“Needs to be remodeled!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Mojave
“Needs to be remodeled!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Horrible experience. Depending on what room you get, you'll either be too short for the sink, or too tall. The design of the rooms are very strange. Looks nice online, but very disappointed once we got there. I had to get a chair to brush my teeth and wash my face. There was no table. The room was so dark, it was very hard to get ready for an important reunion. The parking lot was full when we came back from our night, there was NOWHERE to park and nobody in the lobby to discuss what to do. Instead we had to park in very small area between cars and couldn't sleep wondering if something would happen to our car. To check out there was nobody in sight. Horrible, I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Dont book here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
World
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The room is worth about $60. It's just a motel with fancy furniture. I don't like the interior design anyway. No carpet. Little nuisance tiles that make the floor look disorderly. The staff are nice. The breakfast is mediocre, The jacuzzi is nice but you hear neighbors' late night so the insulation is not good. The bed is big and fluffy and cozy but too soft for my taste. Closet mirror too short. Lavatory electric socket doesn’t work. I would go there again but there are better choices in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

When we checked there were no cars in the parking lot. They made it sound like they were full. We took one of the rooms.
It was a warm day so we laid by the pool. We found a stack of room keys (10) on a table. Since the hotel was empty we checked to see if the keys worked on other rooms. 3 out of 10 worked on all rooms including ours. We went to the manager and she was pleased that we did come to them and they up graded our plain room to a room with a spa tub and fireplace.

We would go back even if we didn't get an upgrade. It was a cute place.

• Stayed December 2012
berkeley, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

First of all, let me establish that I am not one to write a review in the first place, but, I just can't help myself on this one. This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, primarily because it is conveniently close to our relative's home in Ojai. During the first stay we found ourselves just mildly poking fun at the weird setup, but the second stay made us believe that we would have been happier in a Motel 6. That being said, if the joint was $50 per night, perhaps I would not be writing this, but given that it's somewhat pricey, the flaws become a bit unforgivable. I'm going to list them: hot water is available in the morning but turned down low in the evening. Thus, you can't take a hot shower before bed; there is no soap dish, ledge, or nook in the shower, thus you have to walk across the bathroom to set down the soap or shampoo bottle on the window sill or edge of the sink; the shower is a "gym shower" which is the type where the floor of the shower has no curb separating it from the bathroom floor. Ok, no problem if it's done correctly, but they blew it on the slope of the floor so the shower water spills out into the bathroom floor, and then through the door threshold and into the main room, which is pathetic and dangerous; the shower drain has no grille on it, which is both gross and again dangerous because you can cut your foot on the nasty pipe lip that the grille is intended to conceal; the bath exhaust fan does not work; there is no counter space in either the main rooom or the bathroom. If you are going to swap out a vanity for a pedestal sink, please provide a counter somewhere in the room to set your stuff down; the entire floor of the unit is terra cotta tile with ornamental high relief tiles randomly set about the floor. Normally this would not be a problem as they are simply going for a specific Mexicali design, BUT, if you are going to go that route, you have to do a better job of cleaning the place. I am not a germaphobe, but the tile floor was absolutely hideous. After I mopped up the floor with one of the provided white terry towels as necessitated by the flooding gym shower, I had to shudder at the condition of the towel afterwards. It was black with grime, and I had actually changed the color of the tiles after the mop up. What is worse, is that the high relief decorative tiles had so much crud built up in their crevices that I could chip it out with the tine on a plastic fork. So, it's kind of a cute, yet awkward place. However, for the price, they need to get back to the basics and clean the room and fix the broken stuff. Service is fine. Location is handy. The parking lot is very tight and if 3/4 full, you need to back out of it onto the main street which is a bit tricky.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The manager thought he was doing us a favor giving us the manager's room which turned out to be a big mistake. The room has not been upgraded with cracked dirty tiles. It has a separate back entrance but be careful not to leave anything around on the floor because the ants will attack which forced us to throw away all the fresh fruit we had just purchased. The service was okay but when I called to tell the my feelings the manager got very emotional and hung up on me. Will not be going back.

Room Tip: The other rooms might be fine but do not take the manager's room which was too expensive and cos...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We (family of 5) stayed here 2 nights and I am totally baffled by the bad reviews. If you want a luxury resort, stay at a luxury resort. If you want a cute, local inn with tons of warmth and charm this is the place. Customer service was very personal and welcoming. Super cute areas in the lobby and upstairs to sit and enjoy. We stayed in a room near the pool which was perfect. Rooms weren't huge but sufficed and all the rooms (at least on the 2nd floor) have charming antique furniture and a cute porch area to sit with coffee or a cocktail and read/relax. If I'm in the area I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We preferred room by the pool as it is farthest from the street/parking lot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were i'n ojai and were debating where to stay we checked out a couple hotels and decided on chantico because it was the best deal and the rooms were nice. The service was great; they had free wine, a jacuzzi, and excellent customer service. I would most definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting the town and the location was great also right by the main street.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Chantico Inn? Share your experiences!