“Don't stay here! You're better off ANYWHERE else!” 1 of 5 stars

The Capri
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1180 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023-3013   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Ojai
Temecula, California
“Don't stay here! You're better off ANYWHERE else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed three nights at the Capri in July 2006 and it was AWFUL! Upon entering our Deluxe King room, the first thing I noticed was a terrible smell. Once I looked around, I noticed a large hole in the wall where someone had slammed the doorhandle. It looked as if someone had attempted to repaint it, but there was still a hole in the drywall. Ah yes, that's probably where the BUGS I found in the bathroom came from!!! Let's not forget that the lovely white linens that were provided had a yellow/brown stain on the pillowcase! I immediatley went to the front office to request another room, but was told there was nothing available, that I had "the nicest room on the property" and that I was "in Ojai now" so I should just get over it.

I would have immediately left if there would have been another place to stay, but because of a local festival there were no vacancies at the other hotels. After the man at the front desk came to sweep the bugs away and change our pillowcase, I decided to try to make the best of it. So, I wanted to go to the pool. Since we only had four PAPER THIN towels in our room, I decided to go ask for a few extra towels for the pool. The man at the front told me that of the four towels in my room, two were for the pool and two were for bathing. He WOULD NOT give me any more towels at my request. Talk about service!

To top it off, later that night I saw a TOAD IN THE SHOWER! I am NOT KIDDING!!! It must have come up from the drain. Oh well, I'll take a toad over bugs any day....

Did I forget to tell you about the noisy and dirty toilet with cigarette burns on the top??

The cleaning ladies were very gracious and did what they could to make our room clean the next day. However, when I returned home from Ojai I noticed that I had forgotten that my swimsuit was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. When I called The Capri to ask if it had been turned in, they said NO, so I can only assume that one of my sweet cleaning ladies got a new swimsuit out of the deal.

All in all, as you can see, you should STAY AWAY. The best thing about this motel was the plasma TV , the A/C was cold, and the bed was comfortable. I think you could do better at probably any other hotel in Ojai. If you can afford it, you should definitely go stay at the Ojai Valley Inn--we went there for golf and spa one day and it is gorgeous! I'd rather stay one night there than the three I spent at the Capri!

• Liked — Plasma TV and cold A/C
  • Disliked — It was dirty and had bugs
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay ANYWHERE else!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

Wow- false advertising galore. Room did not even have air conditioning (I do not think it had heating either). Hot water in sink only by running water in the bath tub. One person could not fit into the jacuzzi for two. Nails protruding from the walls. No smoke detector. No plasma TV, no DVD player. Not a contour bed as shown in photo on website. Dirty. They may have renovated part of this place, but not all of it. Beware.

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was our first trip to Ojai and we were so glad to have chosen the Capri Motel as our place to stay. Although the Capri Motel does not say much from the outside our thoughts completely changed when we first entered our room. It was very bright and clean; the bed was very comfy and the white linens were like the ones we have at home! A nice touch was the huge flat screen tv with dvd player as well as the Ipod dock station . All this felt great once we were back from our hike and we had such a nice place to wind down and sleep away. We are already planning a date to go back!!

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2005

An experience worth laughing about, but I cry when I think I paid $125 for the night! It was July 4th weekend... most expensive time to stay in a hotel. This was the ONLY place in town with availability (now I know why!). Once inside our room, we were greeted with an overwhelming smell of smoke! Could it be from the fresh cigarette floating in our toilet? Gross. The bathroom had spiders and dead flies in all corners. The floors were insanely dirty! 30 seconds of walking barefoot on the carpet and your feet were black! It was just an absolutely disgusting feeling being there! Our shower was broken, only one temperature available. Luckily I had a tool set in my truck, I rigged the shower to fit our desired temperature. There was a hold in the drywall ceiling above the shower and it was surrounded by black mold. Our screen door to the patio was broken and one chair was missing. There were Corona bottle caps on the patio and it looked like it hadn't been swept in weeks. There was a folded up towel behind the headboard to keep it from banging' on the wall (probably during the previous occupant's ----). The sheets on the rock hard beds had hair and dried blood (or ketchup) on them. The only thing good about this place was the A/C cooled the room down really quickly. We're going through battles to try and get a refund as I write this. Don't make the same mistake we (and everyone else who stayed here) made. If there is no availability anywhere else in Ojai... sleep in your car instead!

• Stayed July 2005
, Owner at The Capri, responded to this review, June 14, 2006
We Bought The Capri in December. It was in less than pristine condition. We have since rennovated every room and suite. This is now the only true boutique hotel in Ojai. Enjoy our new luxurious down bedding, our 42 inch plasmas, ipod docking stations, top of the line bath products, 2 beautiful pools. . .

Enjoy a truly luxury experience for less.

We really can't answer for the hotel prior to our being there, but we know you will be greeted by a friendly staff, and feel right at homed in your extremely comfortable room

Hope to see you soon!!
Glenn
The Capri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2005

Beds were hard as rocks. Pillows were the flimsiest ever. TV remote was broken and although the front desk said they'd bring a new one, they never showed up. Toilet was filthy. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed May 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

We stayed at the Capri Motel in Ojai in February of 2004 and agreed with the comments of the previous sender. It was dirty; vacuum sweeper did not work so they could not sweep on our last night there, breakfast consisted of packaged stored bought "junked" food. This place is unfit.

They jammed 4/5 day workers into a room. A very cheap rate was quoted to them; I was in the office and observed the reservation being made.

We will never go there again.

A warning should be posted on this motel.

Bend, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2004

If you're looking for reasonably priced, clean, comfortable accommodations in Ojai--this
is NOT the place!

Based on the motel's web listing--which claimed the place was newly renovated--
and several reviews, I was expecting a "mid-century modern" place--nice,
neat, and affordable.

The price for the room when I made the reservation in June was $100. Upon check-in,
I was quoted a price of $115. The clerk went into the office, came back and said
ok to the $100, and gave us our room key. The motel had no vacancies for that evening.

We've traveled extensively, and never have we had a room as filthy as this one.
The furniture had sticky gunk on it, the doorjambs were filthy, there was mildew
in the tub, switch plates were missing, and the table on the balcony had a full
ash tray, a half-empty beer bottle, and an empty coffee cup on it. The pillows
were stained and flat; the blankets were threadbare. Continental breakfast consisted
of packaged goods from the grocery store. Their coffee maker was broken, and they
obviously couldn't figure out how to make/buy any.

When I complained to the clerk (a young girl not terribly enthusiastic about her
job), she said "oh, sorry." Because the motel was full, we had no options.

I was able to look into a couple of rooms while the housekeepers were cleaning,
and can't say they were much better than ours--though they did seem cleaner.

Look elsewhere for accommodations in Ojai.

• Stayed August 2004

Been to The Capri? Share your experiences!