is unique in that the price includes all of your meals as well as unlimited classes. I found the food very tasty and plentiful. While I understand the reason for using very little salt, I don't have any salt issues so next time I will bring a little salt--especially in hot weather when I really need a salt. So be prepared--if your body requires salt, just bring a little of your own. If you use alot of salt, this is a good opportunity to cut back and learn to eat flavorful foods with less salt.

CLASSES: I found all of the instructors very, very good, especially yoga, stretch, and cardio. However, my only complaint is that the water aerobic classes could be more strenuous, with alternative moves for those who require less of a workout.

ROOMS: We had a lovely and comfortable two room cassita, with a large patio and porch. The cassita included a living room with a couch, desk, large closet and fireplace. The bedroom had two queen beds and two closests, along with a small desk area. The bathroom was huge and included two sinks, a very large shower, a huge spa tub and a separate area for the toilet. We had lots and lots of thick towels and plenty of soap and samples.

STAFF: Most staff were pleasant and helpful, although a few needed to be better trained. Customer service needs to be improved and some staff need to be better trained in hospitality services. A few concerns I had were shared with the manager, who was extremely helpful and supportive.

SPA SERVICES: The only service in used was having a pedicure. The young woman who gave me the pedicure was lovely and very good. It was a very pleasant experience.

AREA: Another unique aspect of The Oaks, is that it is within walking distance to charming downtown Ojai. There are many unique boutiques, restaurants, and wine tasting rooms. We took a little time off from the spa, to shop together, have a glass of wine, and a latte. (Speaking of coffee, DO NOT go to the gourmet food shop across the street from The Oaks. We ordered a small coffee with 2 shots of expresso and it cost over $6--what a ripoff! Java Joe's down the street charged half that amount--the normal price!)

BOTTOM LINE: Overall, I'd definitely return to the Oaks. I hope in the meantime, staff is better trained in customer service. That's why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars--they're really close to 5 stars!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Yay! What a lovely review about The Oaks. How nice of you to put so much detail into your description! Water week is a fun time to be here! I look forward to sharing your comments with our team - and, as for customer service, it's a topic we take seriously and always strive for improvement. We look forward to another opportunity to wow you!
Seal Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The last time I stayed at the Oaks was more than 20 years ago - so I was so impressed when I returned earlier this month to see how they have remodeled and upgraded everything. The food is really very tasty, filling and attractively presented. The rooms (we stayed in one of the cottages in the back) was huge. Big bathroom, comfortable beds, two televisions, and quiet. I got to exercise 4 hours during the day, while my teenage daughter slept. We both got what we wanted. Plus I met some really amazing and interesting women. The town of Ojai is also glorious to visit. The most interesting part of my stay were the morning brisk walks I took at 7am. One morning we went through the Ojai Valley Inn and the other time we walked up into the hills and homes where Reese Witherspoon lives! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you don't mind, you can share a room with a stranger - and save considerable money!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Yay! We're so pleased to hear that The Oaks was a good fit for you and your daughter! It sounds like you took advantage of so many of our offerings! Let me know if there's anything special I can plan for your next healthy spa vacation at The Oaks! elizabeth@oaksspa.com
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I visited The Oaks two years ago and returned again last week. Both visits were wonderfu! I loved my room with a patio which I found charming and very clean. I really like the easy going feel of the inn. Everyone is friendly, helpful and accomadating. I like that it is a family Inn and it was nice to see the same faces on this trip that I saw 2 years ago. It's a very happy, comfortable place. The food and scheduled events are very good. I do not understand any negative reviews on this place. I participated in almost all of the classes and they were terrific. It's a great place to try new things. It's also a GREAT value. I hope they keep it that way. When my visit came to an end I didn't want to leave. Next time I'll schedule a longer visit!

Room Tip: Rooms on the streetside have a balcony but the street can be a bit noisy during the day. However...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thanks so much for letting us know about your great spa experience! If there's something special we can schedule for your next visit, send me a note at elizabeth@oaksspa.com ....Healthy Regards!

Been to The Oaks at Ojai? Share your experiences!