“Reasonable place for the price” 4 of 5 stars

25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
GreenLeadersGold level
San Luis Obispo, California
“Reasonable place for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed in Ojai for our 10-yr anniversary and were looking for reasonable accommodations. The Casa Ojai Inn offered just what we needed. The room was very clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast provided a decent quick meal in the morning. The only regret we had is that our room, 108, was next to the Housekeeping office and we had difficulty sleeping in in the morning due to noise as the staff was setting up their carts just outside our door. Otherwise it's very quiet at night. Next time we go there we would just request a different room. Had we brought our kids, they would have enjoyed the pool and hot tub. We spent several hours hiking just above the valley floor in the hills and walking around downtown during Ojai Day (every 3rd Saturday of each month). Downtown Ojai is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

This hotel was pretty standard as far as they come, yet above average of what I would have expected for the cheap price we paid. Very clean rooms and pool, nice staff, great little treats such as tea and cookies. The pool was nice but right along the road so we didn't feel like we wanted to spend any time relaxing by it as it wasn't very private. Breakfast was provided but all breads, cereals, and flavored oatmeal. There was some hard boiled eggs. I would have liked the option of as least some fresh fruit, juice, cold water or maybe some yogurt, things that I usually find pretty standard at continental breakfasts.

The rooms were nice, even a little fridge, which didn't work, but I'm sure would have been fixed if we had asked. Everything was clean, lots of space to put clothes away and spacious room to walk around. I really like that they are trying to go more "green" by using soup dispensers instead of bottles. That may not be as elegant, but it's much better for the environment which I fully support.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others who are looking for clean, inexpensive, well located, place to stay while seeing the beautiful town of Ojai.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at the Casa Ojai Inn with two children. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. You can take the breakfast next to the pool in the morning and it's quite ok. Unfortuntately, we booked two rooms under two different names and hence they did not realise that we would have like to have the rooms next to each other (and booking.com did not pass on our request either). If you are happy to share a queen bed, one room would actually have been enough.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

When my wife and I got to the room it appeared acceptable... However, as our stay ticked on it proved that this establishment was not as advertised. First, as we lay watching TV, we began to hear water dripping in the bathroom. When I went to investigate, I found a stream of water coming from the ceiling over the bathtub (this from the running shower above us). I went to the front desk to report this and the friendly receptionist said she'd look into this. My thought was that they would find another room for us, or discount our bill. But instead, she dispatched a plumber at 7pm. I strongly echoed a "no" on this since I didn't not pay to have a plumber intrude on our stay at 7pm. As the night went on the A/C would not stay on (making me constantly recycle the unit for cool air). My wife and I got little sleep as the occupants above us sounded like a sumo wrestlers going at it, not to mention the (loud) traffic zooming down the blvd at all hours of the night - then there was the drunk female (at midnight) yelling on her cell phone just outside our door. All of this 'action' was far from a pleasant stay. The final blow came when we got up in the morning and my wife wanted to make coffee. She opened the coffee pot door to pour water in it, only to find a layer of dirt in the reservoir- yuck!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ojai_Now, General Manager at Casa Ojai Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback, we really do appreciate it. I do remember your situation and it was a terrible unforeseen situation. I was called from home and came to the office immediately as we also called in a plumber. We were sold out that night so I am sorry we were unable to move you but that still does not help your situation, so I will look into this situation immediately and will be contacting you directly to give you my apologies.

Jim Johnson,

Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We arrived very jet lagged from the UK for a couple of nights in Ojai to start our touring holiday and had researched somewhere to stay. We picked the Casa Ojai from the reviews on this site and have to say it was a real find. The mountains make a spectacular backdrop to this hotel/motel - not sure which term to use. The rooms are generously proportioned with great beds (we had a two queen room), spotlessly clean and with soaps etc. provided in dispensers rather than the somewhat wasteful individual bottles you usually get. It makes for a great base, but not necessarily somewhere to stay around for the day. There is a small pool which you can sit around, but not particularly attractive for spending any length of time and apart from that there is just car parking space - so make it a place to come back to after a day's exploring rather than thinking it will be a place to chill out in its own right. Breakfast is very simple, so if you are just after coffee, toast and cereal that is fine. However, we recommend popping into town to the Ojai Cafe Emporium for the best breakfasts we had anywhere in California. And for picnics, stop off at the Westridge supermarket just up from the hotel - they have hot and cold deli stuff which we relied on for several lunches and suppers. It is about a 20 minute walk into the town itself as Casa Ojai is perched right on the edge (something the website could perhaps make clearer). You can of course drive in, but the walk is very nice. There is a trolley bus but we only saw it a couple of times and the receptionist didn't have a timetable for it. Ojai is a lovely base, sweet to explore in its own right, and great for a visit to Ventura on the coast; to hire bikes and ride a cycle trail that also heads to the coast; or drive inland along a beautiful road to Santa Paula. We liked it so much in fact that we returned for a couple of nights on our way back down to LA before flying home. Oh, and it was a decent price too for what we got.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Malibu, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

It's OK. We needed a place to stay because there was a plan power outage in our town. We wanted something picturesque and homey. The price is right. 100 bucks. Plus our dog came to 125. But this place is far from picturesque and homey. I've seen Motel 6's with more trees. This is a barren parking lot and not much else to look at. The famous cookies - they didn't have any when we arrived. We got the "sorry". The pool is nice. The rooms are nice too. Good linens. TV. Internet. Thank god the a/c worked! The checkin girl was not friendly and sounded like it was our problem a room we wanted was not clean. When we walked to our room and passed other rooms left dirty - we wondered . . . Guess next time we'll look for a B&B but this place was good for the price. Just Ojai is very hot in August. And this place was not walking distance to anywhere interesting.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ojai_Now, General Manager at Casa Ojai Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback and we really appreciate your perspective. I want to apologize for not meeting all of your expectations and for not going above and beyond. I have met with some of our staff and we will work hard on trying to make sure we do not make our customers feel like they are a "problem" or a burden. We strive to be the best that we can be and we are always looking for the next learning opportunity to better ourselves. Again I want to thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will give me a call the next time you are planning to come to Ojai. I would very much like the opportunity to make things right in your situation.

Jim Johnson
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Good enough place. Nice location, good price, very helpful service....We'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Ojai Inn? Share your experiences!