“They just don't care” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“They just don't care”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Don't bother staying here. Management is rude, disinterested and the property is at best mediocre. Sadly since there is a dirth of decent,affordable accommodations in Ojai they get away with it. It may look decent from the website bit it isn't particularly clean and the furniture is shabby. Don't give them your money. Make another choice but don't choose the Hummingbird Inn because they are owned by the same people.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It's a little hotel in a little town. We got a free upgrade to the family suit with a play room full of toys a bunk bed and the kids loved it. Thanks Chris. The hotel is nicely decorated, landscaped, and clean. The location is at the end of the downtown area. Small suggestion: The front of the hotel does not look as nice as inside the courtyard and could add some green/grass area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Charlottesville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I would have liked to have stayed in this hotel for my brothers upcoming wedding in October. However the customer service is dismal, such a shame because it looked like a cool place to stay, but being out of town and having such horrible customer service made me leery of staying here. I called and was told that I would be called back. Three hours later I got a return call with no message (doesn't seem to timely for me considering I called on a Monday). When I called back, I was put on the hold (without actually being put on hold, I thought the person was talking to me but he was talking to someone else) and then passed to a different person after a couple of minutes. When I asked her about the rate discount which had already been established for the wedding she claimed there was no wedding under that name. I decided to give them yet another chance and I asked how much the room would cost but she couldn't actually tell me the rate! How can you not know your own rates? She said she guessed it would be around $145 but she wasn't sure, that and there is no discounted rate for during the week. Oh well, I guess my money will go elsewhere, bummer because it looked cool. However, I wouldn't trust handing over my credit card number to these people. Work on your customer service Capri!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I found the Capri by chance when I needed to stay in Ojai overnight at the last minute and found this adorable place. The Capri is a small renovated motor inn that's been done over in a minimalist, hip contemporary style, granted with a lot of Ikea but still fresh and cute. it's super reasonable and basic but has (almost) everything you need for a comfortable stay.....clean rooms with cable, small fridge and a new cool line of cruelty-free bath products, coffee in the morning in the lobby and a pretty pool area and a lush green lawn. Plus alot of the rooms have a balcony or patio. The only things missing were a more comfortable bed and bathtubs. I happened to visit during a time they were having trees cut down and it was a little loud for the whole day, there was no notice so it might have been nice to forewarn guests or offer wine at the pool to help ignore the constant chainsaw noise. I could see how Christopher who's the office manager might come across as a bit moody but he he was really great and super helpful, going out of his way to make a room transition easy even when I returned from the hotel 2-3 hrs later than expected. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs balcony room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ventura
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at some very nice hotels but this one stole my heart. Its small but has everything I need since I travel light. The pool area was so relaxing and beautiful. I especially enjoyed the Cabanas when I wanted to take a short nap. There are no poolside services but I am certainly capable of bringing a small ice chest with everything I need. There is an adorable market right down the street which you can get anything you might want for a small getaway.
The water is not heated but the warm weather in Ojai makes the natural temperature perfect and refreshing.
The rooms are simple but spacious and have patios or balconys. The type of guests who stay here are friendly and not pretentious which makes you feel like you are welcome.
I am definitely heading back here soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The pool was wonderful! There's a nice lawn courtyard, fire pit & lounge chairs. If you're looking for a nice place to sun bathe and float the Capri is great. They offer bikes for guest use & offer a breakfast of coffe & packaged danish. Rooms are bright and clean but not fabulous. Overall town is quiet, with many great restaurants.

Room Tip: All lower level rooms have a pool side patio, but not all patios have access to pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madera, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The lady here is nice, otherwise I would have given the service a one star. The youngish hippy guy at the front desk was not so nice. The bathroom lights (all the lights) are on a timer. We did not know this and when my daughter was taking a shower at night, the light went out on her. She fell and bumped her head and fell again trying to feel her way out. She wasn't seriously hurt but could have been. When I told the guy (Is his name Christopher? I'm guessing it is by the other reviewers similar complaints), he merely said that's just the way it is and the same thing happens to him (perhaps, maybe one too many times). No concern, no apology, just a get lost look, which is his permanent expression.

Also, the website says they have in-room coffee makers. They don't. There is this redundant water pitcher heater (redundant because there is a microwave below it that can do the same thing faster). If I know in advance my room does not have a coffee maker, I bring my own. But alas, I was falsely advertized this feature and was even more disappointed when I found out the lobby doesn't open until 8am. We had places to be and couldn't wait. Some people (me) cannot function without coffee. I cannot drive or even talk. I had to get my husband to drive into town for expensive coffee on both mornings. I found that to be an unnecessary inconvenience. Christopher acted inconvenienced that I even brought it up.

The free breakfast is basics like yogurt, cereal, bread. The orange juice was in a carton and had expired two months prior. This concerned me since the milk was in a machine and there was no telling how old it was.

On a good note, the hotel is pretty and beautifully decorated with a nice pool and a park-like setting. I'm disappointed that the location is ideal, the rooms roomy, and the cat (Nicco) sweet and I will never get to see them again (unless I hear Christoper has left).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Capri? Share your experiences!