“3 days at Ojai Rancho Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ojai Rancho Inn
615 W. Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023 (Formerly Rose Garden Inn)   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Ojai B&B and Inns
spanish2teacher
“3 days at Ojai Rancho Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I took my husband and my 4 years old in the middle of the week to Ojai to spend 3 days at the Inn. We stayed in room #9 ( a premium king with jacuzzi) and we had a great time. My son LOVED the pool and wanted to go back even at night time. The room was very clean and the owners were very friendly, my only critique is going to be the bathroom shower, it was not very clean and it seems clear to me that needs to be upgraded ASAP.The rooms are well decorated, they have microwave and a little fridge and are perfect for a small family or a couple.

I have to be honest but even when their website says "Complimentary Continental Breakfast Each Morning" they only offer coffee and tea in the morning, The only way you can get food is going to one of the restaurants in town,ordering a pizza or if you prefer they have a couple of BBQs at the pool, and you can make your own. We barbecued some hot dogs, corn in the cob and even made s'mores in the fire pit one night.

I will agreed with the previous review about making sure you get a room at the very back of the place because the traffic could be very, very noisy. Will definitely be back but next time I will try a room with kitchenette (I guess it will help specially with my little one) and in the back of the property.

They place is LOVELY and you will enjoy your stay for sure!

Room Tip: Try a room with kitchenette ( it will help specially if you have little ones) and in the back of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Encinitas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms we decorated in a unique way. The people at the office were friendly. Make sure you get a room at the very back as the place is not built well and the traffic is very, very noisy.
The chlorine was so strong that it burnt my skin and the smell was very toxic. I forgot to bring a chlorine reduction shower filter although I am not sure if that would have reduced it enough. Even the towels were extremely strong smelling of chlorine. All it would take is a main filter system to get rid of the chlorine odor.

Room Tip: look for a place not on the main road
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was a fun little overnight adventure to stay here. We were in town for our daughter's nearby soccer game.We enjoyed our stay here, but it was in early October and it was pretty hot out and there was no A/C in our room. We would have enjoyed it so much more if it was cooler and more comfortable in the room. The rooms are made of exposed wood so you feel like you're in a cabin. Nothing is updated, it has a more random decor. Our room had a little kitchenette, which I will say was very randomly stocked with supplies. The big open porches with tables and chairs are inviting. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. Even though they don't provide a breakfast, fresh coffee is put out on the porch in front of the lobby each morning. It's really good coffee.
The Inn is in a great location - out the front, you are just a couple of blocks away from the heart of Ojai, and out the back, the Inn backs onto Ojai's great jogging trail. It's perfect if you like to start your day off with a walk or run.
We love going back to visit Ojai and we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed Ojai Rancho Inn for only one night, but enjoyed it very much. We stayed in a room with Jacuzzi and was a big plus.

I know I would like the place a moment I walked in the reception area. It was an old motel converted and upgraded by young creative owners. The whole place was renovated with good design and eco-conscious way. Even patio chairs they have there are seemingly good'ol aluminum chairs but very "cool" upgraded version of patio chair with nice leather.

It felt too hip every once in a while because it was little bit like hipster Brooklyn in a way, but it was nicely done, so I didn't mind it too much.

My room was pretty dark with small windows but it was like a log cabin and I enjoyed it. The hotel is located 5 min bike ride away from downtown Ojai. There is bike path access right out from back yard of the hotel. They have free bike rental and it was a nice perk.

Good size pool with Sauna and a few Grills out if you want to do a bbq. We only did smores but it was fun.

Ojai is pricey place to stay. Don't expect too much even if the motels come with high price tag.

Room Tip: There are rooms with Jacuzzi or fireplace. I enjoyed my jacuzzi a lot.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We booked two rooms here for four days during a family wedding. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The location, right on the main highway, was convenient. We had two rooms away from the road and heard no road noise. The big beds were comfortable and the decor very cute...sort of 1930's western. The lighting i the room is inadequate for the size and color of the room. The bathrooms are tiny but do the job. There is a coveredporch with outside seating i front of each room and an ice machine in a separate buldingnear the ,ovely outside pool. There are multiple Weber barbecues i the pool area,a shuffleboard p,aying area, and FREE bikes to ride ona very extensive and prettybike trail. One of our rooms was billed as having a " full kitchen" which was stretching the term....dorm-sized refrigerator, small stove and sink. You will need to bring most of what you would need to USE the kitchen, however, as there was only a pan and a scattering of utensils. Air conditioning,ay be inadequate for the space once it gets over 80 degrees. This makes a great family stay, especially if you have children. Its not a typical Holiday Inn kind of lodging. Pet friendly, lovely cactii lanscaping. Hot tub in the non- kichen room did not heat adequately.

Room Tip: Room #6 has mini-kichen and an interior door to room #5, which has a hot tub in the room. The only...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Del Mar, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had to book last minute hotel in Ojai and the only place available was this motel. I booked the room then I looked at the recent reviews on TA and place didn't sound to bad. Unfortunately I guess I was at a different motel then the recent reviews because my room was a big disappointment all around. Let my just mention a few problem areas, the air conditioner unit was too small for the room and was not able to cool the room down. Inadequate lighting in the room which made the room very dark at night and the dark walls didn't help. The bed was too large for the room and not very comfortable. The bathroom was a joke, small and not user friendly at all and I loved the simple plywood door from the bedroom into the bathroom, real classy. This motel is not setback from the road and my room was close to this main road into Ojai and it was noisy all night. Yes, there was a new large flat screen TV in the room, I'll give you that, but that's about all. I paid $180 for this room and It really wasn't worth $49, but with all the other hotels full in town they stick it to you. I can't recommend this motel and if it's the only hotel with available rooms in Ojai I would suggest you stay in Ventura.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

So, you pull up to the Ojai Rancho Inn and you think, 'ugh a motel' and 'this is going to be provisional but not charming.' Then you go into the office to check in and realize that it's way more than meets the eye on the outside.

The owners really were very smart and absolutely got the most possible out of the infrastructure. Yes, it was obviously once a motel motor court type thing. But the rooms are super cute and charming. Huge comfy and super cute bed. Bath with jacuzzi in room. Terrific pool. Great location right along both the main road and the bike path. Speaking of which, free bikes you can borrow and use on the bike path.

If you want super luxury, then, no, don't go here. But if you want to have a really nice time in Ojai with some serious cuteness at less of a price tag than the Inn & Spa, you should definitely consider this place. NB: They do not offer food, but they do put out coffee & tea in the morning. Also, did I mention the free loaner bikes?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ojai Rancho Inn? Share your experiences!