“Fantastic hideout” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rolling Thunder Ranch

Rolling Thunder Ranch
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ojai
Rolling Thunder Ranch
2261 Maricopa Highway, Ojai, CA 93023   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Specialty lodging in Ojai
Ventura, California
“Fantastic hideout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

My family and I spent 2 nights and 3 days on the property and were never short of things to do. The grounds were both beautiful and fun. the property is big enough to have people relaxing and engaged in games simultaneously. We were able to go across the street and do an amazing hike in the morning, golf in the afternoon, and relax poolside while cooking on the patio barbeque. Fantastic value for an amazing property. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I am rating my interaction with the owners of this property. The moment I inquired about Rolling Thunder Ranch, I received a call back the same day by the owner. That did not happen with any other owner who I contacted. Lisa was amazing. She was able to work around other rentals to find a date that was perfect for my husband's 65th birthday party. I was overwhelmed with the positive interaction I had with her regarding all the details of our stay. Unfortunately, my husband had emergency surgery and we had to cancel our reservation. When I emailed Lisa to let her know, she contacted me within an hour and told me she would do everything she could to find a renter for our cancellation. I am so impressed with the positive interactions I had with her. It is obvious to me that the owners are very willing to work with those interested in renting their property in order to help them have a special experience. We look forward to working with Lisa again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Albany, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had our wedding at this property and it was everything I hoped for. Inside the entry gate is a stylish circular drive with statues. The lawn is immediately to the left. There are a lot of beautiful flowers and trees surrounding the lawn, and a small covered pavilion nearby. This makes a very nice location for a wedding ceremony. Near the pavilion is the Buffalo Cottage, which is private and has space for additional beds. The bunkhouse is just a little bigger than the bed in it, but very cute. It’s near the main house but good for someone who wants a little extra privacy. The main house has three bedrooms, all on the same floor, and a kitchen as well as a room that is a living/dining combo. The décor is really interesting; it has the feel of a rustic hunting lodge or mountain cabin (lots of wood and stone, dim lighting, twisted wood bedframes and antler chandeliers) but with seashells integrated into the rock walls along with a seashell bathroom sink and two carp pools in the living room. Outside is a black-bottom swimming pool surrounded by a stone patio, boulders, and palm trees. There is another pavilion here with a large rock table, fireplace, and tons of firewood so you can make a gigantic fire. The property is decorated with tiki torches, wagon wheels, wooden sculptures, and some wine barrels. There is a hot tub near the pool and another one near the lawn. We were invited to pick from the organic garden.

The owner Lisa Kenton is extremely nice and was essential to our wedding planning success. From the time we booked the property, she was my full-time consultant on caterers, photographers, the minister (Tamra is wonderful and performed the best ceremony we could have hoped for), and a local rental company for additional tables and chairs, glassware etc (Ventura Rentals had great customer service and excellent prices). She also threw in freebies whenever she could (like extra time at the property and extra tables and chairs which saved us some money). Our security deposit was refunded promptly.

Near the property are hiking trails and roadside stands with local fruit and vegetables. If you are looking for a getaway for up to 15 people or a really unique and private wedding venue, this is it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Buffalo Cottage. The website pictures represent this place well, but it should be noted that you are actually three miles away from downtown Ojai. In brief, the decor of this one bedroom cottage is rustic country/southwestern. The landscaping is lovely, and we felt quite separated from the larger house next door by generous foliage. There is a small farm next door with lamas, pigs, goats and sheep, and a park with nice hiking trails across the road.

There was some confusion on our arrival date. We were "upgraded" to this property rather than the one for which I had signed the contract. Since I had expressed interest in this location as well I didn't think the switch was a terrible thing. But.

I have mixed feelings about our stay. The rock shower is very attractive but there were several spiders in residence. One of them hatched her brood during our stay, and though this was charming in a Charlotte's Web sort of way it made us wonder how often the shower really gets cleaned. The garden is nice but there is trash here and there - a few plastic cups, two dead chairs, a broom lying around, an old flip-flop, etc. The Jacuzzi was welcome but there's a disconcerting red stain on the surrounding rock wall. The antler chandelier is a nice touch but the ceiling cover is falling off, exposing the wires underneath. It's a bit glib to claim this cottage has wireless internet if you have to be on your neighbor's porch to use it - no reception in our cottage or patio. And instead of a box of facial tissue, a roll of toilet tissue by the bedside? And I have to buy my own hand soap for the bathroom?

In summary, we would recommend this place if you are mainly concerned about quiet, privacy and bucolic relaxation. If you are picky about details and service, you will be disappointed. We are somewhere between the two, so we feel that our stay was OK but not the best value for our money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We were surprised by our kids with this beautiful rental for our anniversary. The place is magnificent, all the hidden details, such masterful heart obviously went into the building of this paradise. We absolutely fell in love with the outdoor dinning/ tiki / bungalow / fire area. We spent every night star gazing as we have never seen. Ojai has very little outside light interference so we were able to remember what its like to actually see stars in the black sky. Being from LA this was priceless. The Co. was more than accommodating with all there extra help & hints of what to do where to go. We felt cared for more than just here''s the key BYE.. We loved it, this is really an a++ rental & the town was really charming and the nights of stars well, unforgettable.......XOXO

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ketchum, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband & I are always looking for new and unique experiences and accommodations when we travel. We usually spend a great deal of time & money to find them. That is why we were shocked when we discovered this magnificent paradise less than a two hour drive from home!!!! The Rolling Thunder Ranch is so idyllic, its almost like like being on a movie set! You'll think you died and went to heaven! It is so peaceful and serene that one can't help but instantly fall under its spell, and completely relax. For us, it will always hold a special place in our hearts because it is the last place we took our precious 14-year old Lab before he passed away. He had an absolute blast running around freely and exploring the entire property. It was a truly magical vacation for us all. Jerry & Lisa have worked to create the most spectacular vacation rentals I've ever seen. We can't wait to return!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

My husband had a wonderful and relaxing time here. the tropical gardens and landscaping were a sight to behold. I flet like I was in another part of the world!We both came to Rolling Thunder to get plenty of rest along with a tranquil setting. What a sight to behold. It is a definte must see for all!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rolling Thunder Ranch? Share your experiences!