“Look at other options in Ojai” 2 of 5 stars

Chantico Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   406 W OJAI AVE, Ojai, CA 93023   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
San Diego
“Look at other options in Ojai”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The women who was at the front desk should be working at a 5 star resort- her customer service was excellent and much appreciated. The Jacuzzi tub in the room was nice and relaxing, the robes they have in the room are old, and so are the towels and thin. The hotel is within walking distance of the small main street in Ojai. The room itself wasn't set up that great- the mirror area wasn't convenient for getting ready, and the mirror on the dresser was for someone very, very short. The bathmat in the shower was un-excusable to have in a hotel room, or that you would have in your own house-seriously. They offer waffles, toast, cereal and Danish's to go with your coffee or tea in the mornings-nothing special. I had a do not disturb on the door and at 8:30 AM a maid walked in. For the price that you pay here, I would either spend more and go to a better rated hotel or spend less for the one that leaves the light on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Nasty hotel. Out dated, pillows gross and yellow with no cases. Blankets had burns and who knows what else stained on it but my FAVORITE are the ANTS that joined in my BED!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL! They did nothing for us when we told them that there were ants all over the bed so this must be normal to them.

• Stayed July 2013
LA CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

OK, first let me start by saying that I am the kind of person who drives past the signs that say 'Not a Through Street' imagining that the sign is lying and I will actually get through...that being said, you will understand how after reading many horrible reviews I STILL wound up at this 'hotel' for 3 nights.

Here is a list of things that are not right with this place;
1. It has not, no matter what you read, been recently renovated.
2. The ceiling of my room had a huge hole (app 2 feet by 4 feet) that was poorly covered up with a wood board; not sanded, wood puttied and painted...just boarded up.
3.The bathtub had a filthy anti-slip mat that was so disgusting I had to pick it up with a washcloth and throw it on the floor...I refused to step on it.
4. The one window in the room had no screen; options are to open the window and bunk with flies, lizards and other bugs or close it and run the a/c all the time.
5. Walls throughout the room have scuff marks, dirt and cobwebs hanging.
6. Tile floors were so dirty my feet were black after walking across them.
7. Exhausted and ready for bed, I climbed up to the bed and suddenly jumped off...something smelled...really bad. Locating the source, I discovered that the pillows-not the pillow cases-were BEYOND disgustingly dirty; yellow splotches of God knows what on all of them. I called the front desk and when I showed him the pillows he said; yeah, well, it's a hotel, you know?. OMG. I demanded new, clean pillows and he said there were none. Horrified, I had to cover each pillow with three pillow cases to sleep on them and I may need therapy to sort through my PTSD of having to sleep on them at all. The next day I was given two new clean pillows by a different person at the desk.
8.My TV broke on night two. No one knew how to fix it. I await some miracle as I write this review.
9. The bedskirt is ripped and does not stay on the bed.
I could go on...all the lights in the room are very dim, giving the room a creepy vibe at night, everyone seems to smoke outside the rooms-making sitting comfortably on my "private" out-in-the-open-facing-the-parking-lot-patio impossible, the noise from the pool and the highway traffic and the weirdly loud guests screaming to each other from their cars and the pool up to their rooms is unbearable all day and into the night until thankfully everyone collapses around 10 (if I hear Marco Polo ever again, I may need even more therapy), The bed and the sink are way too high; you need a step stool for the bed and the sink if you are under 5'8"...personal preference of interior design, I know, but c'mon-does the bed have to be that high and on and on I go. The bottom line is that this is an over priced, poorly appointed, misrepresented MOTEL and not 'designed with comfort in mind the Chantico Inn welcomes you to a place where old world style and grace, meet modern comfort and convenience' as the website seems to hint.

You may be asking yourself; why did this b***h stay past one night at this crazy a*s motel? Well, I answer your question with this; every single other hotel, motel, Inn and airbnb room was completely booked, and had I not had business in Ojai for the weekend, I would have headed back to my own home asap. You may also be asking why I have given it 2 stars instead of 1...it's because I am a nice person.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has apparently been renovated fairly recently, as everything about it is fresh and welcoming. We spent two weekend nights while in town for Ojai's wonderful annual Storytelling Festival. The continental breakfast each morning was more than enough to keep us satisfied for several hours--choices of make-your-own waffles to instant oatmeal, bagels, cold cereal and fresh fruit. It's about a 3-4 minute walk to the center of town and offers free parking, thus eliminating the need to drive and find parking space. You can reserve here confident of being satisfied with your accomodations.

Room Tip: no elevator to 2nd floor, so request 1st floor if it matters to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Beds were comfortable, linens were clean. Loved Spanish style of the rooms and hotel and friendlystaff. The patio, right outside your room, were you can go and enjoy a glass of wine. They have a morning continental breakfast that is good and every night they have a wine happy hour, which is great. Every room decorated differently with antic furniture and accessories. We will be back.

Room Tip: Great hotel with Spanish charm in the heart of Ojai
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a retreat after tax season and for getting some R&R time. Our room was very nice, the bed was very comfortable and the decor was nice. There were a few items that needed to be tweaked, like a couple of trim tiles that needed to be replaced, but other than that, it was really.nice. The jacuzzi tub was really nice. Also, the pool area was very nice, barely used by anybody, but my wife and I enjoyed it. One of the coolest things is the balconies right outside your room were you can go an enjoy a nice cocktail. They have a morning continental breakfast that is good and every night they have a wine happy hour, which is cool. We took our glasses of wine to our balcony and enjoyed them there. It is only a couple of blocks from the main drag in Ojai, so we walked to most of the locations, so that saves some worries about having a few glasses of wine with your dinner. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a delightful stay at Chantico Inn in Ojai, CA. The Inn is inviting and the staff is friendly and professional. We took an impromptu trip to celebrate March "Pixies" (Ojai's tangerines) Month, so our stay was short (one night), but you get a good feel about the Inn. The Inn is located within a few short blocks of the famed Post Office Tower and was surprisingly quiet at night. I thought since it was situated on the main drag, it might be noisy, but it wasn't at all. We really enjoyed all of the sitting areas in-and-around the property. The continental breakfast was just enough before going off to the Farmer's Market (all organic) on Sunday morning....Hope to return again soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chantico Inn? Share your experiences!