“Good, reasonably priced accommodation in Ojai” 4 of 5 stars

Ojai Rancho Inn
615 W. Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023 (Formerly Rose Garden Inn)   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Ojai B&B and Inns
Wiltshire, England
“Good, reasonably priced accommodation in Ojai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I were in town for the wonderful Ojai music festival recently and we needed somewhere to stay - we were lucky to find the Ojai Rancho Inn at a very reasonable rate at this busy time, and it's a really good place to stay. It's at the west end of town, just opposite Suzanne's Cuisine, which was a big bonus for us, and within an easy stroll of Libbey Park and the shopping area of Ojai. Most of the rooms are cabin/motel style but we booked the Chief's Peak Lodge Room which is right by the pool; it's the only room that borders the pool so it's quiet, and separate from all the other rooms (there's a "front door" off the parking lot and a "rear door" for easy access to the pool).

The room was spacious and clean with large picture windows overlooking the pool (you can pull curtains across for privacy) and a small bathroom to one side. There's a rather old fashioned air conditioning unit in the room, which was very welcome as the sun warms up this room very quickly; it's another "log cabin" style room with a high ceiling but it gets warm in the Ojai sun! Don't make the same mistake my wife did and switch on the heater by mistake :) - the heater is at the opposite side of the room from the air con unit!

The service at the Ojai Rancho Inn is terrific - it's run by a husband and wife team, and they are very welcoming and happy to direct you to various places around town. You can take a free "palo santo" wood stick from the reception desk to light and perfume your room, which is a nice touch - I've never seen these before but I am now a confirmed fan and have bought more on my return to the UK!

So, basic but clean accommodation with excellent service in a great location in what can be an expensive city to stay in. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
spanish2teacher
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I took my husband and my 4 years old in the middle of the week to Ojai to spend 3 days at the Inn. We stayed in room #9 ( a premium king with jacuzzi) and we had a great time. My son LOVED the pool and wanted to go back even at night time. The room was very clean and the owners were very friendly, my only critique is going to be the bathroom shower, it was not very clean and it seems clear to me that needs to be upgraded ASAP.The rooms are well decorated, they have microwave and a little fridge and are perfect for a small family or a couple.

I have to be honest but even when their website says "Complimentary Continental Breakfast Each Morning" they only offer coffee and tea in the morning, The only way you can get food is going to one of the restaurants in town,ordering a pizza or if you prefer they have a couple of BBQs at the pool, and you can make your own. We barbecued some hot dogs, corn in the cob and even made s'mores in the fire pit one night.

I will agreed with the previous review about making sure you get a room at the very back of the place because the traffic could be very, very noisy. Will definitely be back but next time I will try a room with kitchenette (I guess it will help specially with my little one) and in the back of the property.

They place is LOVELY and you will enjoy your stay for sure!

Room Tip: Try a room with kitchenette ( it will help specially if you have little ones) and in the back of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms we decorated in a unique way. The people at the office were friendly. Make sure you get a room at the very back as the place is not built well and the traffic is very, very noisy.
The chlorine was so strong that it burnt my skin and the smell was very toxic. I forgot to bring a chlorine reduction shower filter although I am not sure if that would have reduced it enough. Even the towels were extremely strong smelling of chlorine. All it would take is a main filter system to get rid of the chlorine odor.

Room Tip: look for a place not on the main road
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was a fun little overnight adventure to stay here. We were in town for our daughter's nearby soccer game.We enjoyed our stay here, but it was in early October and it was pretty hot out and there was no A/C in our room. We would have enjoyed it so much more if it was cooler and more comfortable in the room. The rooms are made of exposed wood so you feel like you're in a cabin. Nothing is updated, it has a more random decor. Our room had a little kitchenette, which I will say was very randomly stocked with supplies. The big open porches with tables and chairs are inviting. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. Even though they don't provide a breakfast, fresh coffee is put out on the porch in front of the lobby each morning. It's really good coffee.
The Inn is in a great location - out the front, you are just a couple of blocks away from the heart of Ojai, and out the back, the Inn backs onto Ojai's great jogging trail. It's perfect if you like to start your day off with a walk or run.
We love going back to visit Ojai and we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed Ojai Rancho Inn for only one night, but enjoyed it very much. We stayed in a room with Jacuzzi and was a big plus.

I know I would like the place a moment I walked in the reception area. It was an old motel converted and upgraded by young creative owners. The whole place was renovated with good design and eco-conscious way. Even patio chairs they have there are seemingly good'ol aluminum chairs but very "cool" upgraded version of patio chair with nice leather.

It felt too hip every once in a while because it was little bit like hipster Brooklyn in a way, but it was nicely done, so I didn't mind it too much.

My room was pretty dark with small windows but it was like a log cabin and I enjoyed it. The hotel is located 5 min bike ride away from downtown Ojai. There is bike path access right out from back yard of the hotel. They have free bike rental and it was a nice perk.

Good size pool with Sauna and a few Grills out if you want to do a bbq. We only did smores but it was fun.

Ojai is pricey place to stay. Don't expect too much even if the motels come with high price tag.

Room Tip: There are rooms with Jacuzzi or fireplace. I enjoyed my jacuzzi a lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked two rooms here for four days during a family wedding. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The location, right on the main highway, was convenient. We had two rooms away from the road and heard no road noise. The big beds were comfortable and the decor very cute...sort of 1930's western. The lighting i the room is inadequate for the size and color of the room. The bathrooms are tiny but do the job. There is a coveredporch with outside seating i front of each room and an ice machine in a separate buldingnear the ,ovely outside pool. There are multiple Weber barbecues i the pool area,a shuffleboard p,aying area, and FREE bikes to ride ona very extensive and prettybike trail. One of our rooms was billed as having a " full kitchen" which was stretching the term....dorm-sized refrigerator, small stove and sink. You will need to bring most of what you would need to USE the kitchen, however, as there was only a pan and a scattering of utensils. Air conditioning,ay be inadequate for the space once it gets over 80 degrees. This makes a great family stay, especially if you have children. Its not a typical Holiday Inn kind of lodging. Pet friendly, lovely cactii lanscaping. Hot tub in the non- kichen room did not heat adequately.

Room Tip: Room #6 has mini-kichen and an interior door to room #5, which has a hot tub in the room. The only...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Del Mar, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had to book last minute hotel in Ojai and the only place available was this motel. I booked the room then I looked at the recent reviews on TA and place didn't sound to bad. Unfortunately I guess I was at a different motel then the recent reviews because my room was a big disappointment all around. Let my just mention a few problem areas, the air conditioner unit was too small for the room and was not able to cool the room down. Inadequate lighting in the room which made the room very dark at night and the dark walls didn't help. The bed was too large for the room and not very comfortable. The bathroom was a joke, small and not user friendly at all and I loved the simple plywood door from the bedroom into the bathroom, real classy. This motel is not setback from the road and my room was close to this main road into Ojai and it was noisy all night. Yes, there was a new large flat screen TV in the room, I'll give you that, but that's about all. I paid $180 for this room and It really wasn't worth $49, but with all the other hotels full in town they stick it to you. I can't recommend this motel and if it's the only hotel with available rooms in Ojai I would suggest you stay in Ventura.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ojai Rancho Inn? Share your experiences!