“Good food but too loud” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 87 Restaurants in Ojai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegan
World
“Good food but too loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I like the food.

The music is too loud. I love good music and can even handle good music when played loud. Sometimes the music is not that good and it's too loud. The kitchen seems to have its own sound system and since it's so close to the eating area it seems the music is so loud in the eating area in order to block the sound from the kitchen (just speculating or maybe I was told this once, can't remember). Otherwise, makes no sense to have the music so loud. Anyway, they want it that way, and so be it :) I'll still go back because I like the food. But even if people hear the kitchen noise it's alright -- it's just hip!

The food portions are generally small but it's better to eat light! I paid $13 for a wrap & soup (the soups I've had there are very good).

The silverware seems to always have marks (from washing) that make me question if they're clean -- must be just water marks -- but hey, it's called hip vegan - so you gotta be kind of hip (with deep pockets :) and not too picky about that kind of details!

Also, I sense the food might be a bit too salty. But the menu is very creative and the soups are among the best I've ever had.

Visited August 2014

Yorba linda
“Cute little shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

What a cute little restaurant. It's so small and quaint! The food was fresh and delicious and so creative! Thanks HIP!!!

Visited August 2014
Oakland, CA
“Perhaps the Best Food in Ojai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This quaint, fun, funky place might be about the best place in Ojai to eat. We have been to Ojai about 5 or 6 times and this is consistently the best place to eat. I first must start off by saying that I am not vegan, not a vegetarian and not gluten free. My wife is a vegetarian, so she loves being able to go to a place that has every menu option available to her.

My wife has been here 5 times and I have joined her 3 times and I have never been disappointed with anything from the menu. Last week I had the black bean bowl, it was warm, with a creamy taste, fresh vegetables, well cooked quinoa, with a very fresh, blemish free, tasty avocado on top. The food is always well seasoned, but somehow never salty. I have had their take of a ruben last time and it was pretty satisfying to this occasional meat eater.

Their vegetables are always fresh, the have fun combinations of food. The staff is fun, and hip, but incredibly welcoming to everyone, young and old alike. The outdoor sitting is fun and inviting on a warm day. Ojai is a strange, interesting place, we love it, but the food in many restaurants is often pretty mediocre, but not so here.

It is a fun place to eat, but make no mistake, the food is really superior and very satisfying for all comers, if you aren't a vegan, don't be scared off by this place.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ojai, California
“Best Smoothies in Ojai !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great food, nice atmosphere, outdoor seating. I go there for the smoothies, definitely best Ive ever had!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newbury Park, California
“Still amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

One of my all-time favorite vegan restaurants, stopped in for lunch and had the New York Reuben, fantastic. My daughter had a classic burger with avocado and loved it. Their salads and desserts are out of this world, for us it's worth the 45 minute drive.