“Lovely & relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Inn   |   1208 E. Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
“Lovely & relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Charming hotel with hardwood floors. The beds were cozy. I liked the microwave & the fridge in the room. The lobby was fantastic with its complimentary tea (amazing selections!) & lemonade. The pool was nice. Beautiful patio to hang out in. My only complain was how the door completely opened when handle was turned. Not very safe with my one year old. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Ojai is by far the best getaway for a couple or a family, it's a small town with extremely nice people, just outside of Santa Barbara. Three Moms and two kids took this latest trip and were treated very well by all staff members of the Hummingbird Inn. Breakfast was a nice treat, as they had a variety of foods for the kiddos and adults. We purchased a Groupon and were delighted to see the remodeled rooms, Ojai oil and some delicious cookies, upon arrival. Everyone was accommodating and helpful. The pool is small, quaint and clean -- no complaints. The Hummingbird Inn is close to the Spa, Golf course and you can walk just about anywhere... then again, we came prepared to walk the town, as we did not have a car... we took the train up there from Orange County! Well, we walked for the majority of our trip, but they let us borrow a few of their bikes, which was fun and free. Five stars for the Hummingbird Inn! We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

First we realized we had no Internet which I was pretty much a huge pain when I had work to get done while here. That was met with a oh well attitude. We were woken up at 730 am to a literal chainsaw outside after reading in their summary their hotel is for rest and relaxation. Also met with a oh well they will be done soon. When we finally had enough to ask for another night as our whole point of coming here could barely be accomplished bc of their Internet we were actually told we already got amazing rates for their hotel. WOW I wanted to not be disappointed but I definitely was.

• Stayed June 2012
Bako
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Mom, sis, and I have begun a tradition of staying in Ojai for a Mom's get-away. This year we stayed at the Hummingbird Inn for 2 nights. As the logistics person I began to get concerned after reading additional reviews I missed prior to booking....most of it had to do with the service and the overall experience. We had a bungalow and were very pleasantly surprised...while there were some slight cosmetic imperfections none of it detracted from the stay. The complimentary breakfast was great...there was a waffle iron, a fresh juice squeezer, a wide array of teas available, and a decent assortment of items. They also have bikes that can be checked out which is a great touch. What detracted from our stay were other guests (not sure how many actually had rooms) that convened for some sort of reunion - these individuals essentially took over the parking lot on Saturday night to where cars could not exit from the proper driveway...they drank into the night and played music quite loud. Their evening was bearable BUT what was absolutely unacceptable was their yelling back and forth across the parking lot at 6 a.m. !! While we do not begrudge anyone their fun, their rudeness and lack of consideration definitely detracted from our stay. The lack of action by management (though the office was closed at 6 am on a Sunday, there was not a number posted to call for after-hour needs) was also not acceptable so although there were several perks it is not likely we will stay here for our next annual trip. This experience makes me wonder if management even cares about repeat business.

Room Tip: From what I can tell from my visit and other reviews - - sounds like the bungalows may be remodeled.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I reserved the room for my girlfriend and myself and was appalled with the quality of the room, service and for the price I was better off getting a room at the Ojai Valley inn. When we arrived we were initially pleased with the service but shortly after found out that the 160 dollar price of the room was extremly overpriced. At first glance the room appeared nice and claimed to be "newly renevated" but there were cigarette burns on the nightstand, chipped paint on the walls, an ill-thought attempt to cover them up with a picture frame , and the lack of a doorstop which resulted in two holes in the wall, a move i felt was a con to charge me more. I madesure to notify the lady at the desk that there were small holes from there being no doorstop she said she would notify maintenance which was not the point of it, I wanted to be sure that I would not be surcharged for their failure to install a doorstop. The toilet seat was tarnished with God knows what, the comforter and bedsheets were stained, also not very pleasing. The sink had scum on it and by the time I had realized what I had gotten myself into, the front desk lady was gone. I was disgraced with the room and will never go back to the Hummingbird Inn.

• Stayed May 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

When we arrived the receptionist was obviously unhappy to be working but I have dealt with worse, the rooms were ok. We went to the pool "no towels provided". No problem went back to the room and grabbed 2 towels. After the pool. I asked the front desk for 2 clean towels to shower with. I was told "you can try to find the housekeeper in the morning". I guess there are a shortage of towels in ojai. This was at 6 pm. So I thought it was a little crazy, but none the less. I found the housekeepers in the morning and they looked at me like I was crazy. They did give me 2 towels that had paint stains on them. I could have dealt with the towel issue but the staff's unwillingness to help or have any compassion was just plain unacceptable. I will never go back or recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012
Santee, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Used a Groupon coupon recently for a two night stay at the Hummingbird Inn. We checked in at 2:30 knowing our room would not be ready until 3. However, we were told that it probably wouldn't be ready until 4 p.m. After a long walk, we returned around 4:15 only to be told that they were short a housekeeper and it would probably be another 45 min. to an hour before we could get in our room. Needless to say we were upset after a long drive and then the walk. Most hotels will offer you something for the inconvenience, such as a discount for a dinner out. The young lady working the front desk acted as though we were at fault and had no reason to complain. When we got to our room, only one light out of three in the kitchen were working, the freezer in the frig had partially defrosted so the frig had water all over the inside, and there were fleas in our room. The room was good-sized with a separate living room/kitchen area and it was quiet. The breakfast they offer is "bare-bones" --okay if you are big on carbs. Not much in the way of protein food except milk. Overall we enjoyed our stay because we got in some nice hiking and long walks through the town. My personal feeling is that the Inn is overpriced. And if they are saying the rooms have been refurbished, I would beg to differ. They could use a lot more upgrading.

Room Tip: We had the second floor corner room so it was relatively quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hummingbird Inn? Share your experiences!