“Food was delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Sedona, Arizona
“Food was delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I bicycled in from Ventura and had lunch at this place because of a local recommendation. While I did not drink any alcohol, there are plenty of choices...beer on tap, in the kooler, and lots of wine bottles to choose from also. I had one of my best meals in CA. The fish tacos were delicious, substantial, and would order it again if in the area. My partner enjoyed the wrap with eggplant and peppers, etc. and that was tasty too. They were doing some construction, but I could imagine this place really hopping with music and plenty of people later in the day. Didn't check it out; back on the bicycle.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Ventura, CA
“Great beer, not so food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Four of us ate at OBC Sunday afternoon. I've been there several times and the food and service has been good - not exceptional, just good. They have a tremendous selection of beers to buy (you can buy a beer from the cooler and have it with your meal) and they have a great selection of about 20 beers on tap. They also have a really good selection of wines.

Sunday the place was not crowded but they had one waitress. It took quite a while for the waitress to get our drinks. We ordered sandwiches and it took forever for our food to come. The 50/50 burger I ordered was burned on the outside and way overcooked. My wife's chicken sandwich was dry. The waitress came by and asked my friend if he wanted another beer. "Sure" he says, and by the time I try and say "me too", she's gone.
I'll go back again but only because of the beers. I'll order some food but won't get my hopes up.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Long Beach, California
“fabulous liquor store & bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Amazing find in Ojai - huge beer selection, lots of local wines, and a fun bar in the back where you can do a cheap beer or wine tasting. Food was delicious too! Will definitely go back.

Visited January 2013
Palo Alto, California
“Get the fish tacos!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am still thinking about the fish tacos. Absolutely yummy and spicy and perfect. They were amazing. Great store/restaurant like place. Fantastic beer and wine selection - especially for hard to find foreign beers. Lovely staff. Would go back to Ojai just for this place!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ojai, California
“So much potential so little consistency!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I truly enjoy going to the OBC. You can buy a bottle of wine (or beer) from the liquor store and they'll pour it for you. The ambience is comfortable...BUT...the preparation of the food is so inconsistent that I think they have no recipes and a new cook every night.
The first time I ordered their "adult" Mac 'n cheese...it was perfect. 3 cheeses melted together with a crusty breadcrumb topping: ultimate comfort food. The next time, it was a notch down, but okay. This week it was horrendous! It was macaroni tossed with tons of bread crumbs and out-of-balanced cheese. There was 3 of us sharing it and none of us could tolerate it.
Another time we ordered spicy italian sausage link grilled and served with sun dried tomato, marinated artichoke heart, red bell peppers, fresh basil, garlic oil, and a pomegranate jalapeno & arbol chili sauce. It was fantastic! Spicy and lively. The next time we ordered the same thing and it was so hot (I think the cook used habenro instead of jalapeño) that not one person at the table could eat it. I usually order Blow Your Mind Chicken: Shredded all white meat chicken simmered in hot & tangy buffalo sauce, with crumbled bacon and gorgonzola cheese served on belgian endive for a crisp finish. It is fantastic! But, once in awhilenitbcan be so hot that it burns your mouth. Now I enjoy spicy food...many people can't handle as spicy as I can. With a little more attention to the kitchen, this place could soar.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere