“Great experience...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Malibu
“Great experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

We decided to get away for the long President's Day weekend just a couple of days before the actual weekend, and of course had a hard time finding something that was available...somehow, we found the Capri on line, and booked a deluxe room for $149 for the Friday and Saturday and $99 for the Sunday...we hadn't been to Ojai for a couple of years, and thought what the heck...some of the reviews of the hotel made me a little nervous, but we were thrilled with the property, room and pool/spa area...yes, the painting is a little shoddy, and the grounds are being worked on, but the staff was great, the plasma TV and ipod station were cool, the bed was fantastic, and the location and free rental bikes were great...overall, this was totally worth the money, and we will be back - Pauly and Holly G - Malibu

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed New Years Eve, the photos looked nice and they said they were putting us in a deluxe room with a patio. When we arrived I was sorely disappointed. Whomever is doing the painting and upgrading is not doing a quality job. The bathroom ceiling was peeling, the toilet hadn't been cleaned,and was running and the carpet not vaccumed. The patio they spoke of had new chairs, however the grassy area overgrown and full of mud. Yes they have the T.V.s, fridge, and microwaves and that is always a plus. At $169 per night it was not worth it. The beds were comfortable and we found it to be very quite which was nice. The entire grounds were unkept.The staff was very friendly

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

Having stayed at this motel in the early '70s as a teenager, I was curious to see how it had aged and been refreshed with an updated, retro look as advertised by its new owners.

What I learned is that it's basically a part-way atttempt to make a tired 60s motel into something to appeal to the hip Gen Y crowd, but done on the cheap.

This is a motel that charges up to $199/night, claiming to be "the Only Boutique Hotel in the Ojai Valley", yet those plasma screens that they advertise on their website don't pick up HD or even HBO (you even have to use two remotes to control the TV). While the screens are nicely wall-mounted, they didn't even bother to bury the wiring in the walls. Even the lamps over the beds have exposed wiring, all of which was covered with inexpensive, plastic coverings. A/C consists of noisy, wall-mounted units (you'll hear lots of them during your stay in the summer).

The parking lot from where you enter your room is messy and trashy (unless you don't mind pickup trucks, campers and a few bikers thrown in for good measure). Plus, you have the luxury of parking up against a chain link fence with barbed wire.

The rooms are fairly dark. To see the mountains from your room, you have to step out on the patio. If you are fortunate, as we were, to have a ground floor unit, you had the luxury of a private little garden area that is a combination of cement and dirt (management did disclose this to us in advance). However, to see the mountains, you have walk out on to the grassy expanse between the hotel and the pool. The view there is quite nice, but the grass is rather rugged and in need of a full re-landscape.

On the positive side, the bathrooms, although small, were nicely redone. Additionally, the beds were high quality. The sheets are not made of "down" as the website claims, but rather a cotton/poly blend which we liked. We also enjoyed free wireless Internet access from our room, which we considered a nice perk. We also thought the staff was friendly and helpful

The motel is also not a short walk from downtown, but it is close enough to be considered a 5 minute drive. There is highway noise, but the Capri has the advantage of fairly expansive grounds, so your chances of getting a quieter room are greater than some of the other roadside motels in the area.

In short, if we had to do it again, we'd probably pass on this tired old gem, and check into the equally priced Blue Iguana.

Stayed September 2006
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2006

The jacuzzi switch does not work, the big screen tv is very complicated to turn on, the magnetic room key did not work twice, once at 11 pm and the manager was no where to be found. I had to break into the room. The wi fi system is dodgy in the room. The manager has good ideas of things to do to entertain yourself in Ojai (hikes, bikes) but is not helpful. I would not recommend this motel , even though it is economical in Ojai.

Stayed August 2006
la canada california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

We made a 4 night reservation and confirmed our stay and rate with a credit card and were given a "midweek" special rate. Drove all the way from La Canada in Los Angeles area but upon arrival at Capri Motel, the desk manager told us with finality that our confirmed and quoted rate could not be honored stating the rate was mistakenly quoated. When we questioned why this would happen, we were told it would be best if we didn't stay since we were obviously upset. Outrageous management behavior on their part, but what was really odd was the fact there was only one or two cars in the place?!!! We actually received a call from the person at the hotel that booked our reservation to tell us that a mistake was made by the front desk person and to let us know that they were now going to honor the rate they originally quoted. Don't bother with this fly-by-night operation. Bizarre behavior of staff, pirate like attitude galore, BEWARE!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

My husband and I decided last minute to go to Ojai to celebrate our anniversary. I read the reviews of the Capri, and I definitely agree with the positive posts. This is a little gem of a budget motel, nicely renovated 1950's style, with a clean pool and grounds that have a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains. The retro-chic lobby contains fruit and coffee all day and night, with an extensive selection of DVDs for you to peruse and take back to your room to watch on big, flatscreen TVS. A great deal for $140 (on expedia), far better than staying in a generic Best Western. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Temecula, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed three nights at the Capri in July 2006 and it was AWFUL! Upon entering our Deluxe King room, the first thing I noticed was a terrible smell. Once I looked around, I noticed a large hole in the wall where someone had slammed the doorhandle. It looked as if someone had attempted to repaint it, but there was still a hole in the drywall. Ah yes, that's probably where the BUGS I found in the bathroom came from!!! Let's not forget that the lovely white linens that were provided had a yellow/brown stain on the pillowcase! I immediatley went to the front office to request another room, but was told there was nothing available, that I had "the nicest room on the property" and that I was "in Ojai now" so I should just get over it.

I would have immediately left if there would have been another place to stay, but because of a local festival there were no vacancies at the other hotels. After the man at the front desk came to sweep the bugs away and change our pillowcase, I decided to try to make the best of it. So, I wanted to go to the pool. Since we only had four PAPER THIN towels in our room, I decided to go ask for a few extra towels for the pool. The man at the front told me that of the four towels in my room, two were for the pool and two were for bathing. He WOULD NOT give me any more towels at my request. Talk about service!

To top it off, later that night I saw a TOAD IN THE SHOWER! I am NOT KIDDING!!! It must have come up from the drain. Oh well, I'll take a toad over bugs any day....

Did I forget to tell you about the noisy and dirty toilet with cigarette burns on the top??

The cleaning ladies were very gracious and did what they could to make our room clean the next day. However, when I returned home from Ojai I noticed that I had forgotten that my swimsuit was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. When I called The Capri to ask if it had been turned in, they said NO, so I can only assume that one of my sweet cleaning ladies got a new swimsuit out of the deal.

All in all, as you can see, you should STAY AWAY. The best thing about this motel was the plasma TV , the A/C was cold, and the bed was comfortable. I think you could do better at probably any other hotel in Ojai. If you can afford it, you should definitely go stay at the Ojai Valley Inn--we went there for golf and spa one day and it is gorgeous! I'd rather stay one night there than the three I spent at the Capri!

• Liked — Plasma TV and cold A/C
  • Disliked — It was dirty and had bugs
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay ANYWHERE else!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Capri? Share your experiences!